Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I could use some help out there if anyone is available to comment. I'm away from home (3 1/2 hours away) on vacation now with my wife and our 5 month old Male golden, Frankie. I believe he is having some sort of allergic reaction to something here in Baltimore. He had been out in the backyard earlier today and I happened to notice one of is eyes was almost closed shut. Looking closer at it, it almost looked like he had injured his eye somehow. It was recessed a little and covered a bit by the membrane inside surrounding his eye. I immediately rushed him to the aminal hospital and by the time he was seen (30 mins later) his eye had completely cleared up as if nothing had happened. The vet did a dye test in his eyes to see if he had scratched anything and luckily she did not find anything. He had normal temp, colorful gums and a normal heart rate, full appetite.

I'm writing because it happened again just a few moments ago when I took him outside. Within 5 minutes of taking him out back, his left eye completely swelled up again and now I'm really uneasy about everything. I called the animal hospital again and was told by the vet to give him a benadryl, which I did about 30 minutes ago. I'm watching him now and it appears to be helping.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with their dogs? We are leaving for home in the morning, hopefully if he's ok we will bring him to the vet when we return unless it worsens tonight. In the mean time I wont take him to potty out back where I believe his reaction originated. I am a new owner and don't want to overreact, however at the same time I want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
WOW, I am no help but it sure sounds like an allergic reaction! Good thing it cleared up by itself.. is it again?

I have no idea what it could be, especially outside in winter!

Let us know how he does!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It does sound like an allergic reaction. I've had goldens that would react like that to a bee sting and the Benedryl cleared it right up. Can't imagine it would be a bug bite this time of year but it could be something growing in the back yard. I hope you find out what it is so you can avoid it in the future.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Hi

Hoping Frankie is all better now.
You said you are away from home. Wherever you are do the people put anything on their grass or bushes?
Maybe he did hit his eye.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
If the benedryl appears to be working, it is probably a reaction. Don't ever feel as if you are overreacting, one can never be too careful.

One night I had come home, and Brady had a huge lump on his muzzle. Of course by then the vet was closed. I went asking my kids and husband if they had noticed it, and if he had had it all day. Nobody could answer me, and of course I was think the worst. The benedryl brought it down in a couple hours!

Could even be from a spider in the house.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back at the animal hospital now. The inflammation returned as soon as he went outside. I carried him to the street and didn't allow him to walk on any grass. I just came back. They checked his eye again and found no debris or scratches. They gave him a shot of benadryl and some antibiotic eye ointment. I will call my vet when I get in to NY tomorrow. Very strange and unsettling because there is no definitive cause. Thank you for the input. I will keep you posted and hope an answer comes shortly that might help others with similar issues.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Just wanted to say what a wonderful dog "Daddy" I think you are ! Hope he's doing better by now.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is very odd. I wonder if there is something outside that he is allergic to. Being winter though you would think it would be gone. Hopefully you will find something causing the problem.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Yes, keep us up to date.

Maybe a neighbor is burning something in their fireplace that he is reacting to?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after a visit to our local vet, we're finally back at home now. They were unable to pinpoint exactly what caused the reaction, however they confirmed it was some kind of allergic reaction and prescribed benadryl for the next week if needed. They also performed a cytology on his ears and found a yeast infection, adding special ear wash to the newly growing puppy medicine cabinet. We will be keeping a close watch over the little feller and pray nothing else goes wrong for now. Again, I greatly appreciate the responses and look forward to learning from everyone here on the forums in the future.

P.S. I've attached a photo from our trip. Frankie is on the right, happy as a clam the day before his allergic reaction. He's such a good boy :)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts