Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Alternative to chewing pillows?

990 Views 7 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  mejog
Hi! Our 18 month old Golden is OBSESSED with pillows! It seems to be a self soothing thing for him to rest his mouth on them, which doesn't really bother me so much, but sometimes, he also will get crazy with them, shake them, "fight" them, and bite through them completely to start pulling out the stuffing. We have given him a couple of his own pillows, and he adores them, but destroys them in short order. I feel like he has such a strong "chew" drive when it comes to stuffed things and I feel like just saying "no" and not providing him a substitute wouldn't be the best option for him, Are there any super durable toys or pillows you know of that might be good substitutes for our couch pillows or bed pillows?? Thanks!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
685 Posts
Hi, our Boy Teddy has never destroyed pillows. But he easily destroys soft toys and takes great delight in pulling out the stuffing, I monitor him and take the squeaker quickly.

The only ones that seem to withstand his chewing and thrashing them about and even bringing them to us for tug games are Kong Knots bear. He gets a good few months out of them.

I buy the medium size and that seems fine for him but there is a large.
Here’s a photo

Attachments

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, our Boy Teddy has never destroyed pillows. But he easily destroys soft toys and takes great delight in pulling out the stuffing.

The only ones that seem to withstand his chewing and thrashing them about and even bringing them to us for tug games are Kong Knots near. He gets a good few months out of them.

Here’s a photo
Thanks for the suggestion! That looks like a great toy! We will have to give that one a try!

· Kristy
11,049 Posts

these are two of our favorite brands. However, they are not indestructible and if your dog is into destruction, he shouldn't have unsupervised access to them. If he swallows any stuffing while chewing a toy up, it can cause a blockage of his GI tract and kill him. Surgery to extract a blockage is crazy expensive. He needs to learn that playing with stuffed toys is fun but destroying them isn't allowed. Be sure he has plenty of items he is allowed to chew, bully sticks, antlers, frozen raw beef shank from the butcher. Also can be a sign he needs more aerobic exercise to burn off some energy.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
Maggie loves pillows also. She will usually carry them around a lay on them. Sometimes, she starts chewing on the very end. I watch her and take it away if she starts to work on the ends. Here is a vide of her with her pillow.
Jules

· Registered
685 Posts
Maggie loves pillows also. She will usually carry them around a lay on them. Sometimes, she starts chewing on the very end. I watch her and take it away if she starts to work on the ends. Here is a vide of her with her pillow.
Jules
Argh that’s so cute.
although I’m glad our Teddy hadn’t figured out he can carry pillows about. He’d be swapping them around from room to room and I’d be putting them bank all the time.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jules
That's adorable!! :) And looks very familiar to our house! Ha! They are too smart for their own good!

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi, our Boy Teddy has never destroyed pillows. But he easily destroys soft toys and takes great delight in pulling out the stuffing, I monitor him and take the squeaker quickly.

The only ones that seem to withstand his chewing and thrashing them about and even bringing them to us for tug games are Kong Knots bear. He gets a good few months out of them.

Here’s a photo
Cow Squishmallow
So for years now, my cat has had a habit of biting her bed and pulling on it repeatedly. She doesn't chew, she just bites and pulls. This results in her destroying her beds but I don't really care about that much. She eventually started doing it to any nearby fabric (pillows, clothes, blankets) when she was being petted and I tried to discourage it but it just keeps happening. Now she does it all the time. Wherever she's laying she'll just start biting and pulling pillows, blankets, and thick clothing. Does anyone have any idea why she does this? She has a clean bill of health other than an issue with impacted salivary glands that fill up frequently, but there seems to be no correlation between the attack on pillows and the condition of her salivary glands. Whether they've been freshly aspirated or they're full enough to warrant a trip to the vet, the pillow behavior is the same. The swellings are on the sides of either lower jaw by the way, and in no way affect her ability to eat or breathe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts