Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I really feel for you! It’ll grow back and you know now not go trust groomers. Many have had the same experience, I bought my own grooming stuff and trimmed Aidan’s ear fluff and then I decided he looked much cuter before I did it. I looked up so much stuff about how long it wold be to grow out. I felt horrible! It’s really not hard to trim a golden. I had decided to never take Aidan to groomer because we had an incident when he was getting a nail trim. He jumped off the table and almost died by hanging. Thank God I was in the room to hold him up, but he was screaming and I thought he wouldn’t survive it. What’s done is done and the hair will grow back soon enough and all will be in the past,
Hello Lori,

OMG! I would have freaked out. You know what's so crazy? I actually purchased a grooming kit a while back that included a comb and different types of shears. I would only use the shears to trim the fly away hairs around his paws and ears, but I never trusted myself to go near his coat. This is definitely a lesson learned and I appreciate the encouraging words!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
One reason that I have this!

I added a DYI "Groomer's helper" for about $4 usd vs over $100 for the original..Works great as a third hand.
The table is a tad small for a Golden, but I didn't have the space for anything larger, However all is good, and I don't need a groomer, to mess around with!

View attachment 869994

View attachment 869995
Thanks! I'm a DIY person, so this is perfect.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So sorry to you and Graham! I would be every bit as upset as you are. I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for this groom job as it sounds like they went against your request. Since this groomer is at a vet's office I am surprised that they are not knowledgeable on double coated breeds. How disappointing. Fortunately Goldens are a patient and loving breed if you want to learn to groom him yourself.

His coat will come back in time, just as lovely as ever. I did my pup's first ear trim and it looked very choppy and homespun. After just a week they look a bit grown in and less obvious.
Hello Dbrown,

Yes, yes, yes! This surprised me as well, but I have learned a big lesson. I used to always give him choppy paw trims 😅. I'm much better now and will have to work my confidence up to de-shedding and trimming his coat when that time comes.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow!. You have a right to be upset.
Do you need to consider coating him until Spring? Is he warm enough since being sheared.?
Also I would be aware how long he is out in the sun.
My brother always gave his golden a puppy cut until I showed him articles of why it was not recommended.
The hair will take a few weeks to grow back and I would make sure the dog is warm enough .
Hello Cassie,

Yes, he'll be just fine as far weather goes. It's never too hot or too cold in Louisiana.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Kate
20,688 Posts
work my confidence up to de-shedding and trimming his coat when that time comes.
Again, you should not trim the coat + if you keep up on brushing + bathing and blow drying your dog on a routine basis, you will not have shedding issues either.

Bathing your dog loosens coat. That's why blow drying him after is a good idea.

There are places where you can take your dog to bathe and blow dry him yourself without buying the equipment. Or just pay a groomer.

Trimming the coat has nothing to do with shedding. Your bald dog is still going to shed coat + probably have skin problems.

Even those groomers who are cutting the fur all around without shaving - a lot of people think their dogs look amazing after visiting some of these breeders - but it looks bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This same thing happened to me 20 years ago and is the exact reason I've never taken one of my Golden's back to a groomer. Instead of paying a groomer I bought a blow dryer (for dogs), thinning shears, round end scissors, and a really good brush. There are some tricks that make it easier. My guys aren't ever perfect, but they look pretty good most of the time. I hate shaggy feet so I keep the feet nice and the ears trimmed. I will occasionally thin my older guys chest a little but as someone else mentioned that isn't really necessary.

By the way your handling it very well. I was calm 20 years ago when it happened to me, but now my head would probably explode. I was upset when a vet tech shaved more then I felt was necessary for an IV line. (she shaved the entire front leg)
I'll more than likely be the same way after this incident. It has only pushed me more to figure out grooming him myself. I purchased a grooming kit sometime ago and would practice around his paws and ears. I never had the confidence to trim around his coat, but I tell you what...I'll master it after this. I really appreciate the encouraging words!

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Again, you should not trim the coat + if you keep up on brushing + bathing and blow drying your dog on a routine basis, you will not have shedding issues either.

Bathing your dog loosens coat. That's why blow drying him after is a good idea.

There are places where you can take your dog to bathe and blow dry him yourself without buying the equipment. Or just pay a groomer.

Trimming the coat has nothing to do with shedding. Your bald dog is still going to shed coat + probably have skin problems.

Even those groomers who are cutting the fur all around without shaving - a lot of people think their dogs look amazing after visiting some of these breeders - but it looks bad.
Got you! Notated.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'll more than likely be the same way after this incident. It has only pushed me more to figure out grooming him myself. I purchased a grooming kit sometime ago and would practice around his paws and ears. I never had the confidence to trim around his coat, but I tell you what...I'll master it after this. I really appreciate the encouraging words!

Thanks!
GOOD!
I would begin with "less is more". You can always take off more, but you can't undo what was done.

At first my 10 month old was highly suspicious of the new table...after a week of just brushing her on the table...she loves it. I have slowly been able to let me clip her nails (her puppy farm parents played with her feet), but the groomers helper thing makes things much easier. She has gotten very strong, and I am no youngster.
Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello Megora,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I can count on one hand how many times my G has been groomed. He’s 3 years old and I’ve only had him groomed "professionally" three times. This being my third time and also second time getting him groomed at the vet. I assumed, like we do with most experts, the correct thing would be done. For clarity purposes, the veterinarian did not groom him. The animal hospital's groomer did. The first time I had him groomed the results were beautiful, but it was also done by another groomer. There are two groomers that work inside the hospital.

In reference to switching veterinarians, in the mist of frustration, I had made that decision too. However, now that I am in a much better state of mind, I can say that his vet has been absolutely warming and knowledgeable since the beginning (when I first took him in at 6 weeks). I don't see myself faulting his veterinarian for the ignorance of another, but I will make him aware of what happened and take heed.
Don't worry! The coat will grow back just fine. I used to shave down my Newfies and Goldens in the early spring and by fall their coats were back in. I know this post will horrify some members, but it was a great way to deal with extremely heavy coated spayed/neutered dogs.

·
Kate
20,688 Posts
Don't worry! The coat will grow back just fine. I used to shave down my Newfies and Goldens in the early spring and by fall their coats were back in. I know this post will horrify some members, but it was a great way to deal with extremely heavy coated spayed/neutered dogs.
One of my neighbors used to do that - her dogs coat was terrible. Stank. Touching her - I could not wash my hands enough to get the smell and grease off. Worst seborrhea ever. :(

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would have absolutely lost my mind. And please tell me you did not pay them for this???? Totally not okay.

my girl is groomed every three months professionally and I do feet and ear trims in between. However, I stalked facebook and asked so many questions to find a groomer who actually understood how a golden 100% should be groomed. Few and far between it seems!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
GOOD!
I would begin with "less is more". You can always take off more, but you can't undo what was done.

At first my 10 month old was highly suspicious of the new table...after a week of just brushing her on the table...she loves it. I have slowly been able to let me clip her nails (her puppy farm parents played with her feet), but the groomers helper thing makes things much easier. She has gotten very strong, and I am no youngster.
Good luck!
LOL! So I thought it was just my G that acts suspicious around "new" things. I can buy a new pillow and he's barking at it. I agree, they are strong. G is three years old now, but when he was only a few months, I went to take him on a little walk on a rainy day and before we could make it out the yard, he yanked me right into a ditch. He took off and I slid! LOL

Anywho, thanks so much for the suggestions and encouraging words! Definitely helped a lot!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I would have absolutely lost my mind. And please tell me you did not pay them for this???? Totally not okay.

my girl is groomed every three months professionally and I do feet and ear trims in between. However, I stalked facebook and asked so many questions to find a groomer who actually understood how a golden 100% should be groomed. Few and far between it seems!
I did. I paid before I seen the results; however, I made a call and told them about my frustration, so I'll be refunded! I agree, this is why I trusted the animal hospital--but I've learned trust should not be associated with grooming.

Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I did. I paid before I seen the results; however, I made a call and told them about my frustration, so I'll be refunded! I agree, this is why I trusted the animal hospital--but I've learned trust should not be associated with grooming.

Thanks!
Sometime a negative review on Google, Yahoo etc, can help others avoid the terrible mess that happened to your pup!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh my goodness! I would be mad and probably would have freaked out if my dog looked like that when I picked her up. I'm sorry that happened to you and your dog.

·
Registered
621 Posts
You're a saint for being able to leave the vet's office without screaming.. I would've lost it. And I love my vet's office but still. It looks like the groomer was prepping him for full body surgery. Who would do that to a golden without the owner explicitly begging them to shave him? Thankfully it will grow back so deep breath.

·
Super Moderator
1,169 Posts
It is truly amazing how many groomers think it is ok to shave dogs to have their double coats for a reason.

·
Registered
51 Posts
One of my neighbors used to do that - her dogs coat was terrible. Stank. Touching her - I could not wash my hands enough to get the smell and grease off. Worst seborrhea ever. :(
My dogs never stank. They did not have skin problems - thank heaven - and they still had regular baths. We live on a lake in Minnesota where it can be very hot and humid in the summer, and well below freezing in winter.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts