Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My girlfriend and I are looking to adopt/purchase a golden from a reputable breeder. I acknowledge the fact that premium/top of the line pup are ~1500 and up, unfortunately that is not in our price range. I have found a few breeders in my area I am curious about, but they fail to provide any detailed information about the sires and dams. Long story short, has anyone heard of Al-Bark Kennels? If so or if not, would anyone know of any reasonably price ($600-$800) breeders in the MD, DE, VA, WV area? Thanks so much.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Please be patient.....you will not regret saving, pinching pennies for a while to save up and buy from a reputable breeder that is doing everything they can to sell you a puppy with the best chance at a healthy life....

Please stick around and read why breeding doodles is a bad idea...

Please read up on why clearances are so darn important...

Please read why it is so important that breeders do something with their dogs other then make a buck...

Reactions: Selli-Belle

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Please listen to the members of this forum before you buy a puppy from these people!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
If you put away $200 a month for the next 6-7 months- you will be able to save. It will take longer, that's all. It will pay you back in the long run. A puppy from a lineage that has not been tested for hereditary disease is a shot in the dark. You might be fine, or you might end up with a very unhealthy dog requiring mediation, surgery, and the list goes on. Been there, done that!

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you buy a low price puppy who ends up not having good shoulder and hips, replacement surgery is about $8000 per hip. If you could not afford that what would you do? Let the dog live in pain? Put the dog down? As others have said, the cost of your puppy is the lowest cost you will incur. We have raised dogs for over 25 years and it is a reasonable estimate that it costs about $1000 per year to properly feed and care for the dog. If you are having problems with the incremental cost of less than $1000 you might best ask yourself if you can afford a dog at this point in your lives. Do you both work? If so how will you care for him while you are at work when he is a puppy and still needs training and interaction. From what you have said, you both need to think a lot mre before moving forward with this decision.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did anyone else notice that one of their females is 24" and 80 lbs and their male is 20" and 55 lbs?

And the picture on the home page of the dogs kenneled in a Quonset hut o_O just makes my heart hurt.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Banned
616 Posts
Not one of their goldens is pictured inside and not with a litter of puppies nursing off of them....so sad. These are social living beings, stuck on what looks like a green-house (which must be hot in MD).

PLEASE I beg you wait for a puppy that will be healthy and everything that you want. By buying from these people you are securing a place for those poor adult dogs in a cage just to be bred again, to never know the love of a family.
If you buy a puppy without health tested parents, I can almost promise you the vet bills will be double to triple those over the life time of a puppy from health tested parents. View this as an investment.

A reputable breeder will walk you through everything, answer any question you have, take every step possible to prevent any health issues, show and cherish their breeding dogs as members of their family, and of course expertly raise your puppy to give him or her the best start possible (decreasing house breaking time and making obedience training a breeze). And $1500 is necessary the end all be all price, I think there are sometimes hobby breeders asking $1000, and most certainly $1200. Is there really that much difference in $1000 and $650 in terms of savings? Not really when you are talking the difference of ideals in a breeder. A reputable breeder who does everything right asks $1000 for a puppy they loose a lot of money (which means you get a good deal, they are providing more services than you are paying for out of their own pockets) this is for the betterment of the breed. Once you stay around a while you will see there is a divide, the people who do things for the breed as a whole, and the people who do things for their pocketbooks. These breeders asking $650 although might not seem like a lot, are making money, because they don't invest anything in their breeding dogs (except food), they don't pay for showing, health clearances, obedience classes, proper toys to socialize with, possible obedience shows, agility classes, hunt trials/training...they don't spend anything on their dogs. Please make the $350 dollar investment for your future, and for the future of our breed.

(Or please consider a golden rescue, in the south homeless dogs are desperate to be saved)

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
Hello,
My girlfriend and I are looking to adopt/purchase a golden from a reputable breeder. I acknowledge the fact that premium/top of the line pup are ~1500 and up, unfortunately that is not in our price range. I have found a few breeders in my area I am curious about, but they fail to provide any detailed information about the sires and dams. Long story short, has anyone heard of Al-Bark Kennels? If so or if not, would anyone know of any reasonably price ($600-$800) breeders in the MD, DE, VA, WV area? Thanks so much.
I am not from your area and never heard of that kennel. Just do more research and I'm sure you will be able to narrow your search to a few breeders in your area. I personally would not even consider purchasing a pup without meeting both of the pups parents. Cheapest is not always the best and neither is the most expensive. There are healthy pups out there to be had at a reasonable price. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thank you all so much for the information and replies. Clearly, it seems to be in my best interest NOT to settle for a fly-by-night breeder. will take all of your points into consideration before making a quick pick. We definitely (and had prior to posting) planned on meeting the parents and area where the animals are being raised prior to committing to a waiting list.

We have raised dogs for over 25 years and it is a reasonable estimate that it costs about $1000 per year to properly feed and care for the dog. If you are having problems with the incremental cost of less than $1000 you might best ask yourself if you can afford a dog at this point in your lives. Do you both work?
We are aware of the costs and demands of a puppy as well as the deication of 15 years + required. We both come from families where we were the primary care givers for dogs and cats and our decision on which dog is right for us isnt one we are planning on taking lightly.

So, to further clarify my intentions... the pup will serve the purpose of being a loyal household pet. We have no intentions of showing or hunting w/ him/her. Eventually, dog permitting, we would like to possibly go through the process of allowing it to become a service dog, allowing it to meet elderly/sick at nursing homes.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for breeders in the DC, MD, VA, WV, south eastern PA area?

Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions and ifnormation,
Blake

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Both litter have the same father which they say is shy but sweet. Goldens should not be shy. They say Susie is opinionated what does this mean I wonder. She is also outside standard.

I don't like these goldens are anything to right home about. None have the Wow factor. It says the male golden is ACA but nothing about he females.

I would keep looking.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thank you.
As a fellow Marylander (Marylandian?), I understand that finding a well bred dog in this part of the country is very expensive. But it is amazing how fast you can save up those few extra hundred bucks!

I always recommend contacting The Potomac Valley Golden Retriever Club, as everyone I have spoken with there has been very helpful and friendly when it comes to helping you find a quality local pup. Puppy Referral

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Saving is worth the wait.

While my puppy only cost me $575, I ended up having to spend HUNDREDS more over about 4 months after we brought him home because he was sick a lot.

·
Banned
616 Posts
We got our first show golden from MD, and the breeder who had researched the pedigree completely, every dog in 5+ generations had all four health clearances including the parents of my puppy. Every Dog in the pedigree was either an AM or/and Can Champion. She sold her pet puppies for $1200. She even fed the BARF diet and gave you a decent supply. She did everything by the book, and I have absolutely no complaints. I think being patient is the key. Have you contacted "country Lakes Goldens" they have a full sibling to our first show golden. She has a very small breeding program, but seems to be very reputable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you contacted "country Lakes Goldens" they have a full sibling to our first show golden. She has a very small breeding program, but seems to be very reputable.
I have not, but I have the website up now and I'm going to take a look! Thanks!!

To everyone,
Thank you all so much for your information and support. I have decided that I want to wait and buy a quality pup. Not only for the health benefits, but to help the breed by ensuring quality pups are being adopted AND so i can rest happy knowing my pup will be less likely to develop terminal illnesses further down the road. Again, thanks all for the valuable information!!
-blake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi all,
I took everyone's advice and found a knowledgeable breeder that has pet histories and parents w/ clearances. This is the breeder I've decided on, DND Golden Retrievers. Please let me know what your opinions are! Thanks so much!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts