Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The facility I train at in the fall and winter months, has one to two agility fun matches a month. Spring and summer too many trials, no one around to work. LOL So today was the first one we have had for this "season".

It was a nested standard course, you get 2 minutes on the course and can do whatever you want. I decided to run Teddi on the excellent course, instead of learn two courses (one for Belle one for Teddi) Teddi was a STAR!!!! I was so proud of her. She stayed at the start line, I lead out past the 2nd jump, and she did the opening piece, two jumps to a left turn (HARD) to jump slice back over fence 2 again, and up the A frame, but I ran Teddi past the A frame since it was full height, and she is not playing at full height. Then I pushed her to a double, through a chute, and sent her left (WOO HOO) to the next 3 jumps while I moved right to position myself, for the next piece. I was SO proud of her and she was MOVING FAST!!! (feet don't fail me now) She was not on her best weave behavior but I was so thrilled with all the rest she did, I could not be upset. All green dogs go through a regression at the weaves, it may just have been her time. She did them fine her last run.

I did let her do the dog walk, and teeter and she nailed her contacts! She did sneak behind me once when I was doing a front cross, and ran up the A frame. :doh: Since she did not have enough speed, she started scrambling. I just walked over and lifted her down and off we ran the rest of the course. Such a silly girl!

I am so proud of her! I am hoping she can advance to the next agility class after the next session. This may show us she is about ready.

Of course I had Belle there too, I did two runs with her and she was wonderful as always! Someone told me I need her to see me as the reward, so she gets excited about playing with me. I wonder how you do that?

Ann

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I want photos!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Of course I had Belle there too, I did two runs with her and she was wonderful as always! Someone told me I need her to see me as the reward, so she gets excited about playing with me. I wonder how you do that?

Ann
Glad the three of you had a great day!

Figure out how she likes to play with you best, without any props like toys. For my dogs, Flip and Conner like to play really rough. They like me to grab chunks for their skin, bounce them in the air, roll them on their backs, etc. Colby does not want me to touch him hardly at all, he just likes when I throw my arms up to release him and he'll spin around and jump up on me. If he puts his front feet on me I know he's asking for a bit of a butt rub. Annabel likes for me to get on the ground with her.

Once you figure out how she likes to play best, practice by having her do one thing and then release her to play. Then gradually increase the number of behaviors she does in a row and randomly release to play.

My dogs love treats, some really like to play tug, but there is nothing like just me and the dog interacting together without anything else between us.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad the three of you had a great day!

Figure out how she likes to play with you best, without any props like toys. For my dogs, Flip and Conner like to play really rough. They like me to grab chunks for their skin, bounce them in the air, roll them on their backs, etc. Colby does not want me to touch him hardly at all, he just likes when I throw my arms up to release him and he'll spin around and jump up on me. If he puts his front feet on me I know he's asking for a bit of a butt rub. Annabel likes for me to get on the ground with her.

Once you figure out how she likes to play best, practice by having her do one thing and then release her to play. Then gradually increase the number of behaviors she does in a row and randomly release to play.

My dogs love treats, some really like to play tug, but there is nothing like just me and the dog interacting together without anything else between us.
Great ideas thanks! To be honest, we have always played with props (toys or food) so this will be an adventure in learning for us. Belle does like butt rubs!!!!

I want photos!
Sorry, no photos. My photographer was being the chute fluffer. He didn't plan on videoing or taking pics this time. Maybe next time.

Ann

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Sounds like so much fun!!! Way to go Teddi!

What kind of games do you play with Belle? Like Jodie said, I push both Barley and Mira around and play rough, they love it. Tug is a good interactive game, where they need you to play.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not really "tried" to play with Belle to my knowledge without a "prop". She will "tug" sometimes but that involves a tug toy. I have NEVER gotten her to tug, at a trial or in class.

It was suggested to me as a way of getting her to run faster with me. Lately I seem like I am working a heck of a lot harder than she is LOL. I am calling her, cheering her, encouraging her... It is hard to run and talk and think all at the same time LOL

If I stand at one place, and someone holds Belle, and says "get ready, get ready" then I release her and command her to do certain obstacles on her way to me, she will get very fast like that. I do a "get ready, get set, GO!" game with her at the start line, but she doesn't run the same as if I move away and she is held back. That won't work at a trial. Always something.

I guess I just wish I could get 'consistent' speed out of her. Sometimes she is just so slow :confused: We get one behavior practicing with treats and toys but she KNOWS in the ring I don't have those things. I have to see if what worked at the last trial works again. I am saving that for trials in case it does. I don't want her to get keen on it. However our next trial is not until Jan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts