Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering giving Scout a boiled egg twice a week in exchange for one regular cup of dog food (she gets one cup, twice daily). Does that sound nutrition-wise to be ok?

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
I give Jupiter an egg at least once a week, but in addition to his regular food. I find that the egg helps keep his coat nice and shiny.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
My Egglands best are 80 cals per egg while their food is not quite 400 cals/cup. I'd cut the food back by a quarter cup and THEN add the egg.

·
16,000 Posts
I give mine a hard boiled egg, SHELL ON, daily for those being shown, weekly or every other week for those not. I give it in addition to the regular ration.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Eggs are good and provide a different amino profile than meats. They're a great thing to add for variety (in moderation). They also have some great fats in them for coat health.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Lucky would love an egg. I think I will treat him.

Can they have raw eggs? Or is there a risk for that?

I give mine a raw egg once every couple weeks or so with no issues, shell and all. Dill LOVES taking the egg outside with him whole and crunching on the shell before eating everything.. Sam hates the shell, so I crunch the shell up into small pieces for him and give him everything in a bowl.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I give mine a raw egg once every couple weeks or so with no issues, shell and all. Dill LOVES taking the egg outside with him whole and crunching on the shell before eating everything.. Sam hates the shell, so I crunch the shell up into small pieces for him and give him everything in a bowl.
Thanks! I might give it a try and see what he thinks. I imagine its best given outside or I might have a mess.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Thanks! I might give it a try and see what he thinks. I imagine its best given outside or I might have a mess.

Definitely if you give it to him whole. Also definitely supervise the first time... Sam thought it was a ball and just carried it around the yard in his mouth. I had to physically crunch his jaw down on it so he knew there was yummyness inside LOL

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Definitely if you give it to him whole. Also definitely supervise the first time... Sam thought it was a ball and just carried it around the yard in his mouth. I had to physically crunch his jaw down on it so he knew there was yummyness inside LOL
Yep! I put it on the sidewalk and Lucky carried it in his mouth for our entire walk. He then saw a dead mouse laying on the road and gently placed the egg down and went after the mouse.

After our wrestle away from the mouse, I cracked the egg and he started lapping. It took five minutes for him to get his tongue in there and wipe the inside of the egg clean before finally crunching on the shell and disposing of it all. Then we had another 5 minutes of licking the road where the egg was.

Ha ha, I might try it hard boiled next time. Maybe then he will just eat it.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
When I gave Tysen his first raw egg, he GENTLY picked it up and look so proud , but he would NOT break it. That's a golden for ya.

Sorry to de-rail this thread.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Yep! I put it on the sidewalk and Lucky carried it in his mouth for our entire walk. He then saw a dead mouse laying on the road and gently placed the egg down and went after the mouse.

After our wrestle away from the mouse, I cracked the egg and he started lapping. It took five minutes for him to get his tongue in there and wipe the inside of the egg clean before finally crunching on the shell and disposing of it all. Then we had another 5 minutes of licking the road where the egg was.

Ha ha, I might try it hard boiled next time. Maybe then he will just eat it.

LOL well sounds like he enjoyed it atleast :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts