Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi GR folks
I am hoping y’all can help me identify what type of Golden Retriever my boy is! He was rehomed to me at 9 weeks of age so I was not fortunate enough to see his parents or get the breeders info.
He is a lot darker than most GRs we have seen in Australia, and is a lot bigger also! He is very social, however likes his own space when he is tired. He is very chilled for a 1 year old also, and would prefer to stay home and chew his toys than go for a walk. Some of my friends who have goldens call him lazy, but I think he is just chilled and that’s his temperament. He loves learning new tricks and doing puzzles. I am really keen to hear what you guys think!
Thanks a million :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
Golden Retrievers don't come in 'types'... there are different 'styles' but he wouldn't fall into any of the usual descriptors imo. He's a cute boy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
So handsome! To me, he looks typical of what I think of as "American style," but I have an American-style dog and his dam's side is pretty much all European and Australian... His Mom is a pretty typical light "European" style Golden who finished her breed Championship in Canada (her "style" is what many refer to as "English Cream"). So genetically... who knows?!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Your boy looks like a Conformation (show as opposed to a working) style Golden that is a mid golden shade. There are permissible shades of Golden but not different sub categories of the breed.

There can be some difference between field (working) and conformation Golden’s but they are still both the same breed. Main difference is in size, build and energy level. But saying that plenty of confirmation Golden’s engage in relevant sporting hobbies to the breeds original purpose.

Just in my little patch of Dorset England I can be out on a walk and come across conformation GR’s usually mid golden shade to light golden, as well as, leaner less heavy set field GR’s that tend to be mid to dark golden shade.

My boy Teddy is a very light golden conformation GR, while he’s not as fast as some Golden’s he’s not lazy. He enjoys walking for three hours a day and loves to do swim retrieving, loves loves carrying things, prefers to carry than retrieve on land. Can swim in the sea on and off with us for an hour easily.

·
Super Moderator
226 Posts
A golden is a golden is a golden, but he looks like what some would call the typical "conformation type" golden you see most commonly around here. He's not dark to me at all, he's a very middle of the road gold color.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
To me, he looks like a typical pet-bred golden. Who knows what his pedigree is, though I’d say probably American pet-quality lines.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So handsome! To me, he looks typical of what I think of as "American style," but I have an American-style dog and his dam's side is pretty much all European and Australian... His Mom is a pretty typical light "European" style Golden who finished her breed Championship in Canada (her "style" is what many refer to as "English Cream"). So genetically... who knows?!
Thank you for the informative reply - I was thinking American also but was super interested to hear what you all think :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your boy looks like a Conformation (show as opposed to a working) style Golden that is a mid golden shade. There are permissible shades of Golden but not different sub categories of the breed.

There can be some difference between field (working) and conformation Golden’s but they are still both the same breed. Main difference is in size, build and energy level. But saying that plenty of confirmation Golden’s engage in relevant sporting hobbies to the breeds original purpose.

Just in my little patch of Dorset England I can be out on a walk and come across conformation GR’s usually mid golden shade to light golden, as well as, leaner less heavy set field GR’s that tend to be mid to dark golden shade.

My boy Teddy is a very light golden conformation GR, while he’s not as fast as some Golden’s he’s not lazy. He enjoys walking for three hours a day and loves to do swim retrieving, loves loves carrying things, prefers to carry than retrieve on land. Can swim in the sea on and off with us for an hour easily.
Oh this is great - thank you! After reading your advice I agree that my Teddy is confirmation! I got the giggles when I read that your Teddy loves a three hour walk - my Teddy would be SO off me if I made him walk 3 hours lol! Having said that - he does love swimming and he loves playing with other dogs at the dog park. He is only 1 and we are just coming out of the hot Aussie summer, so a lot of his 'laziness' could be heat related I am thinking.
Thanks again for taking to time to reply - this is great info!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A golden is a golden is a golden, but he looks like what some would call the typical "conformation type" golden you see most commonly around here. He's not dark to me at all, he's a very middle of the road gold color.
[/QUOTE -
Thanks for your reply - yes I agree he is conformation type! I also agree that a golden is a golden - I was asked at the dog park yesterday if he is American or English and I had no clue. I felt a bit silly actually lol. I was interested to hear what you all thought. Its funny - here in Australia the light goldens seem to be a lot more common. We get stopped all the time and asked about Teddy. Everywhere we go, people often comment that he is so dark.
Thanks again for your reply :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To me, he looks like a typical pet-bred golden. Who knows what his pedigree is, though I’d say probably American pet-quality lines.
Thanks for the reply - yes I am thinking he is more the American type. It will remain a mystery... ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’m in a similar situation with my Teddy as you are with yours.
We adopted Teddy when he was 18 months, he’s now a bit over 2 and 1/2.
All we know is he comes from a breeder in the southwest of UK. He’s very evidently an conformation golden bred to show breed lines, although, I’m not saying he would win any competitions!
Hardest thing I find about not knowing our Golden’s breeding lines is not knowing their parents/grandparents health history.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m in a similar situation with my Teddy as you are with yours.
We adopted Teddy when he was 18 months, he’s now a bit over 2 and 1/2.
All we know is he comes from a breeder in the southwest of UK. He’s very evidently an conformation golden bred to show breed lines, although, I’m not saying he would win any competitions!
Hardest thing I find about not knowing our Golden’s breeding lines is not knowing their parents/grandparents health history.
Oh my gosh he is beautiful! My Teddy would absolutely LOVE him :)
Yes it is something i always think about. I would love to track down Teds mother and father, just to know what they are like.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh my gosh he is beautiful! My Teddy would absolutely LOVE him :)
Yes it is something i always think about. I would love to track down Teds mother and father, just to know what they are like.
Yes Golden’s seem to recognise each other and make a bee line towards each other to play. I’m sure the two Teddy’s would love each other.
I’ve not done it but there some people on here have done some kind of health DNA testing (member SoCal I think did it abs posted about it) and origin DNA testing.

·
Kate
21,780 Posts
Am assuming you are in Australia... which probably makes US/CAN lines a long shot.... probably an Aussie? :)

Should add - have always thought Australian bred goldens are a smidge more moderate than European? Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes Golden’s seem to recognise each other and make a bee line towards each other to play. I’m sure the two Teddy’s would love each other.
I’ve not done it but there some people on here have done some kind of health DNA testing (member SoCal I think did it abs posted about it) and origin DNA testing.
Oh yes I have heard about this! We have a rescue who we think is Staffy X Kelpie so i have always been keen to do a DNA test on him - i will look it to it for both of them!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Am assuming you are in Australia... which probably makes US/CAN lines a long shot.... probably an Aussie? :)

Should add - have always thought Australian bred goldens are a smidge more moderate than European? Maybe I'm wrong.
Hehe yes I agree the USA Canada things is a long shot - maybe there is a stow away in the family? ;)
The majority of Goldens I have seen here in Aus are more moderate yes! They all seem very athletic and also really light, almost white. Teddy is above average height and weight (although not overweight) and is a lot more chilled. He is getting darker also - which I LOVE! I lived in the USA when i was younger and the family i nannied for had a Golden. He was a beautiful dark gold named Jake. I have been dreaming of being a dog Mumma ever since :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts