Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I ask my puppy buyers to do it for 2 reasons-first, to support the AKC. They have some great programs and are active in the fight against breed specific legislation, public education, disaster relief, etc. The second reason is purely selfish ;) In my case, it is the last step to earning my AKC Breeder of Merit designation, which requires that all puppies produced by a breeder be AKC registered.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the cost, i have never had a breeder, bother me about this ,like he has, if she is a pet, and a pet only, i don't see spending moremoney.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
Mainly to support the AKC and what it stands for.

Back when we got our first golden (before we got into competition stuff), the main feeling we had was filling out that registration form and mailing it in was a big part of owning a purebred puppy. Like not only did his parents have papers, but he did too.

In the first year I think it is just $20. You should see it on the registration form in your packet from the breeder.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I remember my father helping me fill out the AKC papers for my first registered dog when I was a young girl. It gave me a powerful sense of ownership and responsibility for the life and well-being of 'my dog'.
For me....there is something special about being forever 'on record' as the person on the planet that took ownership of this particular dog...

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"For me....there is something special about being forever 'on record' as the person on the planet that took ownership of this particular dog..."

Awesome!

I look at the history of the golden (genealogy) and think it is important to have all the puzzle pieces put together for all those golden lovers that come after us.

Each of our goldens have a spot in that history. I am so sorry so many do not participate in registering. So many puzzle pieces missing from the Golden Tree Of Life.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I agree with what everyone else said, plus those of us who are or want to be AKc Breeders of Merit have to have it done with the litters we breed.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So there is something,in it for the breeder, i bought two goldens from a wel known breeder in maine, i have a history with her,she never tried to push me into this, i find it offensive the way ,this breeder is doing this.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
There is a benefit to you. Should something ever happen to her and she gets lost or stolen, if you have her chipped or tattoed and you are on her AKC paperwork as her owner then there is no question of ownership. That's worth the price of registration, IMO.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
...i have never experienced, being ask over ,and over to do this.
Well...he wouldn't be asking over and over if it had been done already. Just sayin'. ;)

Many people would love to be in your shoes in that this breeder seems to care enough to keep up with the dogs he produces and to stay in touch with you. Even if it's over an issue that, for whatever reason, you're having trouble with. Anything that further states and backs up that you're the owner of your dog should be taken advantage of regardless of the price. To me it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well...he wouldn't be asking over and over if it had been done already. Just sayin'. ;)

Many people would love to be in your shoes in that this breeder seems to care enough to keep up with the dogs he produces and to stay in touch with you. Even if it's over an issue that, for whatever reason, you're having trouble with. Anything that further states and backs up that you're the owner of your dog should be taken advantage of regardless of the price. To me it's a no brainer.
Well, thank you, you are so nice, .

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Is there a reason you don't want to? If it's that important to the breeder I would just do it, personally. It's not a long process, you just send in a form.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I dont know why I registered Gracie. If she gets lost she has a tag, microchipped, and licensed through the county. Plus AKC send us allot of junk mail asking us to buy publications.

·
Kate
21,682 Posts
The registration only costs $20.

I bought a $16 toy for my guy a couple weeks ago. I knew it was doomed, but he picked it out and WANTED it. I just hoped the toy would last a day (it didn't). That was $16 I spent on a toy that was shredded within 6 hours.

You spend that $20, and that's going to last your dog's lifetime.

It comes down to a piece of paper with your dog's official name and registration # on it.

Our Charmy's paper was kept in a filing cabinet during his life. It's now in his keep safe box with his lock of hair, collar, pawprints, and favorite pictures.

To add to what I said previously, I feel that if you believe in the purchase of purebred dogs, if you support only breeding purebred dogs, if you think the perfect dog is a properly bred purebred dog...

and I'm assuming you do, since you purchased a purebred golden with papers from a legitimate breeder instead of buying a redheaded dog from down the road

.... you would support the AKC with that $20 and more than that making that gesture of support or statement in registering your golden.

If you don't want junkmail from AKC, you need to check the box when you register.

When you go that extra step to register you dog, this means that when the AKC does their top 10 list of dogs or whatever based on registrations, they are counting your dog. ;)

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Honestly, I think it's important to support the organization that is fighting for our right to own the breed we love. Maybe everyone doesn't realize it, but the right to own a purebred dog is being fought by the AR activists with mandatory spay/neuter laws and by making it financially impossible for reputable breeders to maintain their breeding program. So it's worth it to pay the small amount of money to support the organization that is fighting for our right to own our dogs and our future dogs.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, not the cost, there is nice ways to ask, and i don't feel NICE from him, confused as to why , he is pushing this.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
For all the reasons stated above. He may want to become an AKC Breeder of Merit, it benefits you should someone challenge your ownership of Cambridge, it supports the organization that is fighting for your right to own Cambridge and any future goldens you may buy, etc etc

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I personally don't think the AKC is supporting the integrity of the breed. Just because a dog has the papers doesn't mean it 's a well bred dog. All they are saying is that it's a purebred dog. Danny was turned into the shelter our rescue pulled him from with his AKC papers. His dog coordinator asked me if I wanted them. I had no reason to want them, he isn't going to be shown and he's neutered.

I also had a female puppy that I fostered that was turned into the rescue with her AKC papers. There was no way in heck she was a purebred. If I had seen her in a shelter, I wouldn't have guessed she had ANY golden retriever in her. But she had papers!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts