Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Maegan
579 Posts
You know what, that's a great idea. I have not done too much serious obedience training with him and I'll make that our goal over my break between semesters. I think a combination of obedience + games would really wear him out the best. He's a good boy, but I've definitely slacked on any formal training. Thank you :D!!
You're welcome! Recall games can wear them out fast since it's a lot of sprinting in short bursts. Do you know anyone with a pool that would let him swim? Or is there a dock diving facility near you? Other than playing fetch when I was down south a couple weeks ago, I "taught" (I use that term loosely because she still forgets to use her rear sometimes :LOL:) Eevee to swim in my uncle's pool and that actually seemed to wear her out. I mean it took a couple hours straight of swimming to really and truly make her tired, but still.

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Girl, if you're in PBC THERE ARE ALLIGATORS IN THERE. Don't think there aren't. I wouldn't let him in.
Biking is great exercise but I wouldn't do it until the dog is 2 years old and has had hips & elbows done.
Just remember why we live here...in January
Ugh, this is what I was thinking. There's alligators everywhere 😭 Guess I'm going to keep on the lookout for a good place to take him. I can't wait until he's old enough to bike with 🤪

Winter months are the best!!! I just wish they lasted longer 😂

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You're welcome! Recall games can wear them out fast since it's a lot of sprinting in short bursts. Do you know anyone with a pool that would let him swim? Or is there a dock diving facility near you? Other than playing fetch when I was down south a couple weeks ago, I "taught" (I use that term loosely because she still forgets to use her rear sometimes :LOL:) Eevee to swim in my uncle's pool and that actually seemed to wear her out. I mean it took a couple hours straight of swimming to really and truly make her tired, but still.
In the big field behind the complex, we do a lot of recall games! I'll go hide behind a tree or something and my parter will hold him at the other end of the field and boy does he love that. It's just getting to the point where we can't go out until its almost dark :( I don't have any friends down here yet, but on that website, sniffspot, I found somebody like 40 minutes north of here renting their pool out per hour, which would be a good investment. His regular swimming facility is a dock diving facility :D But, its closed to the public :( They're open for private rentals right now, but its 50 dollars an hour. We have in booked in a couple weeks for his birthday but that's it :( Felix loves swimming and water retrievals, but it's been surprisingly difficult to find places he can actually swim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As odd as it is, I don't have any friends in south Florida yet 😅 I could always ask around though, maybe make a Craigslist add "will rent pool for xx an hour".
There is an app called swimply-book where you can rent pools but you'd prob have to make sure it's ok for the dog to go swimming

·
Registered
392 Posts
LOL @ "too paranoid" (vice simply "paranoid").

Whilst I'm in SoCal, I spent 5+ years on the Gulf Coast, and have rabbit-kin down there. If it's deep enough for a gator to be in and I can't see the bottom, then I'd assume one's in there.

Seems like an opportunity for a new forum? "Places to exercise my furry family member"?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts