Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Goldens & Dressage 4ever
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

Haley has been very, very itchy for the last week. I am thinking this is seasonal since it started virtually the same week last year (we pretty much eliminated this relating to food allergies). She gets itchy, scaley, red patches under her belly and near her armpits. She wants to bite and scratch them constantly (so sadly she has to wear her cone). Last year the vet gave us a calming shampoo and spray (Duoxo) and a steroid spray to put directly on the red spots (GenOne). The GenOne seems to get rid of the spots within a few days, but more come in different areas. I hate to be using a steroid on her through the entire spring/summer and the vet said not to use it for more than 10 days straight at a time. I am also giving her 50 mg of benadryl which seems to help a little, but does not get rid of all the itching.

We are seeing a dermatologist tomorrow and will probably do allergy tests. Have any of you had experience with your dog having allergy tests? Is it better to do the topical tests or the blood tests? Our primary vet mentioned we might do allergy shots to help get rid of her allergies. Has anyone had experiences with these?

I get very hesitant with medications just because I react so horribly to them myself. I'm hoping you guys have some input!

Thanks!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I had the topical tests done,as I heard this was better, Cruiser was allergic to 48 things out of 52. All environmental, the shots has been the only thing that has helped him, But it doesnt work on all dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts