Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is eye goop, alone, enough to indicate an allergy? Maybe a real mild one...?

I noticed that Riley always seemed to have those icky 'eye goobers' when he was on Eukanuba. When we switched him to Fromm's 4-star whitefish & potato (because we wanted to take some weight off him) the icky eye stuff went away, completely. We figured we'd try the 4-star chicken formula this time and the eye stuff is back.

I'm thinking it has to be the chicken. But is the eye thing enough, by itself, to indicate an allergy? He's not itching, scratching, biting, licking... nothing.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, w00f. I appreciate it.
I'm thinking it has to be. It has to be a mild allergy or sensitivity. Fortunately, chicken is easy enough to avoid.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Have you had him checked by an opthamologist? Unfortunately, the eye goop is often explained away as allergies, when in fact intermittent eye goop can be the first sign of pigmentary uveitis. Are his eyes also a bit red? That would make me run, not walk, to the eye doctor.

Reactions: LifeOfRiley

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you had him checked by an opthamologist? Unfortunately, the eye goop is often explained away as allergies, when in fact intermittent eye goop can be the first sign of pigmentary uveitis. Are his eyes also a bit red? That would make me run, not walk, to the eye doctor.
No, I haven't seen any redness at all. Even when he's had a little goop, his eyes have been as clear and bright as always.

I'd be worried if the goop didn't so closely coincide with his eating chicken. I mean, as soon as we put him on the whitefish formula, it went away completely. Started switching him to the chicken formula and it came back. A few days ago, we stopped the transition, went back to just the fish formula and it's going away again. I didn't see any of the goop yesterday and he's had none so far this morning. So it would have to be a huge coincidence if it's anything else.

I'm watching him very closely, though. We've cut chicken from his diet completely, so if it comes back, we'll know there's something else going on.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Is it black, or green goop? If it is black, it is probably just the excess protein like when you get "sleep" in your eyes in the morning.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts