Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a bit picture crazy with the new puppy, and even though I posted yesterday about Ajax's first swim, I thought I'd share a little video I made from photos of Ajax's second attempt at swimming. My favorite moment is when he realizes he's too deep, backs up a little, and looks over at me like, "where did the bottom go?"

On a non-dog note, after the swim and hike, we went over to the salt marshes and watched Ospreys. I got a couple of cool pictures of them, including some of them fighting for territory and fishing, I wanted to share. I know they're not puppies, but it was a puppy outing and I didn't feel like creating a whole other thread for it.

As always, there are more pictures and more detail at tippykayak.com.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Salt Marshes....magical lil eco-systems, aren't they?

Loved the music with Ajax's (Ajaxs', Ajaxs???, lol) adventure. He is looking to you for advice in the last pic:)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Salt Marshes....magical lil eco-systems, aren't they?

Loved the music with Ajax's (Ajaxs', Ajaxs???, lol) adventure. He is looking to you for advice in the last pic:)
Ha! The grammar thread has everybody a little skittish. And the salt marsh is soooo cool.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Ajax is so CUTE...looks like he is getting that swimming figured out! :D Beautiful pictures of the Osprey's.....I didn't realize they were so large a bird!;)

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Cute video. They crack me up shen learning how to swim. Those pictures of the ospreys are stunning. I really miss living in Beaufort because we would see so many of them and they would ruin our fishing taking the fish right out of the waters in front of us but we really didnt mind. And even saw a bald eagle doing the same thing. It looks like you have the same great places.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Wait, what?
That's the same song on the iphone commercial! ;) I felt the same way when I heard the music!

Your pictures are great though! I can't wait for Leo to learn to swim!!!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the same song on the iphone commercial! ;) I felt the same way when I heard the music!

Your pictures are great though! I can't wait for Leo to learn to swim!!!
Ohhh...I thought it was the Macbook Air commercial. That's why I was confused.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Maybe they used it for both?? I do know for sure it was an Apple/Mac commercial LOL! Now I am confused! Off to youtube I go a-searchin'!! ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
So cute Tippykayak! Any tips on introducing pups to swimming? Biscuit is almost 9 months old....we're a little late, but better late than never! :) Just wondering what's the best way to get them going...thanks!

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So cute Tippykayak! Any tips on introducing pups to swimming? Biscuit is almost 9 months old....we're a little late, but better late than never! :) Just wondering what's the best way to get them going...thanks!
Bring them to a lake with a sloping shore so it's not all or nothing. Let them play at the edge until they're comfortable with the whole idea. You can throw short fetches a few feet into the water so they can splash out and grab them without having to actually swim. If you have (or can borrow) a grown up waterdog, that helps a lot, since the little one will naturally want to go out and play with the big dog.

You can also get in the water yourself and play further and further out, slowly. Don't coax or drag the pup, just have a ton of fun and let him come to you naturally. Most of them will try a swim at some point in this process, and once they realize how fun it is, you're all set. Be aware that once they're actually swimming and they come to you, you can get scratched up by the front paws pretty good if you're not careful.

Be aware that if you teach a GR to fetch in the water, you may have trouble keeping him out of all bodies of water from that point forward. It's a pretty deep-seated love of water in lots of GRs. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
It's true about the accidental scratching. I have battle scars from swimming with Raleigh,lol.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks Tippykayak! Funny, we just saw "Marley & Me" this past weekend and I laughed at how Marley loved the water so much he jumped right into the pool during the open house! So to your point, once they're in, they're in for good! ;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Ahhh, Ajax! You are so Cute! Keep the Pic's n Vid's coming, Please! Love you sight too! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts