Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
-Sam from California
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR KIND WORDS, ENCOURAGEMENT & WELL WISHES. HERE'S AN UPDATE.

AFTER THE ULTRA SOUND, BLOOD TEST & X-RAY IT WAS CONFIRMED THAT BRUCE HAD CANCER IN HIS SPLEEN. FROM THE X-RAYS THEY COULD SEE THAT IT WASN'T BLEEDING & THE REST OF HIS ORGANS WERE IN GOOD HEALTH, SO THEY SAID HE WAS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR SUGERY. THE SURGEON WAS OFF THAT DAY, BUT MADE A SPECIAL TRIP TO DO BRUCES SURGERY WHICH WAS SUPPOSE TO BE NEXT WEEK. I'M THANKFUL FOR THAT, & AS OF NOW, BRUCE IS RIGHT NEXT TO ME RESTING. ALTHOUGH IT DIDN'T SHOW ON THE X-RAY WHEN THE DOCTOR WAS OPERATING, HE SAW THAT THE CANCER HAS STARTED ON HIS LIVER. THIS PROGNOSIS HAS DEVASTATED ME BECAUSE I KNOW HIS TIME IS LIMITED.

THE DOCTOR SAID, "How long he'll be around, you can't predict but don't feel guilty knowing at least you gave him another chance and you tried everything."

FROM HERE, I'M TRYING TO EXPECT THE WORST BUT HOPE FOR THE BEST. HE'LL LET ME KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME. SPLENECTOMY'S CAN PROLONG THEIR LIFE DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF CANCER & HOW FAST IT SPREADS. MY GOAL IS TO KEEP HIM AS COMFORTABLE FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE & TRY TO START THE GRIEVING PROCESS.

IT'S HARD TO IMAGINE THE HOUSE EMPTY, WITH HIS TOYS ALL AROUND. IMAGINING WAKING UP TO NO ONE NUZZLING HIS WAY ONTO THE BED OR TAPPING HIS HAPPY FEET WHEN WE GET UP. IT'S HARD TO THINK OF THE DAY WHEN I'LL SEE SOMETHING THAT REMINDS ME OF HIM. IT'S HARD TO THINK OF LOOKING IN THE BACK SEAT OF THE CAR & HIM NOT STICKING HIS FACE OUT OF THE WINDOW. ALL OF THIS IS SO HARD FOR ME, BUT I'M GONNA TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME.

MY HEART IS HURTING WHEN I LOOK AT HIM, SLEEPING PEACEFULLY. I IMAGINE HIS FATE IN DUE TIME & I HAVE TO TURN AWAY, AS TEARS START TO FALL. I'M TRYING TO BE STRONG FOR HIM. THAT'S MY BOY.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
So sorry to hear about the diagnosis, and especially that the cancer had spread. Was the surgeon able to remove any of the cancer on the liver?

My heart goes ut to you. I can't even fathom a life without my girl< either. Hopefully Bruce will recover from the surgery well and be kept happy and comfortable with meds for many months to come. Try not to start grieving in front of Bruce. He'll pick up on your sadness and it might make him feel anxious. He doesn't know he is sick. Be happy and strong for him - and enjoy every moment.

Sending you positive thoughts.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Sorry to hear all that ... enjoy him the best you can ... perhaps a steak dinner once in a while? :)

Also, it's hard to think about, but consider getting another dog without too much delay. It's difficult to think about when you're losing a beloved friend, and some people want some time to elapse between, but I'm of the opinion that new love helps people heal.

I hope Bruce bounces back from his surgery quickly so you can get out and make memories together.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Generally, if the tumor has metastasized to the liver visibly, those parts of the liver are not removed... Best wishes to Bruce for a speedy recovery. He has such a cute face.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Sorry to hear the news but I hope you do understand you have done everything you could! Spoil him often and always remember to cherish every second with him. Hope he recovers quickly..give him lots of hugs and kisses!

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
So very sorry for Bruce's diagnosis. I know how hard it is when you know their time is limited. Try to take it one day at a time. A few here have been lucky and had them longer than the doctors had given. Sending thoughts to you for more time with Bruce that is free of pain.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts
Praying real hard for Bruce and on Friday night a candle will be lit. What a beautiful face he has.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts