Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my lovely fur baby, Graham, to get his annual vaccinations and a well needed trim at the vet. The groomer asked if I wanted him to be shaved. The “shave”’word gives me anxiety when in reference to my Graham because I know double coated dogs are not supposed to be shaved. I immediately told him no to a shave and only trim him good enough, so that I will not have to deal with much shedding. I suppose that’s where I went wrong because 7 hours later my Graham was completely unrecognizable. I nearly cried when I seen him after the groom. The first two pictures are after the grooming and the last two are before. I know the only thing left to do is to allow the growth to take its course; however, I was wondering if the shaving would permanently change his coat. Any encouraging words are needed here. ?

667B9781-F348-45F9-A9DE-C004A2D1A5A7.jpeg 79C7C98F-D0AD-4620-81D6-9401EBC0E17D.jpeg AEF38D6B-C48C-4A06-8B36-C2A80F18BB4B.jpeg 147A6C9E-2056-4F52-9EC6-0FB38E005847.jpeg

·
Kate
20,864 Posts
What the holy hell were they thinking???? I would not PAY for that. You may have set yourself up by the request to trim him to prevent shedding - for some clipper happy groomers, that means removing the coat. Likewise having him groomed at the vet?????

It follows to never have somebody who doesn't know how to groom this breed touch a single hair of your dogs body with a blade of any kind.

Yes, the coat will grow back, but it will take a while.

This is not so much aimed at the OP here, but in general -

1. Clippers should never be used on this breed. If ever, only on the bottoms of the feet, but even there it isn't necessary.

2. The only areas which need trimming are feet, ears, and tail. Yes, there is some thinning done around the neck and shoulders, especially older dogs with excess coat - but in generally this is not a "reshape the dog with shears" kind of breed. Their natural coats are easy to live with as long as you brush your dog from time to time.

3. It is OK to take your dog to a professional groomer to have them bathe and blow dry the dogs and trim the above mentioned areas maybe once a month, but go through the golden retriever clubs to find somebody who knows how to groom this breed. Many professional handlers (like you see at the Westminster show on TV) are professional groomers at actual grooming shops and they know how to make your family pets look great. Likewise, if you purchased your golden from a show breeder, odds are they will only be too happy to hands on show you how to groom your own dog.

For the OP - I'd just plan ahead for when your dog is older and has a full coat coming in find a good golden groomer. Your dog isn't ruined for life. Fur grows back. But this is something I'd even switch vets about. What a crappy job they did.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Oh no, that would not make me happy. I once took my Bichon in to my former vet for a tooth cleaning and asked if they would trim the hair around her mouth that grows and curls into her moth. They shaved her whole face. I dropped off a Bichon and picked up a poodle. So it happens. I think his coat will grow back and be okay. Are you in a cold climate now? He may need a sweater or blanket if its cold at night in your house.

·
Super Moderator Leader
46,340 Posts
I can understand why you're upset, the hair will grow back...... but it's going to take time so be patient.

·
Premium Member
17,943 Posts
I can imagine you are just sick! I would be. I agree, I definitely would not pay for this, and I would make sure they know you are not happy. They should never shave a Golden unless the owner insists, you definitely didn't ask for that shave down.

Just to mention though, trimming a Golden will not alleviate shedding. They shed the undercoat, so you will always have shedding even if you have their coat cut.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I really feel for you! It’ll grow back and you know now not go trust groomers. Many have had the same experience, I bought my own grooming stuff and trimmed Aidan’s ear fluff and then I decided he looked much cuter before I did it. I looked up so much stuff about how long it wold be to grow out. I felt horrible! It’s really not hard to trim a golden. I had decided to never take Aidan to groomer because we had an incident when he was getting a nail trim. He jumped off the table and almost died by hanging. Thank God I was in the room to hold him up, but he was screaming and I thought he wouldn’t survive it. What’s done is done and the hair will grow back soon enough and all will be in the past,

·
Registered
727 Posts
One reason that I have this!

I added a DYI "Groomer's helper" for about $4 usd vs over $100 for the original..Works great as a third hand.
The table is a tad small for a Golden, but I didn't have the space for anything larger, However all is good, and I don't need a groomer, to mess around with!

·
Registered
87 Posts
So sorry to you and Graham! I would be every bit as upset as you are. I agree that you shouldn't have to pay for this groom job as it sounds like they went against your request. Since this groomer is at a vet's office I am surprised that they are not knowledgeable on double coated breeds. How disappointing. Fortunately Goldens are a patient and loving breed if you want to learn to groom him yourself.

His coat will come back in time, just as lovely as ever. I did my pup's first ear trim and it looked very choppy and homespun. After just a week they look a bit grown in and less obvious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow!. You have a right to be upset.
Do you need to consider coating him until Spring? Is he warm enough since being sheared.?
Also I would be aware how long he is out in the sun.
My brother always gave his golden a puppy cut until I showed him articles of why it was not recommended.
The hair will take a few weeks to grow back and I would make sure the dog is warm enough .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What the holy hell were they thinking???? I would not PAY for that. You may have set yourself up by the request to trim him to prevent shedding - for some clipper happy groomers, that means removing the coat. Likewise having him groomed at the vet?????

It follows to never have somebody who doesn't know how to groom this breed touch a single hair of your dogs body with a blade of any kind.

Yes, the coat will grow back, but it will take a while.

This is not so much aimed at the OP here, but in general -

1. Clippers should never be used on this breed. If ever, only on the bottoms of the feet, but even there it isn't necessary.

2. The only areas which need trimming are feet, ears, and tail. Yes, there is some thinning done around the neck and shoulders, especially older dogs with excess coat - but in generally this is not a "reshape the dog with shears" kind of breed. Their natural coats are easy to live with as long as you brush your dog from time to time.

3. It is OK to take your dog to a professional groomer to have them bathe and blow dry the dogs and trim the above mentioned areas maybe once a month, but go through the golden retriever clubs to find somebody who knows how to groom this breed. Many professional handlers (like you see at the Westminster show on TV) are professional groomers at actual grooming shops and they know how to make your family pets look great. Likewise, if you purchased your golden from a show breeder, odds are they will only be too happy to hands on show you how to groom your own dog.

For the OP - I'd just plan ahead for when your dog is older and has a full coat coming in find a good golden groomer. Your dog isn't ruined for life. Fur grows back. But this is something I'd even switch vets about. What a crappy job they did.
Hello Megora,

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I can count on one hand how many times my G has been groomed. He’s 3 years old and I’ve only had him groomed "professionally" three times. This being my third time and also second time getting him groomed at the vet. I assumed, like we do with most experts, the correct thing would be done. For clarity purposes, the veterinarian did not groom him. The animal hospital's groomer did. The first time I had him groomed the results were beautiful, but it was also done by another groomer. There are two groomers that work inside the hospital.

In reference to switching veterinarians, in the mist of frustration, I had made that decision too. However, now that I am in a much better state of mind, I can say that his vet has been absolutely warming and knowledgeable since the beginning (when I first took him in at 6 weeks). I don't see myself faulting his veterinarian for the ignorance of another, but I will make him aware of what happened and take heed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh no, that would not make me happy. I once took my Bichon in to my former vet for a tooth cleaning and asked if they would trim the hair around her mouth that grows and curls into her moth. They shaved her whole face. I dropped off a Bichon and picked up a poodle. So it happens. I think his coat will grow back and be okay. Are you in a cold climate now? He may need a sweater or blanket if its cold at night in your house.
Hello Cwag,

AH! Now, they managed to leave his face just fine. If it was any different, I probably would have fainted! The great thing is that I do not stay in a very cold or hot climate. I live in Louisiana where the seasons are like mix-matched socks. It's two seasons in one day. We also don't have any extremely cold or hot weather here, so he will be fine in that department.

Thanks for the response and suggestion!

·
Registered
583 Posts
This same thing happened to me 20 years ago and is the exact reason I've never taken one of my Golden's back to a groomer. Instead of paying a groomer I bought a blow dryer (for dogs), thinning shears, round end scissors, and a really good brush. There are some tricks that make it easier. My guys aren't ever perfect, but they look pretty good most of the time. I hate shaggy feet so I keep the feet nice and the ears trimmed. I will occasionally thin my older guys chest a little but as someone else mentioned that isn't really necessary.

By the way your handling it very well. I was calm 20 years ago when it happened to me, but now my head would probably explode. I was upset when a vet tech shaved more then I felt was necessary for an IV line. (she shaved the entire front leg)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can imagine you are just sick! I would be. I agree, I definitely would not pay for this, and I would make sure they know you are not happy. They should never shave a Golden unless the owner insists, you definitely didn't ask for that shave down.

Just to mention though, trimming a Golden will not alleviate shedding. They shed the undercoat, so you will always have shedding even if you have their coat cut.
Hello Mylissyk,

I will do just that and I meant to say trim and de-shed! If I ever decided to get him professionally groomed again, I'll have to remember to say de-shed just in case.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts