Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to registering Bonnie. I was wondering if the 30 day insurance that you get from registering under a certain tier is only for emergency things. Like can I use it towards her spay?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It seems to me there are many knowledgeable people here, so I`d like to ask a few questions about pet insurances. Is pet insurance the best way of paying for pet treatment, what do you think? And did you use additional web services like Petinsurancefinder that rate, review and compare different pet insurances when you were choosing insurance for your pet? Share your experience, please

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
There have been a bunch of helpful discussions concerning insurance on the Forum. Would suggest you do a Forum search for "Pet Insurance." I think you will find a lot of helpful information already exists.

Here is a relatively recent thread with some good information:

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
It seems to me there are many knowledgeable people here, so I`d like to ask a few questions about pet insurances. Is pet insurance the best way of paying for pet treatment, what do you think? And did you use additional web services like Petinsurancefinder that rate, review and compare different pet insurances when you were choosing insurance for your pet? Share your experience, please
Insurance is pretty expensive, but in some cases not having it is even more expensive. My last dog wasn't insured, and the cost of her treatment (for cancer) in the last two weeks of her life was about the same as the cost of insurance premiums would have been. She was 8 years old when she died, and had a form of cancer for which no viable treatment was available. If she'd had a different form of the disease that could have been treated, the cost would have been into five figures and I would not have been able to afford it. My current Golden is therefore insured. However, I've opted to keep premiums down by having a large deductible, so the coverage is good only for catastrophic illnesses such as cancer, or for major injuries such as intestinal blockages or ACL tears.

It's important to realize that insurance does not cover regular vet exams, vaccines, spaying, etc. It only covers things that go wrong. It's comparable in many respects to car insurance, which doesn't cover regular maintenance but does cover accidents. Some policies cover dental treatment, but the premiums tend to be very high. Some policies have maximum annual amounts. Some apply the deductible to every claim, others apply it to every "incident". I chose a policy that applies the deductible to each "incident" instead of to each claim, does not have an annual maximum, and covers 90% of the costs over and above the deductible. In other words, if my dog is diagnosed with cancer, I pay the first invoices up to the amount of the deductible, then the insurance company takes over and covers 90% of the remaining cost of treating the disease, however much it may be.

I'm finding, over time, that the company is increasing the premium quite significantly each year. I have never yet made a claim (my dog is 4 years old). If the increase is the same this year as it was last year (about 20%), it will take the cost beyond the level I feel is reasonable and I might have to reconsider or look for an alternative.

It's a difficult problem, especially for Goldens, which are prone to early cancer.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
I use Trupanion, as Ceegee mentioned for catastrophic coverage. I have a $1000 deductible which keeps premiums down. Premiums haven't gone up much in the last three years.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I use Trupanion, as Ceegee mentioned for catastrophic coverage. I have a $1000 deductible which keeps premiums down. Premiums haven't gone up much in the last three years.
I'm also with Trupanion, with the same $1000 deductible. However, my premium increased by 20% last year and I'm holding my breath for this year's policy anniversary, which is coming up in the next few weeks. We don't have as much choice in Canada as you have in the US. Trupanion was the standout company for me, and I don't really know what I'll do if I have to change companies.

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
I'm also with Trupanion and as much as I like them, the rate increases every year have been a bit crazy. I pay $85 a month now (my dog is 6). I HAVE made a few emergency and major illness claims, and they do cover all of her meds and supplements for her elbow dysplasia (which are pretty expensive), but it's still really expensive. (Also in Canada and in downtown Toronto where my vet rates are also high, which affects insurance rates).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts