Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been reading the forum for hours and am overwhelmed with food choices. I would like to switch from Nutro Ultra large breed adult because my 11 1/2 yr old girl won't eat it without wet Ultra on top. I could switch her to all wet but her hair lacks luster and she sleeps all the time so I'd like to try changing food from Nutro after all this time. She's just not herself. Maybe she's missing something. When I first started adding wet, she brightened up a little and she really likes it. But I can't help but think I could improve her health if I try something else. There are so many choices and Nutro has changed over the last year or so to a different kibble (new formula I think). I wonder if this has changed her and my boy's hair condition and I am unsure of Nutro's reputation now.

FYI, I have been supplementing her with Dasuquin for a rear leg injury that has slowed her down. I have slimmed her down a bit because of her leg. I don't think I can afford some of the priciest ones and there are the same complaints about changes in formula and recall issues with brands I have looked at like Canidae. It's not possible for me to make their dinner. Has anyone just tried several and see how they do? I have heard Goldens don't like changing their food? How do I trust a brand again?

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
Daisy eats Now Fresh Grain Free Senior and she really loves it. Its a little pricey but I never saw any recalls and because of the quality you can feed less. I also just started adding green beans, carrots and coconut oil to her food. Coconut Oil is really beneficial for their coats. She takes Dasuquin as a preventative too. Food choices are so overwhelming I have been happy so far with this. Most stores will give you a free sample bag to try. Here is their website:

Dry Dog Food | Petcurean NOW FRESH Grain Free Dry Dog Food

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I have recently read some rave reviews of Purina's new ProPlan Bright Mind. These were from fellow breeders who have put their older dogs on it and have been beyond pleased with the results.

I plan to switch my 12 year old to it. She still seems bright but if I can improve that as much as the Dasuquin has improved her mobility-well, I would be thrilled.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
If she had a rear leg injury she may still have some residual pain or arthritis. Have you seen a doc about adding an anti-inflammatory or pain reliever? Also, my 14 yr old guy who eats Fromm won't eat without some sort of topper on his food. I usually use a bit of ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. In the days that I'm out, I have to scavenge around the house to toss something else in the bowl (ex. treats torn up). I don't see this as a need to switch food, he just wants a little "extra" & has me trained quite well to give it to him.

·
Lucky's Mom
215 Posts
Probably not the answer you are looking for, but I have recently read some rave reviews of Purina's new ProPlan Bright Mind. These were from fellow breeders who have put their older dogs on it and have been beyond pleased with the results.

I plan to switch my 12 year old to it. She still seems bright but if I can improve that as much as the Dasuquin has improved her mobility-well, I would be thrilled.
I just got back form Michigan State to see an internal medicine doctor and he insisted that the best foods on the market especially seniors are Purina, Royal Canin, Science Diet, and Hills. I do not feel any of the above as I feed Fromm but I am considering switching.I know may people will say that the reason vets push these foods is because they get a kick back and that is COMPLETELY untrue. Especially for MSU as they don't even sell the foods he mentioned. The reason for the referral is because the listed brands are the ONLY foods that have current data on how the food effects the dogs over their lifetime. So I would agree with you when saying that switching to ProPlan might be a really great option.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am not sure if I can reply to individual posts

Or if I just reply here inline? New to the forum.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The reasons I am thinking of switching are her coat is dull, she sleeps all the time, she stopped wanting to eat the Ultra Large Breed Adult after it seemed to be different. I don't mind adding something on top or even switching her to soft food. I also have read a lot of complaints about Ultra and thought I might find something that would give her a little spunk in her old age without breaking my budget.

What I have liked about Nutro Ultra is it seems to be efficient if their stools tell the story.

As for the suggestions about Purina, I always thought the major store brands like Purina were supposed to have cheaper ingredients?

Oh, I almost forgot... I read that kibble takes a long time to digest and it's true that since changing to half soft food she seemed to be less lethargic for so many hours after meals.

If I may ask another, related question, why do the dog food cans and bags say to feed them so much? I can't feed my dogs as much as they calls for or they'd be huge!

I'm having trouble remembering what everyone wrote, sorry. I'll get the hang of replying to a forum on the iPad. Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She does have some arthritis from the torn ligament

In fact, I am going tomorrow to ask for a pain reliever since it seems to have gotten to that point after a walk. I have heard some scary things about the anti-inflammatories though.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Personally I don't trust the big market brands there is research that does say that their ingredients are inferior factory leftovers.
I would consider taking a senior off dry kibble as it is hard on their system I am trying freeze dried Orijen in combination with home cooked which is very expensive but their are other brands of freeze dried ( you soak it and it essentially turns into wet food and is less processed than dry kibble) or you can buy canned wet food. I have had luck with Origen, Pinnacle and Wellness.

·
Super Moderator
2,861 Posts
From what I understand and read, Purina food comes from factories that only produce dog food, so there's no recalls due to factory leftovers in the food. I could be wrong though, correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
There is a definite difference between Purina ProPlan and their grocery store food. I feed the ProPlan and have been very happy with it, as have many other breeders and competitors. I have also fed Fromm, NutriSouce and Canidae and they were good foods as well.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I agree with the above post. Pro plan is their premium food. You can't find it in the grocery store. We were the same way. We thought no way are we feeding Chloe pro plan. But after reading here and looking at ingredients it's a good food.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've been very happy with Wellness Core dry food. Have tried others over the years (Merrick, Innova Evo) but Chance has done very well on the Core grain-free. No more ear infections or hot spots.
He loves it too. He has never been finicky.
Remember to transition over to a new food gradually to avoid tummy upset.
There are a lot of good choices and it can be overwhelming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts