Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Golden is five and gets groomed about once a season. I TOTALLY AGREE with the posters here: NO SHAVING — EVER! Odin gets bathed and dried; a de-shed groom (basically a super-thorough brushing); any mats removed; his feathering trimmed (to be uniform and pretty); his nails filed; and his feet cleaned up. This usually runs between $50-$65 per groom. He looks amazing when he’s done and they always give him a cute little bandana to wear home.
If someone ever shaved him I would raise hell.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, it happened to me yesterday!!With a rescue girl.I am devastated because if I was there I could have prevented it.However,they are in another city.I have been informed that the last 3 weeks 3 goldens were threwn out of car.I cannot take all of them eventhough I wish to rescue all.I rescue other breeds aswell.I have sooo many at the moment so I chose to help first the senior girl.Have a weakness for the senior ones.We asked the volunteer to drop her to a vet clinic till we arrange her place .I told the volunteer to give me a call once they are at the clinic so that I may talk to them and proceed with the tests .However,afternoon they dropped the news that they had to shave her since her hair was so entangled and had some infections on the skin.Was smelling awful.If some of you remember Margot who was homed to UK last year was in a very awful condition as well.We 3 people at the clinic it took us 6 hours to clean all her wounds and get it trimmed without shaving her.Here meet my new lady "Lana".My only compensation is that maybe by shaving her old hair ,we also could erase the bad memories of her past and she will start a clean
page with us and will reach her happily ever after family in US when the time arrives ?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Poor baby. Thank you for caring for her

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,375 Posts
Thank you dear.How can I upload the video?? Does not support Mp4 I guess

You may want to post this question to Admin who is the Tech Team in this thread-

Post #3 does give instructions how to share videos, however I don't know which type of files/format are accepted.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I took my lovely fur baby, Graham, to get his annual vaccinations and a well needed trim at the vet. The groomer asked if I wanted him to be shaved. The “shave”’word gives me anxiety when in reference to my Graham because I know double coated dogs are not supposed to be shaved. I immediately told him no to a shave and only trim him good enough, so that I will not have to deal with much shedding. I suppose that’s where I went wrong because 7 hours later my Graham was completely unrecognizable. I nearly cried when I seen him after the groom. The first two pictures are after the grooming and the last two are before. I know the only thing left to do is to allow the growth to take its course; however, I was wondering if the shaving would permanently change his coat. Any encouraging words are needed here. ?

View attachment 869975 View attachment 869976 View attachment 869977 View attachment 869978
No! I would be furious! Yes, it will eventually grow back out. I have yet to trust a groomer with one of my goldens because of this.

·
3 goldens
11,739 Posts
I have never had any of my dogs groomed due to the horror swtories I have read on the various golden forums and Great Pyrenees forums. Many have said most groomers have no idea how to cut a Pyr. One thing about Pyrs--it seems if they are ever shaved, their fur tens to mat more easily. I trim them up myself--not a beautiful trim, but at least it is better than what it was. I would be so angry if someone shaved my dog!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts