Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have to lay off a bunch of people this week. I can't sleep and I have been throwing up. I hate it, I hate it. I have had to do it before and the impact on people's lives drives me crazy and makes me ill. And the older I get the less I can tolerate it.

But our sales are abysmal and our people are idled. I am angry and bereft. Please know that if you are ever on the other side of the table and get laid off, most surely someone is very sad.

And to that handful of you that didn't think this recession could ever hit you because you are so important, please realize that your insufferable attitude moved you up on the list.

Please, let's not talk about the why, everyone has a different opinion. It just is what it is and I hope it ends soon.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'm sorry.. thats a crappy situation for you and the people who will be losing their jobs.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I am sorry that you have been forced into this position, and sorry for those about to lose their jobs. I can't begin to imagine how painful this must be for all involved.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It is sad on both sides of the table. I am sorry that you have to go through something so difficult.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I pray for comfort in telling them. I am sure that they know how much it hurts you to do this. When my hubby was laid off his boss was almost crying while telling Tim. Hopefully this will start to turn around and everyone can get back working.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, especially Carol because I know Tim has gone through this recently on the other side of the table.

Both DH and I worked for companies that went out of business, this was in late 80's, and I remember being totally freaked. But we both got jobs and things worked out. (we had three little kids.) It seemed insurmountable, but things did end up changing for the better.

And if ultimately I am let go, too, I think I'd be a great dog walker. :)

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
It's bad enough to lose our jobs due to downsizing right now, I know my position is on shaky grounds, but we found out today that several of our people are losing their jobs next month because they are moving the positions to the Philippines.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and your workers. It must be so painful on both ends.
I hope they find other positions soon and I hope you get peace somehow. A golden snuggle will make you feel better.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
Marcy, I'm sorry you have to be the bearer of bad news; it is gut wrenching. A friend of mine is a manager here at my company and we went through some layoffs a few months back. She had to tell some of her teammates that their jobs were eliminated and being the feeler that she is, it upset her very much, she wound up crying along with her employees....because she cares. So later that day, she passes the office of another manager who is sitting at his desk, feet propped up, happy go lucky aura, basically doing nothing...apparently as usual. As she walks by, he says, Hey Angie, how's it going? (in a very chipper voice). She wipes her tears away and says, Not so good, I had to let some of my employees go today. He says, yeah, me too, oh well, at least I still have my job. And resumes doing nothing. My friend wanted to spit in his face because he's so disgraceful and unattuned to the whole situation.

My point is, you are a good person and understand the impact this is having on your employees lives. The situation is out of your hands, but your compassionate is key. As they say "Don't be THAT guy", I previously described.

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
I know what you are going through. My husband has been FIGHTING to keep all of his guys, and his boss is really pushing him to lay off one of them. Unfortunately, this guy is a friend of his who just recently came to the company.
THey are proposing a 5-hour cut in workforce to keep EVERYONE working, rather than losing one person.
So far, everyone seems to go for it, but he worries EVERY night. I know it's affecting his health, and now I worry every night.
Doggie kisses help, though, and I SWEAR they are sensitive to our feelings and react accordingly. Simon has been at his feet for the entire week!
So sorry you are going through this--hugs!

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Not an easy thing by any definition, and as mentioned before, your compassion will be valued and remembered. Hang in there, management sucks sometimes:(

·
3 goldens
11,810 Posts
It's bad enough to lose our jobs due to downsizing right now, I know my position is on shaky grounds, but we found out today that several of our people are losing their jobs next month because they are moving the positions to the Philippines.
THIS IS KILLING AMERICA. MY ONE BROTHER, HIS GIRL FRIEND AND HIS DIL ALL LOST JOBS WHEN THE COMPANIES THEY WORKED FOR MOVED OUT OF COUNTRY--HIS TO TAIWAN, ONE TO INDIA AND THE OTHER TO CHINA. GOT A E-MAIL FROM CYBER FRIEND THE OTHER--HER HUSBND JUST LOST HIS JOB WITH A PRINTING COMPANY--IT IS MOVING TO JAPAN

tHERE USE TO BE A HUGE HAGGAR SLACKS PLANT AT ROBSTOWN, JUST OUT OF COPRUS THAT EMPLOYED SEVERAL HUNDRED WORKERS. IT SHUT DOWN AND MOVED TO MEXICO. THE TRUCKS THAT BRING THE MEXICAN MADE SLACKS GO RIGHT THRU ROBSTOWN NOW ON THEIR WAY NORTH, ADDING INSULT TO INJURY

THE ONLY WAY TO STOP THIS CRAP (AT LEAST AS I SEE IT) IS TO PUT A SKY HIGH IMPORT TARIFF ON ON THIS STUFF THAT THE COMPANIES WOULD BE BETTER OFF STAYING HERE IN AMERICA.

HUBBY HAS BEEN HOME AS MUCH IN THE FIRST 2 MONTHS OF THIS YEAR AS HE NORMALLY IS IN THE FIRST 4 OR 5 MONTHS. BUSINESS IS SO SLOW AND THANK GOODNESS FOR A SMALL SAVINGS, WHICH WE AR HAVING TO DIP INTO ESPECIALLY WITH MY MEDICAL BILLS AND THE RUN-AROUND WE AR GETTING FROM INSURANCE. hE JUST TALKED TO ANOTHER DRIVER THIS MORNING AND THIS GUY HAS SAT AT HOME ALL WEEK ALSO. A COUPLE OF THE GUYSHAVE QUIT, BUT AS HUBBY AND D SAID, WHERE THE HECK DO THEY THINK THEY ARE GOING TO FIND ANOTHER JOB. SEEMS EVERYONE IS IDLE OR LAYINGOFF. AT LEAST NOBODY IS GETTING LAID OFF WHERE HUBBY WORKS, BUT THEY SURE AREN'T MAKING MUCH MONEY EITHER.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts