Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I look at breeders listed on the AKC site, are these breeders vetted by AKC in anyway? Is there such a thing as an AKC vetted breeder?

If not, it there a site to go to to find reputable breeders in Texas surrounding states (New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana)

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
AKC does not vet breeders. Large breeders have kennel checks done. Your best bet is to contact clubs or find a breeder and post here so we can verify.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would look more to GRCA (Golden Retriever Club of America) for quality Golden breeders. The AKC is more of a registry. I don’t recommend AKC Marketplace unless you know what your looking at or have someone that does verify info.

·
Registered
994 Posts
When I look at breeders listed on the AKC site, are these breeders vetted by AKC in anyway? Is there such a thing as an AKC vetted breeder?

If not, it there a site to go to to find reputable breeders in Texas surrounding states (New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana)
The short version is, "no, there's not a site/list that can be reliably depended upon as a definitive statement on breeders".

Your "best bet" is to become knowledgeable about what makes for a well-bred golden litter and not rely on any list as a definitive statement. Our local GRCA chapter no longer provides a list of breeders, because the focus is really on the litter, although good breeders increases the likelihood of well-bred litters. Also, lists can "go stale".

If your next question is "and, how do I do that?", I'd start with the GRCA Code of Ethics. It has a section for expectations of potential owners, and another for breeders. The focus for GRCA Code of Ethics is OFA hip and elbow clearances, a cardiac clearance performed by a cardiologist, and eye clearances. Of these, the hip and elbow can only be obtained after a dog is 2-years old, so that has implications on breeding age. Only the eye clearances are annual.

If you read through this forum, and ask questions, you will also find that many add some specific DNA tests to the list. You would do best to ask others on this forum, more knowledgeable about the topic, about these additional tests.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts