Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The person that does this in the bemidji area was telling last fall how she was having a class it was thursday night that doesnt work for me as my son has TKD. Well this time she set up for wednesday nights. Class starts in march and ends in april. I an test BaWaaJige for both his CGC and get his TDI all at once. I am so excited to do this with him. He is sucha social butterfly I think he will really enjoy the nursing homes.

Once we pass the TDI I will start training him to be a bark dog too.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
brak dog ??

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops " Bark dog" it is a reading programme. We go into the class rooms and help the children with their reading.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing with Buddy eventually but first he needs to start basic obedience classes.

Buddy adores kids and is super calm with them but is a wild man with adults. Go figure.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Sounds great! Beamer is signed up for intermediate class (which I am pretty sure involves CGC testing at the end!) We start tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have either of you done therapy work with dogs before? I was the first in my area to get a TDI on a American Pit Bull Terrier. Mikado was loved at the nursing homes and if he saw a person with a walker or a wheelchair when we were downtown he was litterally run to them and then sit down to be petted. Alot of folks knew Mikado around town and I dont even live in Bemidji...lol. He was the first dog in the hospital too.

I cant wait to do this Jige. It is going to be so much fun. I got the TDI on Vendetta but the older she gets the more she doesnt care for men so I quit taking her. It stressed her out and More men wnat to she her than women.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I used to work in a developmental center with exception individuals. Lucky would go to work with me. He was not certified though.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Congratulations Bawadjige. He will do so well and you need to tell us how it goes. I have never had a Therapy dog, but enjoyed the visits at the Care Center in our town. Nothing like a dog to make people feel better and there is something about a Golden that just makes the patients feel so good. Just a very good thing and proud you are doing this with Jige.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much :) :). Yes I think Jige will be perfect for this. He already puts a smile on peoples faces and he loves to be petted. I think he will make a good dog for the reading programme too as he loves to lay at my feet and you can rub him and he just rolls over on his back. I think the kids will truely love him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts