Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber was diagnosed today with Panoseitis (pano), but an x-ray to her stomach while she was under sedation showed NO pea gravel ingested. We are glad....:wavey:

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I must admit I hadn't heard of Panoseitis, but googled it and read a few articles. The good thing I read is that normally last 2-5 months and prognosis is very good. It is disheartening to read that they don't know the cause!

Did they give her pain medication or asprin? I hope she is not in much pain? Please carry through this with us as it is the only way we learn.

I am so very, very sorry to hear this. Will hope it only takes the shortest amount of time to run it course. Amber you take it easy for a few weeks, you hear?

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Panosteitis

Hi Deber,

Amber is doing well. The vet said to restrict her exercise to leash-only outside for two weeks. He gave her pain medication to use only if she really overdoes it. He said to keep her on the same diet (Natural Balance Potato and Duck) and not to increase her protein percentage right now :no:. She seems fine and our worst problem is trying to keep her from the Puppy 500 in the evenings. Such a quandary.....she is supposed to have exercise to tire her out, but cannot for now. :(:wavey:

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have any recommendations for keeping Amber busy while she is "resting"? She is getting frustrated and so are we. She started pulling up carpet again last night.:yuck:

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Teach a lot of little tricks. Roll a ball with your nose, "touch", leave it, watch me, find it, flip a switch, put things in a basket, etc.

I have also read that you should ideally switch to a LOW- low protein. For example, to a grocery store brand food for 1 month. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
189 Posts
How is Amber's Pano? Found out today that Peyton has it in one of her back legs. It's been in that leg for about a month but doing a lot better. I think she also had it in one of her front legs before that for about 4 days. Good thing is they'll outgrow it and doesn't cause damage.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
estesbubba

@estesbubba

The pano seems to come and go. We rest her until we see no limping, then let her play for 5 minutes outside unrestrained. If she starts to limp again, then back on restricted play inside only. I swear that it has switched legs a couple of times. I (and the vet) are the only ones that seem to see it. I took many dogs in the ring and from watching movement, I can see the littlest head drop. She has only required pain medication twice over the last 6 weeks. It seems to affect her night sleep, so we try not to give it to her. She seems to be in the same status as six weeks ago, no better, no worse. I was hyper-vigilant with her exercise, but she decided to do zoomies around the front room when we weren't watching her. So, bottom line, restricting exercise if a noticeable limp for a couple of days, then back to light exercise outside for 5 minutes twice a day. They told us no permanent damage and may last until they are 18 months.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Our orthopedic surgeon said to allow Peyton to exercise to her comfort level. He said don't encourage her to jump, frisbee, etc. but let her run if she's comfortable which she appears to. She actually runs and walks fast normal, just a little hitch when walking slow.

She has hip dysplasia so he wants some exercise to build muscle. He said don't give her NSAIDs unless her limp gets worse. She has been a wild girl the past few weeks so don't think she is in a lot of pain.

We also were told it could go until 18 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts