Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Ah - the joys of owning a dog - up at 3 AM

875 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  njb 
#1 ·
Our bedroom is a loft over looking a large family room. Tabitha and Magic sleep in the family room and we are able to monitor what's going on with them. Although we still have our crate set up, it's mainly because Fuzz the Wonder Cat likes to sleep on top of it, so the dogs are free to roam.

Anyway, at 3AM I hear the wonderous sounds of a dog heaving. I rush down to find Tabitha having a bit of a sick spell - a couple of small piles of vomit on the oriental rug. I get the dogs outside and proceed to clean up the mess. That's when I realize the larger of the two piles is what's left of one of mblonde's ankle socks! Nice job, Tabitha - you ate a friggin' sock. The good news is - Tabitha threw it up! The bad news is - here I sit at 4:06 AM typing in this slice of my dog life instead of peacefully sleeping in a warm bed!

#3 ·
Did you calculate daylight savings? I'm sitting here working on my computer, wondering why it's an hour off.....ready to start yelling at kids for messing with my clock....and it just hit me that we were supposed to go back an hour....

#6 ·
I think that goldens have relatively tempermental stomachs. I know that Jenna and Brandy sometimes will vomit without having eaten anything unusual, and Reyna was the same way. Not often, just once in a while. Anyone else have this happen?

#7 ·
Brandy's Mom said:
I think that goldens have relatively tempermental stomachs. I know that Jenna and Brandy sometimes will vomit without having eaten anything unusual, and Reyna was the same way. Not often, just once in a while. Anyone else have this happen?
Do you think goldens have tempermental stomachs, or is it because they eat all sorts of crap? lol Our first dog (a lab mix) ate anything and everything. If it was on the floor, she was going to eat it. She'd throw up once in a while, too. I was actually surprised that she didn't do it more often, given the things (chalk, crayons, play-doh, tissues, peat moss...) that she'd swallow.

#10 ·
RickGibbs said:
:lol: Not much... My two sons and I got stuck on Youtube.... Talk about addictive....

OMG look at the Big Butter Jesus one on youtube. I'm getting ready to check it out for the first time. That statue is 5 minutes from me and Bob and Tom have a song on every now and then that refers to this statue.

#11 ·
Yeah, Shadow will throw up if I haven't fed him for a long time -- 12+ hours and he usually heaves up a big pile of bile (lovely, I know). It never seems to affect him though, as I immediately pour him a bowl of food and he attacks it just like normal.

Other than that, he vomits very rarely. But again, not a Golden :)

#12 ·
Dilligas said:
Yeah, Shadow will throw up if I haven't fed him for a long time -- 12+ hours and he usually heaves up a big pile of bile (lovely, I know). It never seems to affect him though, as I immediately pour him a bowl of food and he attacks it just like normal.

Other than that, he vomits very rarely. But again, not a Golden :)
Lucky does that. If he refuses to eat his food (because its new, different or he just hates it), I've learned its not a good thing to harden the heart and assume he will eat when he's hungry. He won't eat and he'll throwup bile.

So, he got rewarded with chicken and rice the last time he did this.

Goldencrazy, I'm glad she threw up the sock. I've heard they can get stuck. When Lucky throws up an object, its usually something that most likely would have trouble getting through. Quite a bit can go through though...

#13 ·
LaurJen said:
Do you think goldens have tempermental stomachs, or is it because they eat all sorts of crap? lol Our first dog (a lab mix) ate anything and everything. If it was on the floor, she was going to eat it. She'd throw up once in a while, too. I was actually surprised that she didn't do it more often, given the things (chalk, crayons, play-doh, tissues, peat moss...) that she'd swallow.
My brother-in-law's dog is a mix with some retriever in it and he's eaten shoes, lightbulbs and shotgun shells. My in-laws are really good dog people, so don't hold it against them; Jackson (the dog) is just not the brightest (but the best dog!).

#15 ·
my pups are like that too socks everything... once i gave my dad some money(a note £5(uk)) and he just put on the arm of the sofa and the next time he looks its gone... wen investigating the garden the next day we find a pooy note...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.