Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

If my golden has a runny snotty nose about 3 months in the spring/summer, is it caused by allergies?
He sneezes a lot too.

Are there any allergy medications for dogs?
If so, what are they and where do I get them?
Do they work well?

I wanted to ask on this forum first before I go to vet to find out why he is so snotty.

Cellia

·
Old Guy
3,258 Posts
When people have allergies, they can get the hives (red spots and sometimes itchy skin) but mostly they have watery eyes and runny nose and sneeze a lot... however dogs are just the opposite... they most typically get real itchy, any and everywhere and since the paws, legs, tail and snout are the easiest places to get at, that's where you'll see them scratching the most. But I also heard and read about dogs also getting watery eyes and running noses and sneezing, just like people, however I'm told these are the more unusual cases.

Anyway, you can give them any over-the-counter anti-histamines that people take and it will work... we've used Benadryl (the purple/white 25mg caps). Our vet says these drugs are extremely safe and advised us we can give up to 4-caps at a time 4X a day. Sidney had a little water in his right ear and his right tonsil was a little swollen, so the vet wanted to rule out allergies first and told us to give him the Benadryl and see if the symptoms immediately improved. So we gave Sidney 2-caps 3X a day and he appeared better within 24-hours. After about 4 days of this we stopped and his symptoms have not returned... so I don't know what to think now.

Wow, I seemed to have run on a bit, sorry 'bout that... hope I've helped a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts