Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gracie's left eye is watery and yellow stuff coming ouT, she is winking and rubbing it with her paw. It started yesterday and it's worst today. She acts happy and healthy.

Anyone know of any more remedy eye wash? I was told washing it with tea might help?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Gracie needs to be seen by a veterinarian. She could have an infection (the yellow discharge is an indication) and need prescription antibiotics. The fact she is winking and rubbing it indicates it's bothering her and she could scratch her corneas trying to rub at it, causing pain and possible permanent damage. Eyes are something that need veterinary care. Please see a vet.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Ditto what Dallas Gold said. You never "wait" on eyes....

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Yup, definitely time to see your vet. I never mess with eyes. And I would not want to put anything in the eye without knowing what the problem was. It could be anything from allergies to a scratch to an ulcer, or even something piercing her eye.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tundra had to go yesterday for an eye "issue". He had been to the groomers that morning and loves to roll/wallow in the grass as soon as he gets out of the car. Well, he did that several times in the afternoon and around 4:30 I noticed him blinking. Looked at it and saw it was very red. Off to the vet's office! It wasn't ulcerated....just irritated so he has some ointment (with a steroid in it) to use thru the weekend. The vet said if the redness hasn't cleared up by Monday to call, but it's already better this morning. She did say that eyes are something you can not delay on. She had a person that tried to "treat" their dog's eye for a week and the result for waiting that long was having to remove the eye. Of course now I'll be paranoid every time Tundra goes out and wallows in the grass....he tends to push his face along in the grass. So, a vet visit and the groomer....$85 day.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Tundra had to go yesterday for an eye "issue". He had been to the groomers that morning and loves to roll/wallow in the grass as soon as he gets out of the car. Well, he did that several times in the afternoon and around 4:30 I noticed him blinking. Looked at it and saw it was very red. Off to the vet's office! It wasn't ulcerated....just irritated so he has some ointment (with a steroid in it) to use thru the weekend. The vet said if the redness hasn't cleared up by Monday to call, but it's already better this morning. She did say that eyes are something you can not delay on. She had a person that tried to "treat" their dog's eye for a week and the result for waiting that long was having to remove the eye. Of course now I'll be paranoid every time Tundra goes out and wallows in the grass....he tends to push his face along in the grass. So, a vet visit and the groomer....$85 day.
I met a lot of owners with dogs with eye problems during the course of Toby's cataract removal surgery. One of them was a couple with a poodle. She was in for eyelid surgery--a groomer at Petsmart cut her lid in two! She was in incredible pain. Petsmart was paying for the entire surgery, meds and recovery. The family was understandably upset and the clinic was sparing nothing to help that poor little poodle out of her pain. Be careful at the groomers!!

I'm glad you had your dog looked at right away. Toby's had one cataract since we adopted him at 6 months (it was congenital). About a week after we adopted him we were giving him a bath and got shampoo in the other eye--I was so nervous about blinding him I rushed him to our vet after trying to flush out the shampoo. He was very irritated and trying to rub it. He was trying to rub it on the ground too, which is very dangerous according to his ophthalmologist. Thank goodness we took him in right away! They were able to flush it better, prescribe an ointment and we got the same instructions you did. He was fine, we were much more careful about bathing him too! Lesson learned. :doh:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so we are back from the vet. They did the eye stain/black light thing and found a minor cut and slight infection. $105.00 later we now have to put an ointment in her eye 3 times per day for 5-7 days.

She was much better for about 2 hours....all of a sudden she started rubbing her eye on the floor and scratching it with her paw.....now she's acting sick and wont open the eye.....starting to panic here....

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Can you call the vet back? Do you have an e-collar you can put on her, so she can't rub the eye?

Possibly she's reacting to the ointment.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to get a comfy cone right now since she will be using it next week after her spay.....which maybe delayed if the eye thing isnt over with yet. update, shes up and causing trouble again and the eye is wide open......I think I just need to quit micro managing the poor dog :)

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I am going to get a comfy cone right now since she will be using it next week after her spay.....which maybe delayed if the eye thing isnt over with yet. update, shes up and causing trouble again and the eye is wide open......I think I just need to quit micro managing the poor dog :)
LOL-I hear you there :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I met a lot of owners with dogs with eye problems during the course of Toby's cataract removal surgery. One of them was a couple with a poodle. She was in for eyelid surgery--a groomer at Petsmart cut her lid in two! She was in incredible pain. Petsmart was paying for the entire surgery, meds and recovery. The family was understandably upset and the clinic was sparing nothing to help that poor little poodle out of her pain. Be careful at the groomers!!

I'm glad you had your dog looked at right away. Toby's had one cataract since we adopted him at 6 months (it was congenital). About a week after we adopted him we were giving him a bath and got shampoo in the other eye--I was so nervous about blinding him I rushed him to our vet after trying to flush out the shampoo. He was very irritated and trying to rub it. He was trying to rub it on the ground too, which is very dangerous according to his ophthalmologist. Thank goodness we took him in right away! They were able to flush it better, prescribe an ointment and we got the same instructions you did. He was fine, we were much more careful about bathing him too! Lesson learned. :doh:
Tundra only has a bath at the groomers since he's got a pretty short coat. It looks like they put an ointment in his eyes when he gets a bath. I've never even worried about him rubbing his face in the grass when he's rolling around. And of course now with it getting cooler, the grass is getting "crispy".

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Tundra only has a bath at the groomers since he's got a pretty short coat. It looks like they put an ointment in his eyes when he gets a bath. I've never even worried about him rubbing his face in the grass when he's rolling around. And of course now with it getting cooler, the grass is getting "crispy".
That's good you don't have an eye rubber when outside. It's the crispy grass that the eye doctor worries about, along with the twigs and rocks that are on the ground. I guess he's seen some pretty horrible things in his 30+ years of practice.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm so glad you got her seen by a vet--a scratch can lead to all sorts of problems if not caught early and treated. So glad you are getting treatment for the infection as well. The cone is probably a very good idea at this point. If she's like my "houdini" dog, you may need to secure it to her collar by punching holes in the cone by the neck and running the elastic ties through it and around the collar--cutting the excess ties. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Actually, ophthalmologists want a stiff cone, not the comfy cone. The comfy cone is too flexible, in fact I have one here for Tiki post spay, etc and it would certainly not fly as adequate eye protection.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, ophthalmologists want a stiff cone, not the comfy cone. The comfy cone is too flexible, in fact I have one here for Tiki post spay, etc and it would certainly not fly as adequate eye protection.
Thank you for the tip. Did the comfy cone work for spay?

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Yes, this is what our ophthalmologist required. We bought one from them that you could attach to a collar and by the time Toby was out of it we had dents everywhere--the ophthalmologist knew!!;)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Sea Monster, I turned into an owner(not vet) when Tiki got spayed. We actually used an inflatable "donut". it worked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts