Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

An update on Stokley... they still don't know what it is!

441 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BeauShel 
#1 ·
So I posted over a month ago about Stokley (the dog we adopted with skin problems) and how they came to the conclusion they thought it was mange.... well here we are 3 weeks later and no.. it is NOT mange.
See here.. http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=50808

Any way so hundreds of dollars later.. we are back to square one as food allergy. His hot spots are gone.. but he still has little red looking pimples on his body.

So we have started him on Science Diet DD potatoe and venus or something. It is prescription Diet. So we are on am 8 week food trial. nice After we spent another $500 on treatments for something he didn't have! I am starting to get really frustrated.

He also gave him 2 shots of cortizone this week. Which has definitely helped in the itching but has turned sweet Stokley in a food craving animal LOL. He even got into the trash can last night which he has NEVER done.. tries and takes food from us... it is like he is starving. He said that is normal from the shot though?

So now he gets no treats, and we still don't know what is wrong or what the allergy is. I am just getting really annoyed. Not at the dog.. and not at the doctor.. just at the fact that he seems miserable.. he is either itchy.. or starving... sleeping.. or crazy like.

So now we have to hide our trash can and find creative ways to give dog food as treats LOL They gave me a recipe on how to make them into cookies though. I just feel bad for him. I can't imagine how miserable he must have been with his old owner.

Oh and to top it off.. his one ear that had the hematoma... is getting infected again... so back on anti-biotics for his ears too... and prednisone every other day too. He has more medicine then we do as a family.

There has to be another way!

Sorry.. just upset as I just spent another $120 at the vets office for a progress check up since he was just there on Monday and spent $167. We will not be able to keep paying $100 a week for all of this. Yes I know.. I should have taken that into consideration when we got a dog... and I did.. but $100 a week was not expected.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm sorry for what you and Stokley are going through. :(
I unfortunately have no advice since skin allergies or problems are not something I'm familiar with - good for me!
I can also sympathize with the unexpected expenses and lack of results.
I just wanted to say I hope it gets better for both of you. :crossfing

#4 ·
I would ask for a recommendation to a dermotologist or a vet school if there is one in your area. It sounds like they are playing a guessing game and you and Stockley are paying the price. Or like Deb said contact a holistic vet. Can you help fill him up with unsalted green beans in his meal until the steriods are out of his system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.