Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kate
21,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!

I'm just curious about whether people are experiencing higher allergy issues with their dogs at this time of the year?

Jacks (I think) has issues with mildew and mold. At least it seems like his eyes get really tear streaky in late winter and early spring.

Right now we are almost having early spring type weather with a lot of rain/moisture. He has the tear streaks getting bad again (I need to start wiping his eyes), and he's been randomly sneezing.

The sneezing is "new" and not regular enough for me to call our vet. And even then whether it's some kind of virus/sinus infection or allergies, they wouldn't really do anything to treat it.

Or would they?

So. Is anyone else going through this? :confused:

*** I'm pretty sure the tear streaks were going on before, but I did switch him from the usual beef or fish kibble to the "Turducken" bag. I assume if Jacks had a poultry allergy that it would present with itchy skin, not just teary eyes and sneezing.

*** I haven't noticed nasal discharge. If there is any, it's clear.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
My KayCee had allergies and it seems they went on all year, tho worse at some times. She was allergic to live oak and pine pollen, mold spores, bermuda grass and fleas, and probably other things. There were periods where she didn't have any trouble at all, and as strange as it sounds, her allergies lessened as she got on up to 7-8 years old.

Benadryl does help with allergies. You could give that a try. Hope you find the answer

·
Graham's momma too!
400 Posts
I am right there with ya! I don't live far from you and am having the exact problem with Midas. Little more eye drainage and some sneezing going on. He has some nasal discharge as well, but its all clear. Not enough for me to call the vet either. Got to be allergies is all I can think too. This weather has been CRAZY! Over 50 degrees last week and December, nuts, is all I can say.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
With all the moisture you guys are experiencing you may be having fungus issues and those are known allergy irritants. Try some Benadryl or OTC Chlortabs (sold at Walmart) and see if it helps. I put Toby on antihistamines during spring and fall when our fungus levels increase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts