Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lat Saturday the local groomer called in his van to grrom Alfie & Bracken. Alfie had a nice warm hydrobath and light trim, but Bracken on the other hand was stripped. This was because her coat had become so heavy, and she loves the water too much. This led to her not drying out properly, and matting was happening. I was worried that she would be a bit concious, but I should of not. She is 10 years old, and this stripping has given her a completely new lease of life, it's brilliant. It is like she has lost 5-6 years. It has also given us an oportunity to look properly for any lumps and bumps she might have. The only thing that we did find was a little trim body, as with fur she looked a little tubby LOL :wave:
Unfortunately Alfie showed his disgust on the following walk.......... God I hate him sometimes

Attachments

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
They looked great for a bit after their spa day! That is one large pile of fur they pulled off Bracken! I'm sure she felt like a million bucks after loosing all that fluff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why did you have Braken shaved??? Was it due to matting????
We had Bracken stripped because she has an extremely heavy coat. This coupled with her emense love for water has created a situation where she is taking an age to dry fully, although she feels dry to the touch lower down by the skin is still damp and i was worried with her maturing years that this would be uncomfortable. It was also starting to mat, and there were some nasty little knots. As I said in the origional post she is now soooo happy, and appears younger in both looks and attitude. She just loves the new look. I really did not want it doing at first, but now I am so glad that i did for all the reasons above

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They both look great and I love Alfie's expression with the big smile on his face. She does look really good after her stripping and alot happier. I bet once it grows out alittle she will be even prettier. I have been trimming my Beau's fur shorter on his legs and body because he is so thick and if he gets wet it takes him hours to dry without a drier.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We used to shave our last golden every summer for the same reason - she was in the pond in the backyard 47 times a day and it was impossible to keep her a) clean b) dry and c) clear of skin irritation. She was a MUCH happier dog with her summer 'do!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
i have shaved Einstein before and he seems to like to have that shorter shaved look then having long hair. Also cause Einstein dislikes being brushed having him shaved made him happy cause he didn't require brushing. If you saw how he reacted when he sees a brush you would understand. His hated been brushed even as a puppy he disliked it. He seems so much happier being shaved and it seems to keep him cool.

I think if the dog seeems more happier being shaved then having long hair then why not let it be happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bracken does look alot happier, and Alfie's expression is priceless!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts