Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my .... Layla has got to be the most challenging pup I have ever had. She does have her issues - "nervous nellie" and such but come on....

Still blowing bubbles in the water bowl constantly - ummm Layla we would not get floaties in the water if you did not play with it all the time LOL. Last night I tried to remove her from the bowl.. and she freakin growled at me. It was a low complaint growl, but still got her placed in time out for a few minutes - I will not tolerate her growling at any of us.

Come - works really well in the house - not in her vocab outdoors anymore though. The other day was our first day above 10 degrees (still below zero with wind chill)... I took all three in the yard for some much needed play. After 30 minutes Dream and Hurley wanted back in... Layla decided it would be fun to play keep away from mommy for two hours. I thought she would get cold and come in... but noooo, every 10 minutes I would call, bribe, and try not to chase but-NO GO! Hurley finally got her in LOL.

Looks like we are going back to basics again....she is such a stinker!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do you use treats at all with recall? It has really helped Maya's recall to sometimes use high-value treats. Every once in a while when she comes, she will get a piece of cheese or meat. Other times I just give her Milkbones. That way every time I call her, she hopes she'll get the high-value treat.
Another training idea that has worked wonders for us is having an emergency recall word. You reward like crazy when you use it. We use the word zip and when Maya comes, she either gets a meal or several pieces of cheese or meat (I think they say to reward for 20-30 seconds). Even when Maya won't come when I say come, she turns on a dime and comes flying at top speed when she hears zip, regardless of what else is going on. I feel much safer having her off-leash knowing I can get her to come to me no matter what else is going on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We were told by our trainer that we will miss the puppy times when they grow up and he was right, so I try to remind myself of this when Morgan acts up. It sounds like Layla has an independent streak that is going to test you like any teenager would. We have the same problem with Morgan, she would stay outside all day if we would let her. To get her back in from the yard, sometimes we have to pull out all the tricks because calling her won't work. We use treats, squeeky toys and chase games (get her to chase us). Also if we take a toy to the door and throw it inside the house sometimes she will run into retrieve it and then we close the door quickly. It is sad to have to try and out smart them, but at 18 months, Morgan is havng fun and won't listen. When we are in the dog park though, she won't wonder far at all and comes without a problem. Good Luck! With the growling, it sounds like you may want to do some more formal training so she knows she is not boss.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm pretty sure Josie will be the same way as Layla this time next year - she's a challenge too! And every time I'm standing outside freezing while Josie sniffs leaves and chews sticks, I think at least I don't live in Chicago or Minnesota - how do you stand it???? New Englan d is bad enough, and I know it's not nearly as cold as you are. Major sympathy here from me!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
sasha is now 16 months old, her recall is still pants, if there is another dog at the place she plays she will not come back but if she is out on her own she is so much better, but how do i resist a sweet face like this

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
We are having the same issues with the recalll! Zep is 20 months, and he was doing so well with the recall...until the last week or so. He has suddenly decided that he does not want to come all the time...it's such a pain in the butt! Good thing he's so stinking cute! :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I guess when it's this cold and we all need to go back in, I would slip a leash out of my pocket BEFORE I announced we were going in and get her hooked up. If you call her to you several times while you're outside and give hefty rewards and then release, she'll never know that this is the 'we're going in now' last time.

She probably just thinks it's great fun to have your attention focused just on her and she takes advantage of that.

I'm sure I would get tired of having her blow bubbles in the water after a while too. Penny did it only once or twice and I thought it was hilarious, I wish she did it all the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts