Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber has been using the doggy door for almost a month with no accidents inside. Yesterday I closed our bedroom door where the doggy door is located. She peed right in front of the doggy door. My bad! Last night she peed in front of the open bedroom door and this morning on our bedroom carpet 3 feet from the doggy door. She doesn't seem to care either way, until she is scolded and put in her crate/kennel for a timeout. The only other change has been the weather as we have had some rain and light snowfall.

Any suggestions on how to get her back on track are appreciated. :wavey:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Let me get this straight. You leave your puppy unattended, expecting her to go through the doggy door to relieve herself when she has to, but when she has an accident and you find it later on, you scold her and put her in her crate? Or are you scolding her AS you see her urinating on the floor?

Does she see disturbed by the snow at all?

Also, if she seems to be urinating more frequently than normal, have her checked for a UTI.

·
Premium Member
18,415 Posts
You need to go back to square one with house training. Take her out to potty, and praise her when she goes. Do not punish her for accidents in the house, especially after the fact, dogs do not "remember" what they did 3 minutes before, so she is not connecting the potty accident with going in her crate. If you catch her in the act, do not punish, interrupt her, pick her or lead her outside to the potty area and praise her for going where she should.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
How old is she now? I would go back and start potty-training again. I know some of our's as puppy's (less than a year old) would just seem to "forget" their potty-training. I just put them back on the routine of taking them outside on a schedule again and it seemed to get them back in shape again. Maybe entice her through the doggy-door with a treat on your way out for a potty break. I have found it doesn't do much to scold them, other than to not make them want to come to me. When you see her squating to pee, quickly grab her collar, say no and head out side. Good luck.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Amber is never left unattended. Either my husband or myself are in the room or the next room with her. If alone, she is in her 10x10 foot kennel in the basement. She has been very happily using her doggy door for weeks now on her own. Caught her in the act and she was scolded with just an "Uh-oh'. She is NEVER scolded after-the-fact! Good point to take her directly back outside. Will do. We will start back to square one with her.
I did notice with my Papillon and senior dog that they do not like to go outside when it is raining or snowing. Some accidents happen in that situation. My husband built a 10x10 foot all enclosed, roofed kennel for the dogs so they would be safely away from the predator hawks and owls in our area. Amber uses the same.

Thanks for your observations and suggestions :wavey:!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts