Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recall how long it takes to get AKC papers?

We purchased our pup from a breeder on November 9 and haven't received papers yet. Is this unusually long or should I try to be more patient?

Kris

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the registered name of the mom, only the Dad's call name. The breeder filled out all the info right there and said we would received the papers in the mail from AKC. He said at that time we could then send in something like a transfer of title with Duff's registered name, since we had not chosen one at the time of purchase.

??

Kris

·
The Truth Is Out There
258 Posts
I didn't get mine straight away but that was only because the KC mistook all the M's for N's on the documents and they had to be sent back.

Sorry I can't realy help.

·
16,000 Posts
I have the registered name of the mom, only the Dad's call name. The breeder filled out all the info right there and said we would received the papers in the mail from AKC. He said at that time we could then send in something like a transfer of title with Duff's registered name, since we had not chosen one at the time of purchase.

??

Kris

Hmmm... Here's how it works - a litter is registered, and the AKC issues individual registration slips for the corresponding number/sex of pups in the litter. The breeder signs each slip over to the new owner/s, who fill in the name they choose and send it with the appropriate fee to the AKC, who then issues a registration for the dog with it's name, number, sire and dam's name and number, and names of owners/co-owners.

Some breeders will actually complete this for the purchaser, but this doesn't sound like the case here... It sounds like the breeder was just registereing the litter, possibly, but it still sounds odd...

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
My GSD's breeder screwed me over. And I have both parents registered names and numbers, and proof that their previous litter was registered. I have reported her to AKC, Rip-Off Report, and in the German Shepherd community. What a loser! At least I got a great dog. I think I can possibly register him since I have the parents' information.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, its all straightened out. I called AKC and they checked and said the litter was registered and the papers sent to the breeder. So I called the breeder and he said yes he did receive them and was in the process of mailing them out. I don't know why the delay in mailing, but anyway, he was able to give me a pin # and I can now just register Duffy online.

Kris

·
Registered
10,488 Posts

??

Kris
I agree with PG-I am not sure what paperwork he was filling out, unless it was the litter registration, but that is generally done much sooner. You can't individually register a dog without a name, unless he named it and figured you could change it later. The AKC does allow this under certain circumstances.

If it was the litter registration, it could take a while, unless it was done online, which is faster. The breeder would have to send the paperwork in to register the litter. AKC would then send back the individual registration forms, which the breeder would then have to send to you.

Are you sure the registering body was AKC, and not one of the other registries?

I would just contact the breeder and ask him about the paperwork.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
Well, its all straightened out. I called AKC and they checked and said the litter was registered and the papers sent to the breeder. So I called the breeder and he said yes he did receive them and was in the process of mailing them out. I don't know why the delay in mailing, but anyway, he was able to give me a pin # and I can now just register Duffy online.

Kris
Oh good-and the online registration is much faster.

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
My GSD's breeder screwed me over. And I have both parents registered names and numbers, and proof that their previous litter was registered. I have reported her to AKC, Rip-Off Report, and in the German Shepherd community. What a loser! At least I got a great dog. I think I can possibly register him since I have the parents' information.
You won't be able to register him - but you could ILP/PAL him. You'd need to take pictures and send in whatever documentation you have that proves he's a purebred GSD along with a proof of neuter.

Erica

1 - 12 of 12 Posts