Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is very hot nowadays and I'm finding it hard to exercise Felix the way he needs. It's hot from 7AM to 8PM and the usual lakes we take Felix to are both about 40 minutes south. One is closed right now and the other is full of terribly behaved dogs that give me stress.

We have a lake/pond right outside our door. We let him dip his legs in it on super hot days and I've been tossing back and forth emailing the complex to ask if its alright if we can play fetch in it as long as he wears a long line.

I'm a little concerned about alligators. This area doesn't have a history of nuisance alligators, but there have been a few in the surrounded neighborhood in the last few years. Maybe 3 within 10 miles in 3 years. This lake isn't very deep and if it doesn't rain for a few days, you can usually see the bottom, I've only ever seen iguanas, basilisks, and a variety of wetland fowl in it. But I'm still a little stress about the -what if-. Is this a risk I even consider taking? Or am I being silly since there's never been an alligator here? Everybody lets their kids fish in the lake and on any given day, there's probably 2 - 3 children catching blue gill and people sunbathing.

On a similar train of thought, if I decide against using the lake, I'm considering starting biking with him in the late evenings or very early morning. I'm going to shoot his breeder a text asking if this is a good age to start or if I should wait until 18 - 24 months?

I've attached some photos in case anyone is curious about the size, etc

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
The lake/pond looks really nice, however, I would be very concerned with alligators. We have gators where I live and a few dogs have been injured-leg missing, one was eaten by one.......it was a Husky too. Wildlife Dept. caught the gator, it was something like 10-12 ft., relocated to a safer location for it and the people living in the area.

Another thing to consider, if the water possibly has large bacteria levels or has any algae blooms.

Do you have any indoor swimming facilities for dogs in your area?

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lake/pond looks really nice, however, I would be very concerned with alligators. We have gators where I live and a few dogs have been injured-leg missing, one was eaten by one.......it was a Husky too. Wildlife Dept. caught the gator, is was something like 10-12 ft., relocated to a safer location for it and the people living in the area.

Another thing to consider, if the water possibly has large bacteria levels or has any algae blooms.

Do you have any indoor swimming facilities for dogs in your area?
Thank you for replying! I'm also concerned about gators :( They were bad up in Gainesville and they're no better down here. Regarding algae blooms, that is another concern of mine, but Palm Beach County is increasing their water testing and this particular has pretty regular water flow. But yeah, that's something else that I worry about :(

We have several, but every single one of them requires dogs over 6 months old to be neutered with no exemptions, so we can't go to them :( My favorite lake is closed to the public for COVID and the other is full of unruly dogs. We've taken him to the beach a few times but those are closed now and he doesn't care for the salt water as much.

·
Registered
12,759 Posts
I can't really comment on the gator risk. But regarding the biking with him... I don't like the idea because I am not a fan of forced exercise. What I mean by that is, when you have your dog off leash and playing ball or whatever, he can rest or stop and lie down in cool grass whenever he wants. When he is running by your bike, he has no choice but to keep going, even if he is hot or feels a twinge of pain.

Reactions: nolefan

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
"We have several, but every single one of them requires dogs over 6 months old to be neutered with no exemptions, so we can't go to them :( My favorite lake is closed to the public for COVID and the other is full of unruly dogs. We've taken him to the beach a few times but those are closed now and he doesn't care for the salt water as much. "

Well nuts............

Do you have any friends that have pools?

·
Premium Member
18,148 Posts
I don't know if this a good idea or not, but I ran across this app for people renting out their fenced yard/acreage by the hour to people to let their dogs run. Maybe worth looking into. Look up www . sniffspot . com

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"We have several, but every single one of them requires dogs over 6 months old to be neutered with no exemptions, so we can't go to them :( My favorite lake is closed to the public for COVID and the other is full of unruly dogs. We've taken him to the beach a few times but those are closed now and he doesn't care for the salt water as much. "

Well nuts............

Do you have any friends that have pools?
As odd as it is, I don't have any friends in south Florida yet 😅 I could always ask around though, maybe make a Craigslist add "will rent pool for xx an hour".

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't really comment on the gator risk. But regarding the biking with him... I don't like the idea because I am not a fan of forced exercise. What I mean by that is, when you have your dog off leash and playing ball or whatever, he can rest or stop and lie down in cool grass whenever he wants. When he is running by your bike, he has no choice but to keep going, even if he is hot or feels a twinge of pain.
Yeah, that's a concern of mine and typically we'd go play fetch out in the big field by the complex, but we can't go out until its dark out and there's no light out there :( I need to keep him in shape and also exercise him at all because without reasonable work, he's a nuisance.

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know if this a good idea or not, but I ran across this app for people renting out their fenced yard/acreage by the hour to people to let their dogs run. Maybe worth looking into. Look up www . sniffspot . com
I will check this out!! This could be great, thank you :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
Do you belong to an area GR Club?

That might be an easier way to meet people and also a safer option.......

I belong to a local Nextdoor group for my area. I find it's more beneficial than the local FB Groups I belong to.

·
Maegan
579 Posts
Honestly I’d be more concerned about the basilisks unless you have some roosters handy. ;-)

·
Kate
21,292 Posts
Talk to the complex people.

I would think that there is a high liability as far as kids wading around in there with gators - remember what happened at Disney World.... o_O

But speaking as a northerner living in a state where the worst you experience is biting flies (deer flies, horse flies, black flies etc) - we basically have this idea that gators are up in everyone's yard and puddles down there... o_O

·
Maegan
579 Posts
On a serious note, I used to live in Houston and you’d be surprised how much exercise you can do in the heat without your dog getting too hot. It may be limited to several 10-15 minute bursts, which is what I did with Eevee when I was visiting my parents in Arkansas a few weeks ago. 10-15 minutes in the morning, 10-15 minutes around maybe 7 and another 10-15 minutes between 8 and 9. It doesn’t sound like a lot of exercise, but it’s usually enough when it’s hot out.
I used to do the same with Rocket in Houston with it being 99+ for a high every day with 85%+ humidity. Of course I didn’t work him during the main heat of the day, but if you’ve got shade you can do a lot more than you’d think. The dogs will “tell” you when it’s time to stop before they get too hot. Rocket’s tell is that he will just stop and lay down when he starts getting hot. Eevee will start slowing her speed down if we’re playing fetch or something. She will nearly always bring it back, it just won’t be as fast as when she started.

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys!! Yeah, I figured they would put up signs or something that say "No Swimming/Fishing" etc or warn of alligators if they were worried. But I can only imagine that it just takes one of them to ruin it for everyone 😵Needless to say, I can't wait to move out of Florida.

I will definitely try to do more short burst exercises!! The usual area we take him to doesn't have much shade but I can find a way to do short bursts throughout the day. @ArkansasGold with Rocket did you just play fetch? What sort of aerobic work did you do?

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly I’d be more concerned about the basilisks unless you have some roosters handy. ;-)
They get so big! We have so much odd reptiles down here, but the brown basilisks are something else lol. They make for good distractions to train Felix against 😂

·
Maegan
579 Posts
Thank you guys!! Yeah, I figured they would put up signs or something that say "No Swimming/Fishing" etc or warn of alligators if they were worried. But I can only imagine that it just takes one of them to ruin it for everyone 😵Needless to say, I can't wait to move out of Florida.

I will definitely try to do more short burst exercises!! The usual area we take him to doesn't have much shade but I can find a way to do short bursts throughout the day. @ArkansasGold with Rocket did you just play fetch? What sort of aerobic work did you do?
Mostly obedience drills actually. Fast recalls, heeling, and such. Or jumps. He is not as high energy as Eevee is. She needs lots of fetch to wear her out. We would also play fetch in the house with Rocket if it was just absolutely boiling. Or the hallway of the apartment building before we moved into our house.

Reactions: Tagrenine

·
Super Moderator
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mostly obedience drills actually. Fast recalls, heeling, and such. Or jumps. He is not as high energy as Eevee is. She needs lots of fetch to wear her out. We would also play fetch in the house with Rocket if it was just absolutely boiling. Or the hallway of the apartment building before we moved into our house.
You know what, that's a great idea. I have not done too much serious obedience training with him and I'll make that our goal over my break between semesters. I think a combination of obedience + games would really wear him out the best. He's a good boy, but I've definitely slacked on any formal training. Thank you :D!!

·
Registered
12,759 Posts
I definitely agree with ArkansasGold that in the heat, they need less exercise. Shala is good with a way shorter walk than usual (just on leash) when it's very hot, with a stop at the splash pad. She will try to turn around once she poops and I have to promise her we'll go the water to get her to walk just a few blocks. Now, she is seven at this point - that probably was not the case 6 or 7 years ago. Practicing obedience is a great idea for tiring the brain. I also have options to take her to swim within a 20 minute drive, which I am very thankful for.

·
the party's crashing us
4,242 Posts
Girl, if you're in PBC THERE ARE ALLIGATORS IN THERE. Don't think there aren't. I wouldn't let him in.
Biking is great exercise but I wouldn't do it until the dog is 2 years old and has had hips & elbows done.
Just remember why we live here...in January

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
That's really great, thanks.

Looked around at the site for my area.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts