Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on for awhile due to travel to WSU and their testing.
First and foremost, WSU is a great veterinary college and I would not hesitate to take any pet/animal to be treated there.
They are wonderful, knowledgable, and caring.

Allie was seen on the 5JAN, where two senior residents met me and Allie and examined her. We discussed course of action and then another resident came in and we discussed that rather than a surgical biopsy for Allie, they preferred a CT scan. Which we did.
The CT scan came back with a thoracic mass of 5.7 cm at it's widest and 4.3cm at the longest. The majority of the mass was inside the chest wall and was not able to be felt on the outside. So we were lucky in some ways that the lump was even able to be felt on the outside.
They said they would be able to do surgery the next day. I agreed to all the terms, but I had to leave for my own appointment in Seattle, so I told Allie to be "cougar fierce brave" and cried a bit, and left her in very capable hands.
Allie went into surgery yesterday about 1230PM and I hadn't heard anything by 5PM I started getting very nervous, and I called to get a status report on Allie. About 15 minutes later, they called and said that Allie was just getting closed up and that it went very well, and they wasn't even a blip on the machine for her. That the mass was not attached to any organs, and that they had to take out three ribs. The offending rib and the one in front and the one in back.
Allie slept through the night, the chest tubes are draining great, no bad colorations, and she got up and peed on a pee pad. She nibbled at some food, and they plan to take her outside at noon so she can pee outdoors.
Dogs are TOUGH!! Oh my, can you imagine a person going through this same surgery???

This is still not a cure. Dog cancers are not curable, she will get an average of 3 years out of this, maybe more, maybe less.

Pathology - histology still has to be done, they don't know if there is osteosarcoma involved, and that hurdle still has to be jumped, but even so, we will probably keep her around for at least 1 more year.

I found out that I have to have another brain surgery possibly in another six months, and I would so love to have her around.. I know it sounds selfish, but when you are in bed and can't move around, well I love this dog.
She has already wormed her way into the vet's hearts in Pullman.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Wow, you both have certainly been through it. Sending positive, healing thoughts to you both with many, many years to enjoy your Alllie.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Wow, I am so sorry you are going through this. Prayers for both YOU and ALLIE, during these tough times.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
So glad that Allie came thru the surgery so well and has a good diagnosis. We will keep both of you in our prayers during the next couple of months for everything.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds like Allie is a real brave fighter. Give her lots of lovin' when she gets home. She will be in our thoughts.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Allie sounds like a wonderfully brave girl. She and you will be in my thoughts. Please post updates.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, I appreciate the kind thoughts.. the first day they don't like the family to come around because the dog will try to do too much. I respect that.
I'm going crazy with the stress of it though.. I had dreams last night of her, and just prayed that she would have a good night and tried to telepathically pass that on to her. Worked didn't it?? hehehe..

Diagnosis? We really don't know yet, the margins are clear right now. The pathology still has to come back.. there are no guarantees on it. I'm still betting on chondrosarcoma.
Allie right now is a very, very brave dog and very special. I will be spoiling her to pieces!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Fingers crossed for a good pathology report for Allie. Wishing you much more time with your beloved girl and successful surgery for you when you need it.

·
3 goldens
12,184 Posts
Thatgirl is a trooper from the gitgo. Hoping and praying she has many many years with you. That is one toughsurgery she went thru.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I miss her so much! The weather is bad on the passes so I can't drive there today, I'm going to wait until tomorrow.. I also have to wait to hear what they say about her release date.
I just called for a status update and the vet student wasn't available, so I haven't heard whether she made it outside yet or not... for a tinkle break. How she is handling things and how much care she needs will make a big impact on how I transport her back to Kirkland.
sigh.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thatgirl is a trooper from the gitgo. Hoping and praying she has many many years with you. That is one toughsurgery she went thru.
NO kidding! She is a tough, brave girl. I had no idea that dogs could bounce back as quickly as she is right now.

update.. just got a call back, Allie is doing fantastic.. the chest draining is less, and we talked about this type of surgery and whether a person should put a pet through this kind of trauma.. and I feel that it was the right thing to do with Allie being a young dog, and that's the reason that she is bouncing back so well. She did go outside to potty, and they have already switched her over to oral pain meds, caused she was whining a little this morning. But, all in all she is doing great!
Thanks to the staff at WSU!

Can I ask what I could do as a thank you for the staff at WSU? There are so many involved.. students, the teacher that actually performed the surgery, the residents that have watched over Allie..

PS- kind of funny in a weird way, the one resident was saying when she called about the surgery.. she was soo happy she reminded me of 'Gray's Anatomy' she was saying "this surgery was so fun" that I could imagine the students lining up and fighting to be in the OR! They only perform 5 or 6 of these surgeries a year!

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
Wow, I am so sorry you are going through this. Prayers for both YOU and ALLIE, during these tough times.
That's exactly what I was thinking! And I'll admit a soft spot here as I have an Allie also and she is my special one...

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Paws & fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
All teaching hospital docs and students are always on the go, so food (homemade cookies, brownies or something along that line) is always gratefully received. That also covers all of them, so you don't have to think up individual thank-yous. Fingers crossed that Allie recovers completely and quickly.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I am so happy to hear Allie came thru her surgery well, hoping for a good pathology report for her.

I will be keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure you can't wait to have her home with you again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
All teaching hospital docs and students are always on the go, so food (homemade cookies, brownies or something along that line) is always gratefully received. That also covers all of them, so you don't have to think up individual thank-yous. Fingers crossed that Allie recovers completely and quickly.
I'm traveling across the state, do you think that if I went to Safeway and picked up muffins for the morning crew and cookies for the evening crew.. or even a nice bakery to pick up the items.. would that suffice.. it's food and I think even hunger would make them happy?

Thoughts?

·
Went Rogue...
599 Posts
I'm traveling across the state, do you think that if I went to Safeway and picked up muffins for the morning crew and cookies for the evening crew.. or even a nice bakery to pick up the items.. would that suffice.. it's food and I think even hunger would make them happy?

Thoughts?
Heck yeah!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi there.. Carole or other mod, can you move this to the cancer thread?

I didn't read through all the topics and I think that Allie's surgery would fit better there..
Thanks!
And thanks for the thumbs up on the muffins and cookies idea.. thats what I'll do for the staff and students.. free food always works!

1 - 20 of 118 Posts