Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Louie got bit by a pit today. Didn't do any damage, looked like there was a little blood on his gum line but no marks or anything. He acts totally normal.

I was out for a run with Louie, along a well used bike/walking trail, and this guy had his pits off the leash out playing around in the field. They ran up just started going for Lou. The guy grabbed one dog and I kicked the other in the ribs, and then proceeded to read the guy the riot act.

Really pissed me off for many reasons.. one, because he was a parolee (he told me that when I was grilling him) and of course had pits. Two, because he said its a free country so he should be able to have his dogs off the leash, (to which i responded I should be able to go for a run with my dog without getting attacked). And three because he just didnt get it that he was totally reinforcing anti-dog sentiment. Its because of jerks like him that I cant bring louie places where he would be totally civilized.

This is my second altercation with pits, and I am starting to think that there maybe is something wrong with the breed. Sure, the guy is ultimately at fault, but if they were goldens or labs running toward us I think the outcome would have been different.

Sorry for the rant! :mad:

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I just wanted to say I am sorry Louie got hurt today. I hope he is doing alright.

Personally, I don't think you should blame all pits. I know a lot of really nice ones. Usually it has to do with the people who raise them and obviously this man doesn't know how to raise his dogs right if he kicks them. No wonder they are in the shape they were in. I agree he shouldn't have had them off leash, though.

Reactions: TuckersMom

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
You and Louie were lucky, very lucky. Don't get me started about these "pit-bulls" mix that are in my area. They can be ill-bred and owned by idiots, so together it can be lethal. I really don't want to lump a breed as "bad" but if I could, it would be these dogs. I don't walk my dogs in my neighborhood because you never know when one will get out and get your dog or YOU. City is discussing rules, but unless they get more police to inforce, it is just words.

I do not mean to down a breed & know not all in the breed are bad in fact I know of a few that are fantastic family dogs, but bottom line is that the average pit in my area is not bred well, gotten as a pup, eventually ignored in the backyard & dumped at the shelter when too mean or too destructive to handle, then they get another pup. Vicious cycle and our shelters are full of pit or pit mix dogs.

Be very careful, these dogs were bred to kill & Louie might not be so lucky next time. It also might put him off of other large dogs which would be very sad.

I am a firm believer in that some breeds should not find their way into the general public. Fighting dogs are number 1 on my list because most average owners are not knowledgeable enough nor dedicated enough for their special needs. Sorry, for the rant, but this type of dog has change our once safe, fun neighborhood to one where no one walks their dogs and children must have their parents with them. Just too much danger and these dogs are everywhere. Bad, bad, bad.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
I'm sorry you had the incident.

The place we regularly went for light hiking became overrun with rough and tumble off leash dogs. No pitbulls, mainly labs, shepherd mixes. The owners had no recall control and the dogs would come bounding up and jump on my girl.

She's not very dog friendly and once she had knee surgery, it was a lost cause. She was knocked over more than once and so we don't go anymore. :( It stinks because she LOVED to go.

None of the owners I encountered were remorseful and a few got angry because I started to shout a warning "Call your dog immediately" and if they didn't or the dog kept coming, I'd spray pepper spray towards the dog. There are signs all over the trails saying dogs must be leashed, but it didn't matter.

Irresponsible dog owners ruin things for so many people.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Glad to hear that Louie is okay.

" I am starting to think that there maybe is something wrong with the breed"

Well, Pit Bulls were genetically bred to be animal aggressive. So, it sounds like there was nothing wrong with the pits. :( But, there was something wrong with the owner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm so sorry about Louie! Glad to hear that neither one of you got hurt too bad.
It's boneheads like this that I can't stand. I would be pissed off too. He should have had his dogs on a leash. period. I am not really a fan of the pitbull breed anyway.
I was in my old apartment one night and all of a sudden I hear this girl screaming bloody murder, I look outside and she is getting attacked by a freakin' pitbull. A man (he was not the owner) came running out of his house and grabbed the dog, and put it behind a gate. Help was called for and when the ambulance and police came, the poor girl said that she had seen the dog before. She was just walking past minding her business and the dog came running towards her and attacked her. No owner to be found.
The girl ended up being ok, but she should've never had to go through that. No one should. Ever.
I can't stand irresponsible pet owners. If you can't take care of and train your pet, then don't get one. :mad:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Years ago, my Grandparents' neighbor had a pit bull. One day while walking up their driveway, it appeared (it was off its chain) around the corner and had that not-so-friendly sizing-me-up look. I stood my ground, figuring if I turned my back to it that'd be all it needed. Luckily, it backed down and left.

A few weeks later, off chain again, it attacked my Grandmother. It had her on the ground by the thigh, when one of the other neighbors (not the owner) went for the dog, yelling and if memory serves me right, punching. Apparently the dog was so distracted, he let go of her. Little doubt he saved my Gran's life.

The neighbor was a 5 year old boy, believe it or not.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Our previous Golden was attacked by a pit once. She was out in the front yard with my husband early one morning when a pit ran into the yard and attacked her. I was inside and heard our dog yelping/screaming. Poor baby did the submissive thing and rolled over. My husband starts kicking the pit to get him off and the owner pulls up in his car and starts yelling at my husband to quit kicking his dog. My husband tells the guy to get his dog of our dog and he'd stop kicking him (but not in such nice language). The pit did run off with the owner chasing but then we were concerned because it was the time of day when kids were at the bus stop. We called the police but have no idea what ended up happening.

Anyway, I have seen many nice pits but unfortunately too many people get them because they are tough dogs and then don't bother to properly train them. I just don't get people who have aggressive dogs in general and don't understand why other people get upset by their dogs behavior. Just the other day at our local dog park an owner with two Goldendoodles was forced to leave by everyone else there when his dogs attacked a boxer puppy. The guy was mad and didn't want to go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
In my neighborhood, we've got questionable rotweilers...Again it's not the dogs, its the owners. Once we got attacked because the lady wasn't holding steadily to the leash, and the husband just looked on puzzled, while I had to get my two dogs away...another time in a park, a guy with a wolf dog purposely walk off the path through the shelter where I was sitting to get one dog I was walking "upset"...after we had just passed him in the park earlier in the trail and he knew my dog would act out....Crazy people...You gotta watch out for them.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Any aggressive dog should not be off leash, regardless of the breed.

This guy sounds like he's just a real jerk.

Pits can be sweethearts in the right hands, its just unfortunately the majority of people who get them, get them because they want this "big bad dog" and the poor dogs never get the training and exercise they need and deserve.

10 years ago it was Dobermans and Rotti's who were all bad dogs that needed to be put down... another 10 years from now who knows what breed will be labelled the bad guy.

I'm sorry Louie had to go through that. It's aweful. Tucker was attacked by a black lab once and it scared the crap outta me.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
As an onwer of an American Pit Bull Terrier I am sorry that Louie was attacked I am glad that he is okay.

APBT are dog aggressive dogs and should never be off leash where other dogs are running around. That is the owners fault not the dogs. These dogs have high prey drive. They were breed to help take bulls to market and then to fight bulls when that was outlawed they were breed to fight other dogs in the []. Owners need to be responsible for them and to ensure that no other living thing is harmed by them. APBT are not breed to be human aggressive if they show that triat a responsible owner/ breeder PTS that animal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't like to pick on the breed either, but I think the dog that bit Henry was a pit mix also. I wasn't sure he was a pit, but after watching pit bulls and parolee's most of the day, I'm pretty sure he's a pit mix.

Henry was in his crate earlier today and started barking like crazy. I looked out the window and saw the dog that bit Henry. Henry had seen him between the blinds. Henry did it again later and I looked out the window to find he was barking at the other dog in the neighborhood that looks similar to the one that bit him. He doesn't like that poor dog at all now...mistaken identity. Poor dog! He's even done a meet and greet before with the other dog and liked him just fine, but he's scared of him now because they are the same color and look similar.

I feel kind of bad for the breed because of everyone saying how pits are bad, but maybe some are just prone to be aggressive due to overbreeding or bad breeding. Though, I don't think it's just pits that are experiencing this problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies, Louie is his goofy self so looks like no harm done. He loves other dogs and doesn't have a mean bone in his body, thats why it disturbed me that these dogs attacked him.

One thing that bothers me is that even though i live in a nice neighborhood I have to worry about this. I'd hate to hurt an animal, but I love Louie more than other dogs and if I had to hurt or even kill a dog that attacked unprovoked I would.

Now I have something else in my mind every time I go for a run and just want to relax.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I saw an excellent comment on a blog elsewhere.

" I feel sorry for pitbulls, they attract moron owners like magnets.
pilatunes "

I sure don't trust them and one of my favorite dogs I had in my life was a APB mix.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
One thing that bothers me is that even though i live in a nice neighborhood I have to worry about this. I'd hate to hurt an animal, but I love Louie more than other dogs and if I had to hurt or even kill a dog that attacked unprovoked I would.
Now I have something else in my mind every time I go for a run and just want to relax.
I feel your pain. We live off of a walking trail. There are many people who walk their dogs along with no leash, even though signs are posted. Sienna is very nervous on leash. I find myself being very tense when we go on a walk as I am always wondering if there will be an altercation which isn't good.

I did buy some cintronella dog spray to have in my pocket in case of emergency.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Okay...

My neighbours GR is nasty and has attacked 2 dogs...a Chi and a Dane. My other neighbours Flat Coated Retriever mauled a puppy breaking its leg. Lincoln was attacked by a GR when he was a puppy. Safe to say there is something wrong with the GR breed?

I have yet to meet a nice Shih tzu...(besides my mix)...is there something wrong with the breed?

I do believe there can be a couple odd quacks in each breed. But pitbulls have earned their reputation because of people. The pitbull I owed was a rescued breeding/bait dog and she was a sweety. I have been charged by pitbulls on my walk before and I never once blamed the breed. Its all about how they are bred, raised, trained and treated

I could also say something is wrong with Dalmatians because I only met 2 in my life that were friendly and I am shocked they were considering the owner beat them on a regular basis (I am not longer friends with the owner)

Its sad because if your lets say walking a pitbull and a GR runs up and mauls your dog and your pitbull bites back...the pitbull is automatically the one to blame. Same thing with any profiled dog from German Shepherds to Rottweilers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay...

My neighbours GR is nasty and has attacked 2 dogs...a Chi and a Dane. My other neighbours Flat Coated Retriever mauled a puppy breaking its leg. Lincoln was attacked by a GR when he was a puppy. Safe to say there is something wrong with the GR breed?

I have yet to meet a nice Shih tzu...(besides my mix)...is there something wrong with the breed?

I do believe there can be a couple odd quacks in each breed. But pitbulls have earned their reputation because of people. The pitbull I owed was a rescued breeding/bait dog and she was a sweety. I have been charged by pitbulls on my walk before and I never once blamed the breed. Its all about how they are bred, raised, trained and treated

I could also say something is wrong with Dalmatians because I only met 2 in my life that were friendly and I am shocked they were considering the owner beat them on a regular basis (I am not longer friends with the owner)

Its sad because if your lets say walking a pitbull and a GR runs up and mauls your dog and your pitbull bites back...the pitbull is automatically the one to blame. Same thing with any profiled dog from German Shepherds to Rottweilers.
blame it on people, blame it on breed, whatever. Its been shown that these dogs attack more than other dogs. Just like some dogs like water while other dogs dont. Youre going to find exceptions to every breed, but the point still stands. People like GRs because of their temperament, easy to train, loves people and other animals, etc etc. Pit bulls have a temperament too, and that normally means aggression. Is every dog like that? No, but the point still stands. Sorry, these dogs didnt get this reputation for no reason, just like Goldens didnt get a reputation for no reason.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
blame it on people, blame it on breed, whatever. Its been shown that these dogs attack more than other dogs. Just like some dogs like water while other dogs dont. Youre going to find exceptions to every breed, but the point still stands. People like GRs because of their temperament, easy to train, loves people and other animals, etc etc. Pit bulls have a temperament too, and that normally means aggression. Is every dog like that? No, but the point still stands. Sorry, these dogs didnt get this reputation for no reason, just like Goldens didnt get a reputation for no reason.
No, they got their reputation because of people. Pitbulls are not the number one breed to attack on humans. Maybe on dogs yes, but not on humans. I understand your upset and I would be to, but not once have a blamed the breeds that have bitten my dog. Its all the owners fault. My Pitbull got a long with anything, even my cat. She would be off leash and run up to other dogs and the owners would be throwing their arms screaming like banshees because shes automatically deemed dangerous because shes a pitbull.

I am sure if some news reporter started publishing cases from GR or Lab dog bites they would be deemed dangerous pretty fast.

Heres a video, its kinda graphic (damages shown to other dogs) but it also has stats in the end though pertaining to a 7 year study that showed labs and cocker spaniels were statistically more dangerous. I am trying to source that information but I have no time at this second to search but will try later.

Please dont watch it if your sensitive. Swears have been blurped out so its a "clean" video.

It always upset me when people would come over and always keep an eye on my dog and you could tell they were visibly nervous. I had a couple people ask to lock her up, muzzle her, put her outside etc. That upset me because there wasnt a nasty bone in her body. I got so sick of it, plus with the new law out where it required she be spayed as I couldnt spay her (she had a medical condition where she reacted to the drugs so it wasnt safe to). I got sick of having the city here demanding I risk her life to spay her, make her wear a muzzle and be on a 3 foot chain with a chain collar...upset me to know end. It wasnt fair to walk Lincoln and he be allowed to play but my Pitbull was not. So I made the best decision to rehome her with some family in New York where she is very much loved.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I am sorry this happened. Flora and I were almost attacked by a giant schnauzer a month or so ago and it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. I'm glad Louie is okay.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"Pit bulls have a temperament too, and that normally means aggression."

Well bred pit bulls are very people friendly. Well bred pits should be genetically predisposed to be animal aggressive. This is their breed standard.

Well bred goldens should have a solid friendly temperment toward people and dogs.

Pits that are aggressive to people are not correct to their breed standard.
Goldens that are aggressive to people and other dogs are not correct to their breed standard.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts