Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi~

I just started the switch to adult food last week. I am feeding BB Lamb & Brown rice adult formula. I'm wondering how fast you can see allergies pop up? The other day I saw him put his foot in his mouth and bite down on it and that was it. He wasn't sitting there licking his feet or chewing for an extended amount of time. His ears look clear so far. Is it normal to be allergic to lamb? He also (trying to describe this in the best way) will use just his front teeth and "nibble" on his legs. ????????????? Would going to a limited lamb & rice like CN help or since I'm just noticing with the lamb switch, is lamb the problem? All other ingredients are the same as I stuck with the same brand just different meat source and lower protein (22%).

HELP! :)

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
Hi~

I just started the switch to adult food last week. I am feeding BB Lamb & Brown rice adult formula. I'm wondering how fast you can see allergies pop up? The other day I saw him put his foot in his mouth and bite down on it and that was it. He wasn't sitting there licking his feet or chewing for an extended amount of time. His ears look clear so far. Is it normal to be allergic to lamb? He also (trying to describe this in the best way) will use just his front teeth and "nibble" on his legs. ????????????? Would going to a limited lamb & rice like CN help or since I'm just noticing with the lamb switch, is lamb the problem? All other ingredients are the same as I stuck with the same brand just different meat source and lower protein (22%).

HELP! :)
Hard to find a dog that won't nibble a little bit as you described. My rescue lab had nibbled enough on both front legs(same spot) that he had bare spots showing. My vet said it was probably just due to boredom, being in a kennel for so long. As soon as I brought him home, the spots cleared up. Still nibbles, but not much. He even tried nibbling on my skin a couple of times.:uhoh: But I got him out of that routine.

I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't jump on food as the problem yet. Could be just seasonal allergies or a little boredom. Give it some time and if it continues ask your vet about it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. He hasn't been doing it consistantly so I'm not too worried. He's fully switched over now so we will see what the next month brings. He's not doing it so much that I think he needs to go to the vet but I just hadn't seen him put his foot in his mouth before so I thought I would see what people around here thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts