Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My English Golden is 4 months today and he started getting a few fleas about 3 weeks ago. We tried the baths and the natural TickZ (Tickz | Tick Treatment For Dogs, Pet Tick Treatment | PetzLife) that contains brewers yeast. He kept scratching and itching so we gave in to the Advantage II for the fleas.

Well....the itching got worse and he almost scratched his nipples off. The vet gave him a steriod shot and some benadryl to try and calm it down.

Day 4 after the steriod shot and he is still itching and no sign of fleas.

Is he allergic to the brewers yeast or fleas or other? Wouldn't the scratching and itching stop by now if he's been on benadryl and steriod shot for 4 days?

By the way we use TOTW High prairie large breed food.

Help!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I'm in NC too, over on the Coast. We have several NC members here, some from the Raleigh area.

Has your pup been eating the TOTW food since you got him? If so and he hasn't had any problems until now, I am guessing he may be allergic to fleas, or has allergies. How long have you been giving him the Brewer's yeast, it is possible he's allergic to that too. You may want to stop giving it to him to see if that makes a difference.

Some pups do not do well on topicals either, that could also be part of the problem.

I would work with your Vet to see if they have any recommendations.

ETA-I realize I didn't answer your questions, but it's hard to say since there are several variables that could be causing the problem.
I think working with your Vet may be the only way to determine what is the cause.

·
Kristy
9,835 Posts
Have you treated your home for fleas? Your yard? As I recall, fleas bite your dog and then jump off to lay their eggs. It takes multiple treatments of the dog and/or the house to kill the cycle.

It's always been my understanding that for every flea you see on the dog there are probably hundreds in the carpet and the yard. Getting rid of fleas is not always a quick fix. Especially if he picked them up somewhere outdoors where you walk him and he picks more up when you go back to those areas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information regarding the fleas and itching. All possible suspects when you look at how many variables there are to the situation I guess!

He has been eating the TOTW for about 2 months now. We switched him to that from the Orijen large breed puppy.

We have treated the carpet in the house with a flea killer and vacuumed it up. Actually been vacuuming once each day since then.

We are going to the vet today to see what she says, but I don't know what there will be to do if he already had a steroid shot any benadryl. I'll keep you posted.

·
Kristy
9,835 Posts
I suspect that because fleas are not as much of a problem for anyone with a dog now like it was 20 years ago that people (including vets) are not as educated about the issue. I would do a little more research on your own. Fleas that haven't been killed can actually live in the vacuum cleaner bag, it always used to be advised that you put in a new bag after each vacuuming. If they get a good foothold it is a major job. It may be worth calling a professional exterminator.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,712 Posts
You can either get a bomb to set off in your house or call an exterminator as Nolefan suggested. Either way, follow the directions as stated.

When you are vacuuming, if you have a bag or a bagless vacuum, you can put a section of a flea collar, 3-4" is usually enough in it to kill the fleas you pick up. I would dump the bag or contents of your bagless vacuum into a bag outside your house or in your garage. I wouldn't dump it in your garbage can inside the house.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts