Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had any human siblings, but Alfy was a little brother to me... we got jealous of each other growing up, I took the piss out of him, he'd ignore me sometimes, but at the end of the day, we loved each other so dearly... he'd lick me for hours and I'd stroke him for hours.

He passed away three days ago now, on 21st February 2011, aged 11 1/2. It was so sudden... he was the Peter Pan of dogs - he never grew old. Literally less than two weeks before he passed away, people would ask my parents on his walks if he was a puppy. I'd always expected him to live 'til 14+, especially as he never showed any outward signs of ageing.

My dad woke me at 8:30 a.m. to say that Alfy had collapsed in the hallway and although he had stood up himself and moved into our living area, he had very laboured breathing and was wobbly... my parents had called the vet round and we all sat by my lovely boy, stroking and gently comforting him whilst he was examined. His gums were extremely pale and apparently his stomach sounded very unhealthy... the vet said they could take him to the surgery and open him up to try and see what was wrong/help him... but when we asked them for an honest prognosis, they said that it was likely he had a burst tumour with internal bleeding and that very few dogs survive surgery in such circumstances.

My parents and I didn't want him to go through all that stress... it would have been selfish of us... we couldn't bear to lose him, but he'd had such an amazing life, and we had the choice to let him go peacefully in the state he was in... so we did. We didn't need to move him, he could stay lying exactly where he was... when he went, his head fell into my hand and that's how he died.

My heart is broken. I feel dead inside.

My beautiful boy has gone... my brother... the one I always went to when I was upset. I've never had anyone/any pet die without Alfy there for comfort... it's just so lonely. I would do anything to stroke his body again... we had the vet leave him with us for a few hours and we all just sat around stroking him... crying... saying our personal goodbyes.

I am just so pleased that we have (literally) hundreds and hundreds of photos of him. It has been giving me something to do, looking through them... sometimes it's too difficult and I can't bear to look, but other times, it feels like the only thing that could possible comfort me right now.

I guess I just signed up on here for some support and to talk to other people who have lost their beloved pets.

Thank you to anyone who has read this, I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your Alfy. We are never prepared to lose them. I'm so glad you were with him when he needed you. Treasure your pictures and memories of your sweet boy. He was so very handsome.

I just lost my girl Magic 2 days ago at age 11 1/2 also. It's funny poeple were always surprised to hear how old she was because she acted like such a young dog.

I see you are in Kenilworth which is where I live. Perhaps we passed each other in Abbey Fields with our beloved Goldens. I feel sad when I am there now with just Jazz. We are missing our sweet girl.

·
Premium Member
18,266 Posts
He was clearly a special boy, I am sorry for his loss. You will get a lot of support here, there's too many of us who understand exactly what you are going through because we've experienced it too.

Having so many pictures is a blessing, the memories are priceless.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The center pic with the smile just lets you know what a happy dog you had and what a wonderful life you gave him. We lost our golden Savannah May 2010, and miss her every day even though our new puppy Sadie is making me smile and laugh again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your replies... they mean such a great deal to me at this very difficult time. Magiclover, it's astonishing that you live in Kenilworth also, of all the places in the world to be! Deeply sorry to hear about your lovely girl, Magic, she looks like such a sweetheart. You may well have seen my parents with Alfy at some point - we usually walked him over the fields opposite our house on Rounds Hill, though, or at Castle Farm or Kenilworth Castle.

We weren't planning to get another dog for a long while, but someone made the very wise point that we are never going to stop missing Alfy or wishing that we could have him back, but to be able to fill some of the doggy void in our house and lives with another lovely goldie in need of a home, would do us all a lot of good... so we actually have an 11 week old puppy called Dio, as of a few days back! He was originally spoken for, but the person who had put down a deposit for him couldn't take him anymore for whatever reason, so he's a bit of a puppy and a bit of a rescue!

Had a big cry about Alfy the night before last... I just want him back so much :(.

Anyway, here's a picture of Dio on his first day with us in his new home:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
A ruptured tumor (and quite likely hemangiosarcoma) does not have a good prognosis. It was most likely best that you let him go,:( but it sure does hurt. I am so glad you were all there with him and could ease his way to the rainbow bridge.

I lost my boy back in October and am so glad I was at home and could immediately take him to the vet. The pain eases, but I still cry over Copper.:(

I am so glad you got Dio. He will surely help ease the hurt in your heart. They don't "replace" the one we've lost, but having a new love does make it easier to bear - at least for me.

Alfie was a beautiful, happy boy. He is so funny catching the snowball.:) His smile is precious and I know you two had such a good life together. Big hugs to you.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Oh congratulations on your new little Dio! He is a cutie. He can never replace Alfy or the way you loved him but your heart will make it's own special place for him. Please keep us updated on how you are doing and share some pictures of both Dio and Alfy if you would like. This board can help you as Dio grows and provide lots of support

I sometimes walk around the Castle as well, I live very close to there. If you ever see an American lady with one Golden it's bound to be me. :) We also have UK social group on here for chatting if you would like to join. Take care!

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I am so sorry I didnt see your post before, what a terrible time for you, so very sad, I had the same heart break last year when I lost my Cracker and Dio will never be Alfy but he will help your healing and he will fill your house with love and fun and help you to turn your sadness into smiles again. Sending a big hug to you. Your 2 boys are beautiful and yes, please come and join us on our UK section too, we're a fun lot there too. I now have Chester and he has been the best idea I could have had, I miss my girl like billio but I love them both.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Alfy

I am so very sorry to hear about your Alfie.
I am sure he is playing with my Smooch and Snobear at the Rainbow Bridge!!

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss of Alfy--he was such a beautiful boy. We lost our Rott'n on December 23 almost exactly how you lost Alfy except he never made it to the vet and passed in my arms on the way there. Hemangiosarcoma was suspected by our vet. While the decision to let them go is never easy, Alfy was surrounded by those he loved and who loved him. We would love to see more pictures of Alfy when you are ready to share as posting pictures and talking about them does seem to help ease the pain of their loss.

Dio looks like a lovely pup and will most definitely help ease your pain. Don't be surprised to find yourself feeling guilty sometimes, a very natural feeling, but know that Alfy would never want you to be alone and would want you to love another. I feel it is one of their most cherished attributes--only wanting those they love to be happy--and by getting another you are just paying tribute to Alfy's memory and the love he brought during the brief time he was with you.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."
~ Unknown

1 - 12 of 12 Posts