Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, I'm hoping to get some input on a new puppy.

I have a 1 year old Golden Retriever named Ranger who I am currently training as a therapy dog. I wanted to get him a friend for the day when I was gone and started looking for another Golden as they have very quickly become by favorite breed.

I found a local breeder (family farm breeder) who had a 4 month old puppy that no one wanted because she was born with Amniotic band constriction around her front right paw - causing her to loose it. Her paw is removed about 5 inches below her elbow (See photo Below). We decided to take her because she has a fantastic personality. We ended up naming her Gabby.

I took her to the Vet to see if there was anything we could do to help prevent long term damage. While she gets around just fine, you can clearly see her body compensating for it (her spine alignment, her shoulder, the one good front paw - all are not normal as they have been over correcting)

Again, my concern is not so much mobility as she gets around just fine now, I want to make sure that we try and prevent long term issues (arthritis, spine issues, etc.) We are researching a prosthetic now, but they are very expensive so it may be a little before we can afford one. We were also told by the vet that because she has grown up without the prosthetic her body has adapted to not using one, and by putting one on now, it could cause some more issues.

Does anyone have any ideas of things we can do to prevent long term issues, or have any other ideas to help?

Looking forward to hearing all your great ideas!

R.J., Ranger, & Gabby

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi! Sorry, I don't have any useful information but she is BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely gorgeous, love her. I have a 3 legged rescue house bunny and she too gets around fine but her back legs are now splayed due to the pressure on them. She loves life and hops and runs faster than my 4 legged bunny. I hope you get some answers from people more knowledgeable than me :) x

·
Registered
524 Posts
You are --so-- smart to be thinking about this now!

Find a board certified rehab vet - s/he will be a great resource now and throughout her life. My dogs go to one and she's talked a lot about how the 3-legged dogs don't do as well as we used to think due to how the rest of the body has to compensate (as you've already noticed!).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are --so-- smart to be thinking about this now!

Find a board certified rehab vet - s/he will be a great resource now and throughout her life. My dogs go to one and she's talked a lot about how the 3-legged dogs don't do as well as we used to think due to how the rest of the body has to compensate (as you've already noticed!).
Thanks so much for the great suggestion SwimDog! I have done some research but there does not seem to be one anywhere within 6 hours of me (I am in the middle of no where - as far north as you can get in NY without going into Canada) Is there maybe a resource you use to find them?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Gabby is absolutely adorable! You are wonderful people to want to give her the best chances in life. I would contact Cornell. If they are too far, perhaps they could recommend someone who can help.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Adorable... So glad you found her! Are any of these near you?
http://local.veterinarypracticenews...rotocols_Potsdam_NY-r1304737-Potsdam_NY.html
I would suggest you keep googling, ask local vets, and if you know anyone who participates in a dog sport (especially agility) they will likely be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck! Looking forward to seeing more of Gabby and her life with you (and your other dog too)!

Julie and the boys

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
524 Posts
There may be someone appropriate but not board certified nearby - or it's worth the drive (i go 12 hours as needed for my dogs. It's so stupid to drive that far, but I hate that I waited years to do it- I would have saved a lot of time, money, and improved health for my dogs if I had gone sooner).

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
How about even a dog chiropractor? Thank you for giving her a loving home.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Gabby sure is a beauty.Thanks for taking her in :)

My buddy has lived with 3 legs since birth also. He has developed arthritis in his back and only front paw.

My boy is getting regular chiropractic adjustments and has laser therapy on his back and paw. He was about 5 when symptoms of joint issues arose.

He will be 10 this summer and even with his issues still gets along OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
There was a gal on FB asking for donations on a fund me site, I can try to find it- I remember she had to wait till her dog was old enough to get a permanent prosthetic but was using something till then. Maybe that's the sort of thing that if outgrown, can be used for another dog till it grows enough to get a permanent fitted leg?
I'll look for it for you.
edit:Her name is Heather Mullen. Maybe you can friend her and she can help you with her experience.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
If you Google "veterinary rehabilitation New York," you will find a variety of places that might help. There is one in Syracuse (Veterinary Medical Center, Central New York: Emergency, Specialty & Critical Care: East Syracuse, NY) and another in Buffalo (Buffalo NY Pet Physical Therapy & Rehabilitation | Orchard Park Veterinary Medical Center LLP). Cornell University has a veterinary sports medicine and rehabilitation service, too (Companion Animal Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation). If neither of these is close, there are others listed as well.

Good luck to you and Gabby.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gabby is such a cutie! I think that when you come across an animal that no one else wants, it's because they've been waiting on you - who they were meant to be with.

I think trying to find a rehab vet is a great suggestion. If it is too far to make regular visits possible, then at least one consultation would be worth it. I'm sure you would get valuable information on what types of exercises/massage/range-of-motion... you can do with her at home on a regular basis.

Also, you may already be doing this, but starting a quality joint supplement now, and maybe also Ester-C, would be a great idea. Of course, keeping her lean throughout her life is hugely important.

Best of luck with your new girl! Look forward to hearing about her progress!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi, she is beautiful! I just wanted to say when I needed a prosthetic for myself, I went to this place and while they were casting me, we talked about my dogs and the therapist I had, Mike was his name, mentioned that he and a partner were making prosthetics for dogs that were in need. He gave me a flyer but I gave it to my vet to keep on hand. But you could contact them at the clinic below.
Winkley Othotics and Prosthetics 1-888-946-5539 Ask for Mike
Eau Claire

1 - 16 of 16 Posts