Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber (7 mos) was just diagnosed on Saturday with Panosteitis, left humerus. She is doing well, but is on restricted exercise to leash-walk for the next two weeks. Pain medications were given on a as-needed basis, only if she seems very uncomfortable. Has anyone else's GR had this and how long did it take for the pano to resolve? Thanks so much :wavey:.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going Crazy!

Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping Amber busy while she is "resting"? She is getting frustrated and so are we. She started pulling up carpet again last night.:yuck:

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Poor baby

What about interactive dog toys that make her think?
Dog Toys Interactive Games from PETCO.com

You could also use a cupcake tray, cover openings with tennis balls, and place food in some of the holes.

Hope she feels better soon.

Reactions: Amberbark

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pano, Help!

Did anyone else dog have panosteitis as a juvenile. We kept Amber on leash-walk (5 minutes) only for almost two weeks and inside the house. We let her out this weekend for 5 minutes of free run and she started limping ON THE OTHER leg. We gave her the first 1/2 tablet of pain medication last night. This morning hard to tell. How are you supposed to keep a GR puppy and us from going crazy if the cannot have any exercise? Sheesh.......:(.

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
Pano is kind of like growing pains, it is typical for it to move to different legs, and should resolve over a couple of weeks, maybe a little longer.

MikaTullah has a good suggestion with the interactive toys. Also up you obedience training with sits, downs, maybe add roll over, play dead, etc., things that would not require her to do a lot of walking around.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@MikaTallulah and @mylissyk,

I have some games toys for her and I have started obedience training with her as of last week. She has taken a Puppy Class and starts next week in a Games Class;). I will take her into Novice Obedience class myself closer to 9 months. I just feel bad for her and that we had to give her a pain pill. Hopefully, she is better in the next two weeks or so. Thanks for this and all of the additional support and advice that you provide :wavey:.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had a dog 15 years ago with pano. I think it was pretty much gone by the time he was a year old. It would come and go and move from leg to leg. I just let him restrict himself. There were no long term problems with it and he never produced it in his offspring. Get a clicker and a bunch of small treats and just start training silly tricks. If you keep him mentally stimulated he'll be happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts