Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I wondered if I could get any input as I am absolutely shattered, confused, and devastated. Last Wednesday 4/28, my almost 8 year old precious golden, Charlie randomly passed away. He seemed tired that day, but nothing that rang siren bells. My husband said he downed his food in the morning like he always did. The past few months he seemed to slow down a little which I attributed to his getting older. That day, he seemed like his back legs were sore and bothering him a little but he also had hip dysplasia. I did leave some Lysol toilet bowl cleaner in the toilet on accident but I don’t think he got into it.. he has absolutely no GI issues that day. About 5pm, my mom and her two little dogs came to visit and when they opened the door, I could see Charlie was so unbelievably excited with his tail wagging and whining to play with them like he always did. Literally 2 minutes later, I look over to see him literally throw himself back onto the floor, shake (maybe seize) a little, and then stop completely. I thought he died right then and there. He came to but I then noticed how pale his gums were and how dilated his eyes were. Rushed him to the vet, where I got to say goodbye in the back of my car (not sure how lucid he was) and he was whisked away on a stretcher. The vet said they put in an IV and administered epinephrine but he coded right after that.. CPR to no avail. From him collapsing to death, this was about 25 minutes. The vet took a postmortem X-ray hoping for answers, but instead we saw a great looking abdomen and chest so she was confident in ruling out hemangiosarcoma. Her best guess is a clot that traveled to his heart or brain. He had a vet visit 8 days prior for his 3year rabies and the vet at the time marveled at how beautiful he looked and sounded. I am absolutely heart shattered and cannot come to terms with the fact that my young and seemingly healthy boy is gone. He truly was the doggie love of my life. The first photo I took of him about an hour and a half before everything began and I am so thankful I did. Any ideas as to what else could have happened?

RIP sweet Bubba. I will never ever forget you and I love you forever.
FE657E0A-B2F1-4216-A022-57D838A166B6.jpeg

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Charlie He had such a sweet face. 8 is too young!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Charlie. He looks like a fun and happy fella in those photos. My wife and I just lost our 9 yr old Charley in February so we know how much it hurts. It takes time but photos like these and all your happy memories of him will help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry to hear about Charlie. He looks like a fun and happy fella in those photos. My wife and I just lost our 9 yr old Charley in February so we know how much it hurts. It takes time but photos like these and all your happy memories of him will help
How long did it take you? It hasn’t been a week yet but I still can’t believe he’s gone 😔 nothing is the same without him.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Every time my wife hears that Chris Stapleton song about the fuzzy black pup she starts crying.....my eyes still water a little bit as well, so we're not really past it yet. We do have a 7 yr old female named Lola who is his sister from a different litter and having her has helped some. We have tried to focus on helping her through because she missed him terribly at first as well. We are planning to get a male puppy at the beginning of June though, because we know that our Charley was such a loving dog he would not want us to be sad. I bet your Charlie was alot like that too. They bring something special into our lives that once you've had it, it's hard to live without. So give yourself some time, focus on the good memories and hopefully that will ease the pain in your heart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Every time my wife hears that Chris Stapleton song about the fuzzy black pup she starts crying.....my eyes still water a little bit as well, so we're not really past it yet. We do have a 7 yr old female named Lola who is his sister from a different litter and having her has helped some. We have tried to focus on helping her through because she missed him terribly at first as well. We are planning to get a male puppy at the beginning of June though, because we know that our Charley was such a loving dog he would not want us to be sad. I bet your Charlie was alot like that too. They bring something special into our lives that once you've had it, it's hard to live without. So give yourself some time, focus on the good memories and hopefully that will ease the pain in your heart.
Thank you for that. It’s just so hard losing him so suddenly and tragically. I think I’ll always hurt and wish more time with him. I’m sure eventually the pain will get easier to manage and I’ll remember all of the good times (I already do, but am just crippled with grief). Being at home is so hard, and my 2 year old keeps mentioning his name. Time will help.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've had Goldens for 36 yrs and my wife and I were married 28 yrs ago. We had to go through this experience multiple times over the years. It never hurts any less because each dog is special in their own way. Charlie took a little piece of your heart with him, but he left you with so much too. Use that to help you through and don't let your grief cripple you. I'm sure he wouldn't want that. 3goldens
wrote something I read a week or two back...I think it's in the rainbow Bridge section ....if I find it I'll try to direct you to it. It's a really good read and might help with perspective. I wished I was articulate enough to put those same feelings into words when I read it.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard. I'm happy he was so well loved and I know he loved you even more. He looks so precious and happy. I hope your heart will be comforted by memories of your good times together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had Goldens for 36 yrs and my wife and I were married 28 yrs ago. We had to go through this experience multiple times over the years. It never hurts any less because each dog is special in their own way. Charlie took a little piece of your heart with him, but he left you with so much too. Use that to help you through and don't let your grief cripple you. I'm sure he wouldn't want that. 3goldens
wrote something I read a week or two back...I think it's in the rainbow Bridge section ....if I find it I'll try to direct you to it. It's a really good read and might help with perspective. I wished I was articulate enough to put those same feelings into words when I read it.
I’m afraid I will never love another dog like him. Even our Australian Shepherd I just don’t love as much (love him dearly thought). Right now I’m having trouble connecting with him as he doesn’t give me the emotional support Charlie did and would be giving me right now. Love is an understatement for what I feel for Charlie.. I can’t believe we lost him so suddenly. I feel so guilty if it’s something I missed or we could have caught. I will always wonder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am so sorry for your loss. It's hard. I'm happy he was so well loved and I know he loved you even more. He looks so precious and happy. I hope your heart will be comforted by memories of your good times together.
Love was an understatement for what before (will always feel) for Charlie. He knew how loved he was and we knew how much he loved us.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Words can't describe how I feel reading this. Coping with a sudden and unplanned departure is tough. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. May those happy moments with him bring you a bit of joy in your grieving

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Words can't describe how I feel reading this. Coping with a sudden and unplanned departure is tough. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. May those happy moments with him bring you a bit of joy in your grieving
They absolutely do! But then I remember he’s not here anymore and I will never see him again and I get sad all over again 😔

·
Registered
171 Posts
They absolutely do! But then I remember he’s not here anymore and I will never see him again and I get sad all over again 😔
It is ok to feel that way. If you need someone to talk to, there are pet grief support hotlines that you can talk if the pain becomes unbearable. You can search for them online or dm for the number I used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is ok to feel that way. If you need someone to talk to, there are pet grief support hotlines that you can talk if the pain becomes unbearable. You can search for them online or dm for the number I used.
I am not sure how to dm on here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, I wondered if I could get any input as I am absolutely shattered, confused, and devastated. Last Wednesday 4/28, my almost 8 year old precious golden, Charlie randomly passed away. He seemed tired that day, but nothing that rang siren bells. My husband said he downed his food in the morning like he always did. The past few months he seemed to slow down a little which I attributed to his getting older. That day, he seemed like his back legs were sore and bothering him a little but he also had hip dysplasia. I did leave some Lysol toilet bowl cleaner in the toilet on accident but I don’t think he got into it.. he has absolutely no GI issues that day. About 5pm, my mom and her two little dogs came to visit and when they opened the door, I could see Charlie was so unbelievably excited with his tail wagging and whining to play with them like he always did. Literally 2 minutes later, I look over to see him literally throw himself back onto the floor, shake (maybe seize) a little, and then stop completely. I thought he died right then and there. He came to but I then noticed how pale his gums were and how dilated his eyes were. Rushed him to the vet, where I got to say goodbye in the back of my car (not sure how lucid he was) and he was whisked away on a stretcher. The vet said they put in an IV and administered epinephrine but he coded right after that.. CPR to no avail. From him collapsing to death, this was about 25 minutes. The vet took a postmortem X-ray hoping for answers, but instead we saw a great looking abdomen and chest so she was confident in ruling out hemangiosarcoma. Her best guess is a clot that traveled to his heart or brain. He had a vet visit 8 days prior for his 3year rabies and the vet at the time marveled at how beautiful he looked and sounded. I am absolutely heart shattered and cannot come to terms with the fact that my young and seemingly healthy boy is gone. He truly was the doggie love of my life. The first photo I took of him about an hour and a half before everything began and I am so thankful I did. Any ideas as to what else could have happened?

RIP sweet Bubba. I will never ever forget you and I love you forever.
View attachment 882680 View attachment 882682 View attachment 882683
View attachment 882684
Our sweet 7 1/2 year old Chewbacca passed away in January. It was ten days from the X-ray that showed diffuse cancer in his lungs to the afternoon we let him go. We never expected to lose him at this age and it was truly devastating. My kids (who are teenagers) had basically grown up with him and it was especially hard on them. I can only imagine how heartbreaking this has been for you since it happened so fast. We still miss our boy desperately, but are gaining some perspective as the months go by and beginning to plan for a puppy. It's not much consolation, but one thing I told my children is that our Chewie didn't know how long his life was supposed to be and he spent every minute of that glorious life loved and adored by all who knew him. It's harder for us left behind but I know he had the most amazing 7 1/2 year life and it was extremely full and meaningful. Never knew a day without a cuddle or a nice meal, never met someone who wasn't his friend instantly. While it's hard to deal with our sadness over missing him, it gives me comfort that we gave him such a wonderful life and gave so much joy to us. Sending you many good thoughts as your family gets through this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our sweet 7 1/2 year old Chewbacca passed away in January. It was ten days from the X-ray that showed diffuse cancer in his lungs to the afternoon we let him go. We never expected to lose him at this age and it was truly devastating. My kids (who are teenagers) had basically grown up with him and it was especially hard on them. I can only imagine how heartbreaking this has been for you since it happened so fast. We still miss our boy desperately, but are gaining some perspective as the months go by and beginning to plan for a puppy. It's not much consolation, but one thing I told my children is that our Chewie didn't know how long his life was supposed to be and he spent every minute of that glorious life loved and adored by all who knew him. It's harder for us left behind but I know he had the most amazing 7 1/2 year life and it was extremely full and meaningful. Never knew a day without a cuddle or a nice meal, never met someone who wasn't his friend instantly. While it's hard to deal with our sadness over missing him, it gives me comfort that we gave him such a wonderful life and gave so much joy to us. Sending you many good thoughts as your family gets through this.
I love that. He knew nothing but love from every single day that we had him. We had him since 6.5 weeks and he really did have the most amazing life that was full of love, food, sticks, poop eating (he ate his poop everyday), stick chewing, and cuddles. I feel honored we were a part of his life and we’re able to be his humans, but it doesn’t make it any easier believing he’s actually gone and that I’ll never get to love on him again. Aside from my husband, he was my rock and anywhere he was, that’s where I wanted to be. My love for Charlie was and is some of the truest love ive ever known and I feel so lucky to have experienced that with him. It’s just not fair to him or is that his life was cut short so abruptly. I still find myself looking where he frequently laid, looking for some strands of his beautiful fur, and laying on his lonely dog bed. The hole he left behind is unbearable most of the time and I think it would be easier to accept if we knew it was coming. It was 100% unexpected and we have absolutely no $*^king idea what happened to our precious baby. I truly am mourning the loss of my child with not even one ounce of closure. I will always wonder what happened and wonder if it was anything I did 😔💔

·
Waggy Tails
109 Posts
I love the pictures of your boy. He had such beautiful, kind eyes. I lost my 5th golden last July within a few days of finding out something was wrong. He had histyocitic sarcoma. It was unbelievable to lose him in a matter of days. I, too, felt like I must have missed something but then I realized it wouldn’t have changed the outcome. His loss was great, even though I have another golden. He was just special. But really, they all are in their own unique ways. I love looking at his picture and remembering him now, and I cherish the memories of the time we did have. Take a moment to write down what made him special and the good times you had. I have done that with all my goldens and it has helped me. I have always gotten another golden. Not to replace a dog I’ve lost but to make new memories with a another beautiful golden soul. That helps me a lot, but you may need more time to grieve. Do what feels right for you. I’m so sorry for your loss of Charlie,

1 - 20 of 42 Posts