Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
acetheretriever
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep in mind Ace is my first golden.. but his puppy fur is still verrrrrry prevalent. He is almost 5 months and he's got long fluffy puppy fur with a thick stripe of his short adult fur down his back. Every other 5 month golden I see has pretty even fur with the puppy fur pretty much gone. Am I just overreacting? I brush him every day with a rake.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
That is perfectly normal. The long, usually wavy strip of coat down the back is the beginning of the adult coat. He will eventually lose the rest of his puppy fuzz and the remainder of the adult coat will come in, but it takes time. Some Goldens (especially the ones with thicker, longer coats) don't finish getting their complete adult coat until they are well over a year old, so you have quite a ways to go at just 5 months old.

·
Puddles
4,024 Posts
1st pic is of my girl at 4 months... still very much puppy fur. 2nd is at 5 months and what a change. Then just 4 months later at 8 months. She will be 2 in Feb and still has lots of puppy fur, looks like she is wearing sheepskin chaps :) but expecting to have all adult fur by spring. They all seem to have their own time table.

4months.jpg

5months.jpg

8months.jpg

IMG_20170402_083402.jpg

·
acetheretriever
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay good haha. Everyone doubts me when I say he is pure-bred golden because he looks like a chow everywhere but the stripe down his back! lmao

·
acetheretriever
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st pic is of my girl at 4 months... still very much puppy fur. 2nd is at 5 months and what a change. Then just 4 months later at 8 months. She will be 2 in Feb and still has lots of puppy fur, looks like she is wearing sheepskin chaps :) but expecting to have all adult fur by spring. They all seem to have their own time table.

View attachment 766114

View attachment 766122

View attachment 766130

View attachment 766138
omg she looks normal compared to ace! he looks like a sheep on the sides

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ace is ADORABLE!!

Our pup is 5.5 months and her adult coat is juuuust starting to come in on her sides and "pants". Can't tell you how many times we've said 'no, she's not a lab...'! We're trying to enjoy the puppy floof while it lasts!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts