Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Comets Mommie!
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in agility? i am starting to "try" to teach comet some tricks like i am going ta get a see saw and a dog walk and a tire jump and the weave thing and tips?

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
How old is your dog?

KatieandDusty and I both do a lot of agility. You can see pix of our dogs in action on the Obedience and Agility thread. She has Dusty and Boo and I have Quiz.

Feel free to ask questions!

Happy Training!

-Stephanie

·
Comets Mommie!
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well today we made a very good improve ment!! comet jumped through a hoop for the first time today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and he did it 1 more time after that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) and i finallly got the weaving poles finished ( i used pvc pipe and painted them white! i'm going to get some red and blue tape to put on it) (the blue for the jump thing)we still got to go get some stuff for the jump but i have been useing some rop with stuff underneath it!( he would just walk underneath it!)lol! but he is doing really good on it! and while i put him on one side i hold him on stay(we are working on it) and go to the other side and say ok then when he starts to jump i say jump! is that right? well thhhhhaaaatttttts alll folks! lol

dana

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi Dana,
What is the height you are jumping Comet and how tall is he (from the shoulders down). When Lilli was 8 months old the highest I would jump her was 12 inches. Being a bigger breed you need to make sure their growth plates are closed before jumping them at a reg. height which is usually 1 year old.. Sounds like you are having fun..

·
Comets Mommie!
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
comet is 22 in. high and comet will be 1 in 38 days and i am jumping him a foot off the ground!

hawtee- are you in agility?

·
Comets Mommie!
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i also need some help! i need some help with comet jumping through a hula hoop,what he does is he stands near it and brings his paw up and pulls it down and then walk through it and then jumps! at first it was funny but now its just getting annoying!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Keep the hula hoop really low and gradually lift as he gains his confidence. Also, you can try having someone else hold the hoop and you toss food or a toy through the hoop. Make sure he is back a few paces from the hoop when you start so that he can get his stride. Also, experiment with how much "arc" you put on your toss as that will influence his jump.

Keep jumps low until at least 18 months.

Keep it fun and exciting! Quit when the dog still wants to play.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts