Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is strange to see so much debate over American Vs. English. Perhaps because I'm not sure I'm clear on what's being debated. Perhaps the debaters aren't even clear on whet their debating?

If the question is which type is better, then the debating will go on forever. It's a matter of individual preference, and, I doubt that many of us care - or mind- what the other wishes to prefer.

The "American" Golden, you know - the type that has "Golden Retriever" characteristics and qualities, is a Golden Retriever. If one wishes to have Golden Retrievers, then, there's no debating that Golden Retrievers is what they should get.

I can't say if White English Retrievers are better dogs to own or not. No more than I know if a sheep dog is better than a Golden. But if I wanted a sheep dog I wouldn't buy a Golden. And I wouldn't buy a White English Retriever if I was wanting a Golden Retriever; and, god forbid I further confuse the issue, by being determined to have Goldens, yet purchase White English (because someone said they were better); never-the-less, it was Goldens I wanted so I'll call the white English dogs Golden and pretend there is no difference.

I have no argument for
anyone as to which type is better. But there is no arguing that one type is a Golden Retriever and the other, is another type of dog - a handsome type with a white coat, short Muzzle, and more of a block head.

I am more drawn to Golden Retrievers
so this is the Breed of dog I choose have. What's your preference, the Golden's or Britain's English White Retrievers which seem to be a very popular dog as well?

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
Hmmmm......

I like them both (as well as the "American" Field lines), but I prefer the "American" conformation style -- visually. I think they all originally came from the same lineage, didn't they? Then, over the years breeders bred for this feature or that feature, no? And that is why they look a bit different?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hmmmm why bring this up and what is your point its your first post perhaps you should have looked at the many threads/posts that have been posted on this subject. Sorry don't mean to be rude:no: but a first post is usually a bit of an introduction about you and your Golden.
So I will just say welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I think in their breading, some have pursued "this or that" feature that best reinforces the consistency of the breed; while, others have bred in "this and that" pursuant to achieving a marketing edge bye hijacking distortions and selling them as improvements.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I really shouldn't be answering as I am not as eloquent as some others. There is no English White and American Red they are Golden Retrievers. The choices you have for registering them (AKC) are light gold, gold, dark gold (I may have missed a couple). Nowhere does it say American, or English White. These are marketing ploys of unscrupulous "greeders" to get more money out of unsuspecting buyers.

Yes, the dogs from England generally have a different look or body type and color range then the dogs here in America, but they are still Golden Retrievers. A lot of the field dogs look different then the breed ring dogs, but they are, or should be, still within the standard.

I'm hoping someone else will chime in, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh...And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome Lucy and welcome GoldenIsGolden Lucy you are a beautiful girl and as your Mums/Dads name suggests a Golden is a Golden what ever the shade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome. We're happy to be here; and, now that I released all negativity by posting this potentially antagonistic thread, I'll be back to my usual courteous and friendly self and will not be making any waves here.

I'm not a champion dog shower or anything. Just a guy who likes Golden Retrievers and loves my dog.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts

I for one just have golden retrievers and AM someone who shows their dogs... .... now what I don't understand is why you would want to come to the board... and have your first post be antagonistic and judgmental and then expect to be welcomed... it stinks of someone who just wants to cause trouble.

Oh and for the record .... breading is what you put on chicken before you fry it... breeding is about dogs

and a shower is what you take in the morning before you get dressed

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Shalva - What an absolutely gorgeous dog. Wow! Thanks for these photos.
actually there are a few dogs here

the first two are Connie
then Alex
then Kaelyn (My Connie, Emmett and Bings mother)
then the last two are Bing....
the last picture is my emmett

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
What debate? I didn't know there even was one...

Maybe you were thinking about a different forum or the Internet more generally? I've never even seen the term White Retriever used on the forum...

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
actually there are a few dogs here

the first two are Connie
then Alex
then Kaelyn (My Connie, Emmett and Bings mother)
then the last two are Bing....
I dont have any good pictures of Emmett on my website so will have to remedy that
OMG! Alex is gorgeous! :smooch: What beautiful dogs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I for one just have golden retrievers and AM someone who shows their dogs... .... now what I don't understand is why you would want to come to the board... and have your first post be antagonistic and judgemental and then expect to be welcomed... it stinks of someone who just wants to cause trouble.

Oh and for the record .... breading is what you put on chicken before you fry it... breeding is about dogs

and a shower is what you take in the morning before you get dressed

Those are some awesome, beautiful dogs you have. They look different than the traditional Golden Retriever - but, no doubt, as beautiful in their own way. Perhaps British White Golden Retrievers that have been bred to look like yours, are distinctive enough to be considered their own breed?

Anyway, it is true that I am a poor speller. I can spell "Judgmental" curiously enough. As for my indelicate introduction, you are right. I was irritated about something and the emotion spilled over into my post. It was wrong and I am sorry. I blew it and, to answer you question, I wouldn't expect such disagreeable behavior to be welcomed, not warmly anyway.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Those are some awesome, beautiful dogs you have. They look different than the traditional Golden Retriever - but, no doubt, as beautiful in their own way. Perhaps British White Golden Retrievers that have been bred to look like yours, are distinctive enough to be considered their own breed?

Anyway, it is true that I am a poor speller. I can spell "Judgmental" curiously enough. As for my indelicate introduction, you are right. I was irritated about something and the emotion spilled over into my post. It was wrong and I am sorry. I blew it and, to answer you question, I wouldn't expect such disagreeable behavior to be welcomed, not warmly anyway.

the thing is that the only ones who call their dogs British White are irresponsible breeders who are trying to make money off a fad and off the backs of their dogs... those of us who do like the English style of dogs and are responsible breeders don't use or market our dogs as British White, Cream, Silver, Platinum or any of the other stupid names that the irresponsible breeders use.

This should not be an issue or a debate... people have preferences... and are entitled to have preferences and there is no debate... the rest of us just love golden retrievers regardless of how light or dark gold they happen to be....

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Why would we need a new breed? What's wrong with keeping Shalva's dogs Golden Retrievers?

Reactions: Blondie

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts