Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My golden retriever puppy was born without pigmentation in her nose, paws and rims around her eyes. Her brother from same litter is black in all of those areas. While she looks so “pretty in pink” 😀 I’m very worried about any health implications. True albinos can have blindness and huge skin cancer risks. Her fur is light but not ALL white. Her irises in her eyes are not pink either so if she does hsve albinoism it would be partial. Then I see how laboradors can have “Dudley” noses and be just fine but that seems very specific to regular labs. Has anyone on here raised a golden retire over that lacked pigmentation in paws, nose, eye rims? Does anyone have genetic testing recommendations for this possible “condition”

Attachments

·
Kristy
10,348 Posts
Is she from a breeder of 'comfort' Goldens or is this a breeder who provided an AKC pedigree? Just curious if there could be another breed of spaniel mixed in somewhere behind her. Are her eyes light? Does she have pigment at all on the pads of her feet or on her skin? I have never seen a Golden with pigment like hers. Has your vet been helpful at all? I hope you're able to get some answers that make you feel better. If she was mine I'd just be careful about sun exposure and finding a vet who seems interested in her case and making sure she gets appropriate regular checkups.

·
the party's crashing us
4,442 Posts
She is certainly not an albino. It looks like she is chocolate pigment with yellow fur like a bbee labrador. I would be curious to have her color DNA tested to find out. Goldens do not carry for chocolate so I would highly suspect she is not purebred. Where did you get her?

·
Registered
13,579 Posts
She is definitely very sweet looking. I'd be curious about what a DNA test and her pedigree would suggest, too about whether something else is mixed in.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Even if you did get a pedigree/papers- I would invest in a breed DNA because there's no way I could ever believe she is all Golden.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree that she’s probably genetically b/b brown (or “chocolate” in Labrador parlance) with the hair colour masked by the ee gene that gives Golden Retrievers their colour, although her eyes look darker than is usual with the bb gene. bb pales the coat colour in dark dogs and also pales the nose, eye-rim and eye colour.

There is a readily available genetic test for the bb gene. However, I don’t believe the gene is associated with any problems. My Brittany is genetically bb with dark-pink nose and eye-rims and doesn’t seem to be susceptible to sunburn, despite living in a hot sunny climate.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
What a cool looking dog! But I agree with the others that I’ve never seen a purebred golden, especially a young golden, with this coloration. I hope you do run a DNA test on her, and come back and let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
Finn
448 Posts
The face reminds me of a Clumber Spaniel a little, even though the coloring doesn't match. Almost like she's a Clumber x Golden mix or Clumber x lab
I could see that, the head shape doesn't match but the looser skin and expression is similar to a clumber. Although, I'd want to see what the other pup from the same litter looks like.

·
the party's crashing us
4,442 Posts
I suppose it is, but the e allele in FCRs is very rare so would be unlikely. When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras...

·
Super Moderator
1,535 Posts
I suppose it is, but the e allele in FCRs is very rare so would be unlikely. When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras...
I mean, yes. Lol the idea just popped in my head and I wondered if it was possible. 🤷🏼‍♀️

This puppy’s skull isn’t right for a flat coat. I agree that she’s probably a mix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts