Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Hoping someone who knows more about nutrition can help here. Henry is allergic / sensitive to a whole list of ingredients, including all grains, potatoes, chicken, beef, pork etc... So we have always struggled to find food that works for him - even limited ingredients kibble caused allergies / sensitivities. My vet is not super helpful - the only thing he recommends is prescription food (obviously).

For the past couple of months, we finally found something that works: Honest Kitchen Kindly (base) with 1/2 cup cooked turkey. It has worked well and he seems to be doing well but he did slowly lose weight and most importantly - he always acts like he is starving (which is totally new behaviour for Henry).

He stops walking if he sees food in the street, will beg for treats, will eat dog poop and EVERYTHING he can find... No good!

So my question is this: is his diet appropriate or does he have a lack of minerals of vitamins that we need to be aware of?

We feed him twice a day the following:
2 scoops of Honest Kitchen Kindly
1/2 cup (heaped) cooked turkey
1 tbsp of coconut oil

Information for Honest Kitchen Kindly can be found here:
INGREDIENTS
All ingredients dehydrated: Carrots, organic flaxseed, parsnips, peas, celery, organic coconut, pumpkin, chard, organic kelp, marjoram, garlic, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate.

CALORIES PER DRY CUP 370
% PROTEIN 13.5
% FAT 10
% FIBER 12.8
% MOISTURE 6.2

What should I do better to make sure he stays healthy and happy? I do not want to switch to regular kibble again.

Any advice, help would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Deborah

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
I'd guess that if he is losing weight and acting starved, he is not getting enough food. I'd suggest upping the turkey to one cup twice a day, but I honestly don't know if that is too much protein and not enough fat or carbs. The Honest Kitchen mixture doesn't sound like it has a lot of bulk - nothing that would help fill him up.

Are you positive he is allergic to all those foods? Did you try each one individually - or was he tested? I'm not doubting you at all, but often times, if a puppy is battling parasites or other tummy issues that you may not even be aware of, it is assumed to be the food, when it's not. I'm not saying that is the case with you - but just wondering if he may actually be able to tolerate a limited ingredient kibble that might fill him up better and give him balanced nutrition.

·
Kristy
10,201 Posts
It might help us to know how old your dog is and what kind of activity level he has (aerobic exercise). Were you trying to have him drop some weight? Is this how they recommend using the food - ratio of two cups dry to 1/2 cup cooked turkey per day? Depending on the size of your dog and if he's finished growing and activity level he should be getting about 900-1300 calories a day and approx 30% protein - check out dogfoodadvisor.com to look at the calculator and figure out how the diet you're feeding compares to the higher rated kibble. Just to see that you're in the range.

Golden retrievers are notoriously starving but yes, I think you're dog isn't getting enough calorie based on a 1/2 c of turkey only having about 120 calories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I noticed you didn't include fish protein as an allergen. My vet says fish is usually pretty tolerable. Maybe a fish protein kibble would was your concerns re: dry food? I think it would be a much more complete diet than what he's getting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi everyone,

Yes, all important information. My dog is going to be 3 years old in October. He does have exercise, he goes to the dog park a couple times a day but usually doesn't run, just plays around with other dogs.

Yes, pretty positive about all of his allergies / sensitivities since we got him tested - sent a hair sample and a saliva sample and got the results back. I think the only thing that usually doesn't cause itching is rice, so I can try and add that to his diet to add more bulk.

Happy to try fish sources, he is allergic to that. Any thoughts on how to go that route? And, ideas on how not to break my wallet. I already spend quite a lot on him...

I don't have concerns about dry foods, per say, but like the idea of giving something that looks like real food. And kibble is highly processed. I might be overly dramatic...

Is there a way I can attach a document? I can share the report on allergies / sensitivities that I got back from the lab.

Thank you all!

·
Mom to Sonny and Seamus
902 Posts
Seamus is now 16 months and is on Orijen 6 fish. He LOVES it! We feed him 1-1/2 cups twice a day and he weighs 69#.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Hi everyone,

Yes, all important information. My dog is going to be 3 years old in October. He does have exercise, he goes to the dog park a couple times a day but usually doesn't run, just plays around with other dogs.

Yes, pretty positive about all of his allergies / sensitivities since we got him tested - sent a hair sample and a saliva sample and got the results back. I think the only thing that usually doesn't cause itching is rice, so I can try and add that to his diet to add more bulk.

Happy to try fish sources, he is allergic to that. Any thoughts on how to go that route? And, ideas on how not to break my wallet. I already spend quite a lot on him...

I don't have concerns about dry foods, per say, but like the idea of giving something that looks like real food. And kibble is highly processed. I might be overly dramatic...

Is there a way I can attach a document? I can share the report on allergies / sensitivities that I got back from the lab.

Thank you all!
Thanks for all the additional info. Trying a fish-based kibble may indeed be the answer. One suggested just above. There is also Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach, which is salmon based. Not sure what the grain is, but easy to check. Many people on this forum have had good experiences with this food.

Kibble is processed, yes. BUT - dogs have been eating it for decades and decades. And the thing that it does have going for it, if you buy a good one, is that it provides a nutritionally balanced diet just for dogs. So you don't need to worry about adding vitamins or minerals, or does it have enough protein or too much fat. They do it for you.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
We have Chloe on the purina pro plan focus salmon for sensitive skin and stomach. She was licking her paws and rubbing her face on the carpet. It has been about 90% better since we started it. You may want to give it a try.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, my other problem with Kibble is that I can't deal with the smell, I am very very sensitive to smell and kibble will make me sick.

Any alternatives that would be cheaper? I don't mind adding fish but don't want to spend another $100 / month doing it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts