Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just joined the forum and this is my first post. I’ve had 3 Goldens, but my last one died recently from cancer. It’s the first time in 30 years I do not have a dog, and I am eager to get a Golden pup. There seem to be so many reputable breeders, but I have narrowed it down to 4 (3 in Wisconsin and 1 in Minnesota, where I got my first 3). Only one of the 4 breeders is an AKC Breeder of Merit, but I don’t know how much weight that carries. The Minnesota breeder has wonderful dogs, but doesn’t appear on the AKC website’s puppy finder list. The one that is an AKC BOM has four kennels run by family members in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Montana, which produce roughly 20 litters a year altogether. That seems like a lot. I’ve met a few of their dogs at my local dog park and they are beautiful. Another breeder in Wisconsin is clearly very careful about who they allow to adopt one of their pups—a good sign, right? But again, no AKC acknowledgement. Does this matter at all?? This could be my last dog, so I want to make sure I get one from a great breeder. It’s so confusing to me. I’d appreciate any advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
BoM isn't so much awarded as it is applied for. The first couple rounds of BoM breeders were awarded, but after that, it is up to the breeder to send in an application.

·
Puddles
3,824 Posts
It now is a program they pay to be a part of so they can put it on their site. It's a shame too as I didn't realize this when I got my pup 4 yrs ago. It took me 4 months of bi-weekly vet visits to get my pup healthy, she also has a genetic eye disease even though I was presented with "normal" eye exams. As it turned out she was BoM for 3 different breeds under different kennel names. Very expensive learning lesson. Please evaluate your breeder on more important criteria than a Breeder of Merit tag on their site.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
AKC Breeder of Merit is just another way the AKC has turned itself into Craigslist as far as credibility on selecting a breeder. Look for a breeder who follows that breed's code of ethics for breeders.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Originally, like the first three months or so BoM was in effect, invites were sent. We got one. We did it. Now if you want to go to a higher level BoM- which I did so I could get free pedigrees every month (so to me it is a value received to the database, not that I personally need a higher BoM certification) - it costs money. I dk if they actually check the clearances or not on the dogs one puts on one's application, but I am sure they do check the titles that qualify you for your status with the BoM program.

·
Registered
12,719 Posts
Way more important than the Breeder of Merit title is whether the dogs have their four core clearances and DNA testing. If you're not sure how to check that, you can post the registered names of the prospective parents of each litter and people here can check for you. A good breeder will make all that information easy and accessible on their website (OFA hip, elbow, heart and eyes). But if their site isn't updated (not necessarily a bad sign - just a sign of someone being busy), it is all verifiable on the OFA site.

·
Registered
816 Posts
To be fair I think that Breeder of Merit can be beneficial to people that don't know anything about buying from a reputable breeder. I use to look for Breeder of Merit and CHIC qualified when doing research. I also would pay attention to things like Outstanding Sire awards. I don't think that looking for those things or achieving them should be taken lightly. I just don't believe that seeing that on a website should supersede checking clearances on the dogs being bred. I put absolutely no stock in a breeder appearing on AKC Marketplace. I appreciate the fact that AKC maintains the register and titles, etc. I just feel like for new puppy buyers they tend to put to much stock in AKC Registration. It is a register it does not certify health or the fact that the breeder is ethical.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you to everyone for your kind responses to my question. The breeders in question do provide the health clearance information for their breeding dogs, but I may try and get verification from the helpful people on this site.

The breeders I am considering are: Rolling Oaks Goldens in Litchfield, MN; Strike Goldens in Hayward, WI (a hobby breeder of English Creams); Dichi Goldens in central WI—I have found some positive comments about Dichi in one of the threads here, and they post a code of ethics on their website that indicates they take their responsibilities very seriously; and Harvestime Kennel in Menasha (and Minneapolis, Bozeman, MT, and another Wisconsin location). I’ve met a few Harvestime Goldens at my local dog park—beautiful dogs. They do around 20 breedings per year altogether, which makes me a little nervous.

Does anyone here know about one or more of these breeders? I’d appreciate your feedback if it’s not too much trouble. Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,764 Posts
Here is a list of MW Breeders that may be helpful for you-

Dichi Goldens is on this list, there used to be several active members with Dichi Goldens.
If you do a search for Dichi Goldens, several threads will come up you can read through.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Whoever you go with, check the breeding pair or post the reg names here and someone will do it for you. Strike Goldens, they do not post who are the parents and there are too many to go thru all of them. Will say they are priced at top of the market so I would hope they do have at a bare minimum the core 4 clearances as well as ICT and NCL testing on both of the pair they've bred. Dichi is well-thought of. HarvestTime has too many girls for me to scroll to Tulsa's page to see if this is her: https://www.ofa.org/advanced-search?quicksearch=SS00018203 but if it is that litter has all core 4 clearances, and even though there are a great number of puppies, I haven't ever searched out a litter there that lacked correct clearances so I feel they are generally a safe bet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The thing we all look for is proof the parents have been health certifications, to minimize the continuation of genetic diseases. Without this, I would not look at a breeder! Many breeders specialize by breeding dogs whose parents have proven performance titles, Field Titles, Confirmation titles, Obedience Titles etc.. These dogs usually cost more than other breeders, if you do not want a dog for titles/ performance look for a breeder that doesn't specialize. Good Luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't hold much stock in the Breeder of Merit nor the AKC Marketplace advertising as both are just paid for by the breeder. I had an invite when it first started but just didn't do the BOM and now when I see what most breeders that tout BOM or Bred with Heart I just cringe to see what they truly have and are. Now many of those one this site that respond that are BOM I would most likley buy from as I know they have ethics and abide by the GRCA Code of Ethics in regards to their breeding practices. The AKC Marketplace to me is a huge joke. It could have been a great place for buyers to find wonderful puppies for their families, but AKC does not screen the info that is placed in those ads and so many will tout they have the health screenings as per their breeds National Club when indeed they don't. Most are easy to see if you know what to look for and AKC surely can do the same as the certifications follow the mom and dads registration numbers when they are listed on their AKC Regsitration Certificates as well as in the ads on the Marketplace. I also feel that Good Breeder also missed the boat in providing a great service to the puppy buyers as so many breeders listed there also are very lacking in clearances as well health and quality. JMHO of course :)

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Good Dog- I spent (seriously) hours on the phone w Sam from GD and her buds, and tried to explain to them my perspective on clearances and also on listing sire and dam registered names... ANd that they were listing people as GRCA members who were NOT GRCA members. I gave them the list of those people who'd lied, and they did at least take that down on those breeders but ultimately I felt after hours invested that they were more about encouraging people to do better than insisting they did right to be listed. The silver, gold, platinum programs were partially as a result of those convos, but to my mind they are still just making money for Good Dog and Good Dog isn't doing the best they can do for the various breeds.
Marketplace, we have the ability to remove GRCA affiliations that are not true there- just report to the gRCA watchdogs.

·
Super Moderator
949 Posts
Good Dog- I spent (seriously) hours on the phone w Sam from GD and her buds, and tried to explain to them my perspective on clearances and also on listing sire and dam registered names... ANd that they were listing people as GRCA members who were NOT GRCA members. I gave them the list of those people who'd lied, and they did at least take that down on those breeders but ultimately I felt after hours invested that they were more about encouraging people to do better than insisting they did right to be listed. The silver, gold, platinum programs were partially as a result of those convos, but to my mind they are still just making money for Good Dog and Good Dog isn't doing the best they can do for the various breeds.
Marketplace, we have the ability to remove GRCA affiliations that are not true there- just report to the gRCA watchdogs.
To my knowledge Good Dog still recommends breeders that do not adhere to the CoE, by using "Good" or "Excellent" to identify breeders. Some of the breeders with the "good" designation do not use OFA for anything yet are still qualified as "good". I get the feeling they take the breeder's word for it and give them those designations which falsely places them in the categories of really excellent breeders that are also on good dog and actually DO adhere to the CoE.

EDIT: I just found a golden breeder on good dog, with the good dog "badge" for responsible breeding, yet absolutely no mention of OFA of health clearances.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You are so right Emmden. There are breeders listed there in my state and they have no OFA certifications, just say they will be coming in June 2020 and they had litters for sale and have been breeding for years. Also another is listed as Excellent and her dogs she is posting as the parents are not even 2 years of age yet and have not been bred as far as I can tell, so obviously no OFA certifications. Makes one wonder how the Excellent and Good ratings are given out as far as criteria because I truly cannot see how in these two cases. I saw they tack on an extra 6 to 10 % fee to the puppy buyers who go through their site. I was wondering how they were able to sustain themselves if they didn't charge the breeders a fee to list with their site and then found this fee they were charging buyers of puppies from the breeders listed on their site. Makes me very uncomfortable, but so hard not to think about joining (I won't) in order to have a level playing field with these types of breeders that are listed on their site. I've actually had someone ask if since I wasn't listed there am I not an ethical breeder????? I was pretty surprised, but I'm sure most buyers probably feel the Good Dog and AKC Marketplace sites are the places to go to get the best dogs. Very sad.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is a list of MW Breeders that may be helpful for you-

Dichi Goldens is on this list, there used to be several active members with Dichi Goldens.
If you do a search for Dichi Goldens, several threads will come up you can read through.
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't hold much stock in the Breeder of Merit nor the AKC Marketplace advertising as both are just paid for by the breeder. I had an invite when it first started but just didn't do the BOM and now when I see what most breeders that tout BOM or Bred with Heart I just cringe to see what they truly have and are. Now many of those one this site that respond that are BOM I would most likley buy from as I know they have ethics and abide by the GRCA Code of Ethics in regards to their breeding practices. The AKC Marketplace to me is a huge joke. It could have been a great place for buyers to find wonderful puppies for their families, but AKC does not screen the info that is placed in those ads and so many will tout they have the health screenings as per their breeds National Club when indeed they don't. Most are easy to see if you know what to look for and AKC surely can do the same as the certifications follow the mom and dads registration numbers when they are listed on their AKC Regsitration Certificates as well as in the ads on the Marketplace. I also feel that Good Breeder also missed the boat in providing a great service to the puppy buyers as so many breeders listed there also are very lacking in clearances as well health and quality. JMHO of course :)
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are so right Emmden. There are breeders listed there in my state and they have no OFA certifications, just say they will be coming in June 2020 and they had litters for sale and have been breeding for years. Also another is listed as Excellent and her dogs she is posting as the parents are not even 2 years of age yet and have not been bred as far as I can tell, so obviously no OFA certifications. Makes one wonder how the Excellent and Good ratings are given out as far as criteria because I truly cannot see how in these two cases. I saw they tack on an extra 6 to 10 % fee to the puppy buyers who go through their site. I was wondering how they were able to sustain themselves if they didn't charge the breeders a fee to list with their site and then found this fee they were charging buyers of puppies from the breeders listed on their site. Makes me very uncomfortable, but so hard not to think about joining (I won't) in order to have a level playing field with these types of breeders that are listed on their site. I've actually had someone ask if since I wasn't listed there am I not an ethical breeder????? I was pretty surprised, but I'm sure most buyers probably feel the Good Dog and AKC Marketplace sites are the places to go to get the best dogs. Very sad.
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts