Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

Lily had some hot spots on her face, and they have all cleared up except for one. The one isn't really a hotspot anymore, just a raw scab because she won't leave it alone.

I've tried using Gold Bond to make her stop itching, and tried Aloe cream, but she won't leave it be. Of course, she only scratches when we're sleeping or away so we can't control it...

Are there any alternates to putting her into the head cone thing that anyone has had any success with? She really hates the cone and I feel terrible putting it on her, but we've got to get this last would healed up.

Thanks in advance folks!
Mike.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'm not sure what it's called, but when I was at the vet last I saw a dog wearing an inflatable donut around her neck and was told it's better than the cone (e-collar).

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I don't think the donut will help with hot spots on the face because the back legs can generally reach around it. At least Dillon could with his, although he's got fairly long legs. The donut was really only good for spots on the body because its longer than the dog's nose so they can't reach with their teeth/tongue.

I also tried a Comfy Cone with Dillon (he gets a lot of hot spots during the summer lol) and that worked for a couple days til he realized he could flip it over, or Sam was helping him do it I dunno.. but either way I'd come home to a slobbery hot spot from him licking it and a flipped cone. I really liked the idea of the Comfy Cone so it may be worth a try for you and hopefully it works better than it did for Dillon!

http://www.allfourpaws.com/

That's the Comfy Cone site.. I bought mine at Petco.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I don't know what to suggest as far as the comfy cone or donut since I haven't used those (yet).

You could try giving her a benedryl twice a day and see that eases the itching long enough for the scab to heal.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
The only things I know of are the soft cone and donut which you can get both at Petco.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Have you tried putting socks/boots on her paws? So when she does "scratch" she does not scratch" the scab off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a great idea - any ideas on how I can keep the socks on her feet though?
I was thinking hair elastics but I don't want to cut off circulation to her feet by accident...

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
You can buy dog booties at PetSmart. Probably the softee cone too.
check on line and see what they have.

Oh yeah - I went to Petco last week to get something I saw online and they don't carry it in the stores so call and ask before making a wasted trip!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
That's a great idea - any ideas on how I can keep the socks on her feet though?
I was thinking hair elastics but I don't want to cut off circulation to her feet by accident...
You could use first aid tape or vet wrap.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
We used a sock to keep Winter from licking hurt paw. Sock on, tape about 2 inches below sock top, turn sock cuff over tape to keep her from chewing tape off, and watched her like a hawk. Worked pretty well but we only had to use it less than a day.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!! Mike's(vertiman) put a rush order on a soft cone from our local pet store and is picking up baby booties and medical tape on his way home tonight. We'll let you know if it works!! :)

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im just awful...they don't have to like it....they just have to wear it! ;)
Lexi hates the cone....it takes her 2-3 sometimes 4 days before she stops sulking.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
MacKenzie is on day 8 of wearing a cone from being spayed. The vet wants us to keep it on her for 10 days. She is the first dog I have had that has gone more than two days with it.

It does not bother her one bit. I think the trick is this one is see through and a little shorter than others I have used. I do not think she feels trapped inside it, because she can see through it.

My other dogs were miserable when they were them.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Im just awful...they don't have to like it....they just have to wear it! ;)
Lexi hates the cone....it takes her 2-3 sometimes 4 days before she stops sulking.

Hi Mary!
Sometimes though they just CAN'T wear one. My Lucy is one of those. . She was SO upset by it she just stood paralyzed and she drooled uncontrollably. There was nothing I could do to get her to accept it, although she would just stand there while I put it on her like the good little girl she was. I tried cutting it back to no avail and I gave up on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts