Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go...I have a 1 1/2 year old golden that has had an allergic to something. As far as I can figure out it is Revolution brand flea, tick, and heartworm medicine. It is applied directly to the skin. Long story short, Addison had the medicine applied to her on Wednesday night. (She has been getting this medicine for the past year so it's not new to her.) Thursday she wakes up with a swollen face and hives. She is taken to the vet and given Benadryl and steroids. This all seemed to show improvement until the meds wore off. Now she has been back and forth to the vet mulitiple times for injections and medicated baths. The problem is she still has hives and seems to be very uncomfortable. We are doing everything the vet has said but still feel heartbroken and helpless. Anyone have any ideas or have you had a bad experience with Revolution?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for you but wanted to send you healing thoughts for your dog's speedy recovery.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
It is just so frustrating not really knowing what caused the allergic reaction. I hope Addison feels better soon. What was the vet's reaction when you mentioned the Revolution?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
So here we go...I have a 1 1/2 year old golden that has had an allergic to something. As far as I can figure out it is Revolution brand flea, tick, and heartworm medicine. It is applied directly to the skin. Long story short, Addison had the medicine applied to her on Wednesday night. (She has been getting this medicine for the past year so it's not new to her.) Thursday she wakes up with a swollen face and hives. She is taken to the vet and given Benadryl and steroids. This all seemed to show improvement until the meds wore off. Now she has been back and forth to the vet mulitiple times for injections and medicated baths. The problem is she still has hives and seems to be very uncomfortable. We are doing everything the vet has said but still feel heartbroken and helpless. Anyone have any ideas or have you had a bad experience with Revolution?
Was this the first time you used Revolution? That would be a VERY unusual type of reaction. Most sensitivities to spot-on treatments are local inflammation. I would encourage you or your vet to contact the manufacturer. If this is indeed caused by the Revolution, the manufacturer may have treatment ideas or even pay for some of the treatment.

I'm not sure where you are, but in my area, we see more insect bites/spider bites in the later fall. Is she on prednisone? That would be my go to for continued hives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts