Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Allergic Reaction - Hives - 8 weeks old

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CAROLINA MOM 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

My 8 week old golden, Moo, recently developed puffy/red, goobery eyes, and hives around her lower jaw line and inside her ears.
**From the breeder's vet, she had her first round of vaccinations the day I picked her up, including a second round of dewormer.**

I noticed the discharge from her eyes (whitish yellow) within 24 hours after picking her up from the breeder.When the goobery eyes turned into swollen eyes, I took her into the vet immediately; they did a full check up including the dye in her eyes to make sure there was no tear or damage to the actual eyes. They put her on an antibiotic eye ointment, as well as an oral steroid pill.

24-48 hours after that, (right now) not much improvement, and that's when I noticed the hives. Called the vet and they recommended putting her on 1/2 dose of benadryl (1/2 - 25mg) up to 3-4x/day, as needed. She is 13.1 lbs.

The vet said it could be ANY number of allergies, most likely food. I did expose her to a number of different treats (very little amount of each, all natural ingredients) in the short time I've had her. I have since stopped, and she is ONLY eating Acana-Lamb formula (all stages) dog food. The vet mentioned chicken and beef, as well as many carbs, can be allergens for dogs.

Another culprit could have been an all-purpose cleanser I used to mop the floors the night before I got her. I have since mopped twice, once with Dr. Bronners (highly diluted), and again with just water -hoping to eliminate this being the potential cause.

There are so many potential causes! I had to give her an emergency bath the first night and used "Pure and Sure Puppy Shampoo" all natural, and I don't think this caused it, but who knows. I don't think she has had any bug bites, at least I couldn't find anything, and neither could the vet.

Please if you have experienced something similar, share your story and how you resolved it. I feel awful for my little girl! Following the vets advice and keeping a close eye on her, but would love to hear from others, too.

- Miss Moo's Mom

See less See more
#3 ·
The breeder was first feeding the pups Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy, then switched at about 6-7 weeks to Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy. I switched to the Acana Lamb formula after she already had the reaction, so it's not that. The Acana has far fewer ingredients, and much more natural than the first 2. The vet agreed with my decision to switch to Acana, and supported the specific choice of the lamb formula. The reaction could have very well been from various treats I introduced, which I have since completely discontinued. Thank you for your feedback, I am open to hearing any and all ideas!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.