Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 9 month old golden has frequent frapping episodes, especially when we take him swimming. He sprints back and forth, but also lunges at us while growling and biting. It seems aggressive, but it's hard to tell whether it's play or not. We are having trouble controlling and stopping this behavior. Any advice?

Thank you!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Sounds like the zoomies to me and it's very common when they are excited and want to play. Is he off leash when this happens?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Our Tucker is now a year old, and he gets EXTREMELY crazy outside if we don't know the signal to tone down the play. Since we've now learned his "signs" we know to put him in a quick sit/down/stay with a quick train/treat before he gets out of control. Just in case he does, though, we keep a drag line on him at all times when he's out in our yard (invisible fence) because it is MUCH easier to settle him when we have a line to hold onto instead of trying to wrestle him off of us, which only gets him MORE excited. Your pup sounds alot like our Tucker! Ever since he's been a pup, if we get in the way of his zoomies, his mouth tends to become part of the fun. Yuck. We've learned that it's all in play - as Tucker is growing, we see so much more of his gentle side - even when out in the yard. It does get better! :wave:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He is usually on leash when he does this. It can be fun, but he really starts to snarl and bite us if he gets overly excited. He has made me bleed multiple times, and it is very hard to just get out of the way.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
If he's getting out of control, you need to have him sit. Work on his sit command when he's not excited until he is spot on when you say it. That will help break the manic biting at you.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
It just sounds like zoomies to me, they definitely can get out of control! Crazy pups! Maybe if you are really worried about it you could post a video?

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
He's not being aggressive, he's over-excited and possibly over-tired. Just have him sit, ignore him, he'll settle. There will come a time when you'll miss these days.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Yes, it is fun at first; however, when he becomes aggressive and starts growling and biting us it is not as cute.
I was going to say the same thing. It's one thing to go zooming around. It's another when the dog is jumping, biting, and body slamming. (They are capable of not slamming into you when they are zooming around.) When our dog gets like this, we put him into a sit or a down. It can take a second or two to get him there, but he knows that the game is up. Particularly in a down position. I'm not talking about an alpha roll or whatever, but stepping on the leash so he's down. Then he stays there until he stops panting and his eyes stop bugging out. And then a little bit more. It's a little bit after he looks calm that he really is calm. For example, Casper is able to sit quietly as people walk by. But in his head he's all excited and wants to greet them. Sometimes, the second I release him he starts jumping at me. That means I released him too soon.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Yes, it is fun at first; however, when he becomes aggressive and starts growling and biting us it is not as cute.
Agreed! No one wants to be hurt by their dog, even if they are trying to play. I'm not sure how to best proceed. Is there anything that calms him down? Maybe getting his attention on something else, like a game or a command?

Do you have a video of this behavior? I'm sure people could give better advice if we could see what you are dealing with. I hope you find a solution!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Puppy zoomies. Yay!!! I loved them, but unfortunately as your dog grows up they will go away ... :uhoh: And let me assure all these growling and biting have nothing to do with an aggressiveness at all. That's the way the dogs play with each other and if you didn't teach him otherwise, he'll play the same way with you. Also getting crazy after swimming are well known "behavior" of the Goldens. Do not try to stop it - use it! Throw the items for him to retrieve or better yet, if there is another dog he can play with, they will zoom with each other. I would discourage you though trying to run and play with a pup when he zooms as being overexcited he could bite you really hard. As I said it's not aggressive biting by any means, but still hurts.
Enjoy the fluffy ball of energy you have!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've already posted once, but I'll post again. I agree with everything here. Zoomies ARE fun, but the mouthiness that comes with it at times is NOT. We are constantly working with this and our Tucker, as he's had a tendancy to be quite rough with us in his excitement since puppyhood, and we have three young kids at home. So we need to be extra careful. Just tonight, I was unloading the three kids from the minivan after a trip out for ice cream (our end of school year tradition) and my hubby was out with Tucker. Thank goodness he had the line on him, because he went CRAZY with excitement when me and the kids got out of the car, lunging and biting at me, happier than happy. So, into the crate for a very short timeout he went. Within seconds, full recovery. We do love Tucker, but his lack of control over that mouth of his when he gets overexcited has really taken some getting used to! So I totally know what you're dealing with.

·
Registered
417 Posts
One more thing to add - we actually had a trainer come to our house to work with us on this problem, as it was VERY bad for us when Tucker was between 8-10 months. We were told by her that everything we were doing was the right thing. The post by quilter's mom is very similar to how we handle our furball when he gets this way. He's getting MUCH better, but there are still those moments when we don't realize he's overtired or as stimulated as he apparently is. We'll probably always deal with a bit of a lack of impulse control from our Tucker, but as I said, with consistent training and patience (and just plain growing up on his part!), it has gotten much better.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Hank got the zoomies the other evening when my brother stopped by with his dog. Then the other dog joined in. Oh my, two dogs with the zoomies!!! It was so fun to watch. The only thing to do is ...stand back!

Reactions: laprincessa

·
Registered
53 Posts
Riley does this occasionally, especially if I am filling up his little pool, he will get wide open jumping the pool several times until suddenly he lands right in the middle. Now last night he had an accident with the zoomies, I took him out for a potty break and off he went all over the back yard, he come around the corner and went air born hitting me in the chest and knocking me backwards, when he went to the ground he started yelping and holding up his paw. he tried to get up and couldn't, so I picked him up and carried him on the porch. I was scared to death he had broke his leg, I checked it and after a few minutes he started sitting it on the floor. Today he is walking on it fine and just favors it after he has laid down for a while.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts