Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

we made a mistake and brought a puppy from a pet shop, I knew we shouldn’t’ then after trying to find a puppy I started calling pet shops and found one and brought her.
we feed her what they said to feed her “Advanced puppy” dry food with a spoon of the wet food same brand. they said that is what she was having so continue on that.
after a week she had terrible diarrhoea, I called the pet store and they said to stop the wet food, I did that and she continued t be worse. called them the next day and they said give her boiled chicken and rice for a few days.
so we have done that and her poos are getting some lumps, today she started to be very aggressive, growling and laying on her bowl acting like we might steal her food. So I was worried she was starving? not having enough nurturance. I cooked her up vegies, beef mince with pasta and feed her that she has continued to be aggressive with her food. I’m really starting to be worried she will bite the kids as tonight she bit me hard on the hand while growling and being snappy.
I’m so worried her mind isn’t good and maybe there is something wrong with her, she’s going to be a big dog and I’m just so sad I went through a pet shop when I have read everything that said NOT to. my son who has Autism is going to be devastated if we cant keep the dog. he is a very emotional soft natured child and I thought a Golden Retriever would suit his personality.
my sons have played rough with her like with toys and my husband thinks this could be part of the problem, they aren’t mean to her what I mean is they play tug of war and stuff. she has never growled or barked during this play so I’m not really believing that is the issue.
she is also going crazy the way she eats gulping it down, she wasn’t doing this with the dry food and would walk away when we first got her without eating too much.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If she still has diahrrea you should take her to a vet.
I would try to transition back to regular puppy food.
I can't help with the food aggression, but someone on here will be able to

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
stop and take a big breath...

First, have you taken your new puppy to the vet for a check up? Puppies get loose stool easily due to the stress of moving but it's best to have it checked out. She could have parasites or illness that needs meds. A bland diet, just some boiled hamburger or chicken and rice will help until her tummy settles down. I wouldn't add veggies or pasta right now. When her stools become normal again, slowly transition her back to the food she was eating.

Make sure you nor the kids don't bother her while she's eating. She deserves to eat in peace. When you feed her, make her sit and wait until you put her bowl down. Then give her the OK to approach the bowl and eat.

I also would scale back on the rough housing, try calmer types of play. She may be feeling overwhelmed.

I don't think she has something wrong with her mind but pet store puppies have had a much different experience of life than puppies raised in a family enviroment. This doesn't mean she doomed it just means she needs some extra time to adjust and learn her place in your home. Firm but gentle guidance will help her become the pet you hoped for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We just got our new puppy on Thursday and from the recomendation from the breeder (have been breeding Golden's since 1970) suggests: "You should put your hand in you puppy's food every 4 or 5 days while he/she is eating and tell it what a GOOD PUPPY it is. This will teach the idea that it is not necessary to be protective of food." I hope this helps.

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
We have a dog with food aggression and resource guarding behaviors. If you do a search for resource guarding, you should find lots of helpful advices.

One thing I would do differently if we got another puppy is to hand feed from the start and CONTINUE. We hand fed at first, then were told by a dog behaviorist to put our hands in the dog's bowl every so often to teach the dog it's okay--big mistake. It may work for some dogs, but not ours. She got even more aggravated. We've spent the last few months going back and training her to eat out of our hands. At first, she did not want to, but the more she eats from our hands, the less resource guarding behaviors we see. I truly believe that by us being near her food and giving it to her with our hands, she associates us with good things, not bad.

I recommend hand feeding from now on. It only takes me a couple of minutes in the morning. I also use half of her meal as training treats.

Good luck!

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
We just got our new puppy on Thursday and from the recomendation from the breeder (have been breeding Golden's since 1970) suggests: "You should put your hand in you puppy's food every 4 or 5 days while he/she is eating and tell it what a GOOD PUPPY it is. This will teach the idea that it is not necessary to be protective of food." I hope this helps.
This advice may work for a pup/dog that has never shown any inclination towards food aggression, but it's probably not appropriate for a dog that is already showing signs of food aggression.

The post right above mine is very good advice from someone who has been working on the same issue with their puppy. Hand feed the dog its food. If you're not hand feeding the puppy, put the bowl of food down and leave the dog alone.

Hopefully your pup just needs some time to adjust in her new home. In the meantime, ALWAYS make sure your son is away from your puppy while she's eating. You don't want any accidents to happen!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I have never bothered any of my dogs when eating. I always made sure when my kids were young that both dogs and kids were safe when the dogs were eating. A long time ago, I stopped giving my dogs high value treats to gnaw on..so all dogs and people are safe in this household. Hand feeding is a good idea, but putting your hands in the food or even worse, taking the food away is in my opinion a recipe to create resource guarding.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wouldn't take advice from the pet store as to why your dog has diarrhea. Diarrhea isn't a good sign for a young pup, and I would recommend taking the puppy to a vet immediately. Rice hardens the stool, but when you stop feeding the puppy rice, it may continue with the diarrhea.
Don't worry about the aggression right now. Every so often, pet the puppy as he's eating. I'm not sure I would advise to stick your hand in his bowl if he's showing aggression. Just pet him every few days while he's eating and see how he does.

PS - I bought my 7 year old Golden at a puppy store before I ever knew about puppy mills and he is the most AMAZING DOG I have ever had. :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
With a pet store it's a hit or miss, bud came from a farm and if anything is just over excited and just wants to play. Currently trying to crate train/potty train him. I've had him for a week(not so good on potty training..) but he's doing well in the crate and doesn't bark after 20 minutes, I usually just slap my desk a few times and tell him to be quite and he'll be quite.

Bud has shown no signs of food aggression, if the pups young he'll be alright but maybe hand feed and just tell him he's a good boy/girl and eventually it'll go away.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Puppy is being protective, not agressive. He doesn't come over and 'attack' anyone when there's food. But he does 'protect' it if YOU get too close. This is instinct...in an all dog pack, dogs have to protect their food or another dog will take it. It's a natural behavior not a warped mind.

Many new Golden puppy owners think the wonderful adults dogs *came* that way. No! They start as babies who need to be taught not to bite, not to jump, not to pull on the leash, etc. They all start out as rascals!

I suggest having puppy sit while you put food in his bowl. If your son is able, have him put the food in the bowl while you keep the puppy on a leash. Have your son give the release word (we use OKAY in a bright cheery voice) and then you release the puppy so he can go eat. BOTH of you leave the puppy's area until he's finished. He has to have confidence that no one will try to take his food (he doesn't know you don't want it:yuck:).

Also be careful when he has toys or cheweys...he may feel the need to guard all his resources. Gradually he'll become confident that his toys are his alone.

Be sure to enroll in obedience classes as soon as possible. Start looking for the classes now. At the very least he should start classes as soon as he finished with his puppy shots. Many people find classes that start earlier than that.

I second the idea of the vet visit. You and his vet are going to become bff's for a while!

One last thing: PICTURES!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't log back in sorry been reading though.
we took her to the vet, she is on scourban to harden the poos' she said something just threw her tummy out, and she's happy and fine and shoudl be fine. she checked for worms and she had eggs of round worm so gave us some worm meds and more for in two weeks. her poos are hard again and she has settled right down the her food.

I was realy over reacting lol and totally ignorant I think I did fall into the trap of thinking this puppy woudl just be all trained up an deasy because of the breed.
then again she is super easy to train now she is feeling better.
5 times of thowing a ball for her to fetch and bring it back on cue!
she sits when told to and picks up things really easy. Will pop back with a photo later tonight.
thanks so much everyone it was a relief to log in and read everyones replies even if I couldnt' post back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Puppy is being protective, not agressive. He doesn't come over and 'attack' anyone when there's food. But he does 'protect' it if YOU get too close. This is instinct...in an all dog pack, dogs have to protect their food or another dog will take it. It's a natural behavior not a warped mind.

Many new Golden puppy owners think the wonderful adults dogs *came* that way. No! They start as babies who need to be taught not to bite, not to jump, not to pull on the leash, etc. They all start out as rascals!

I suggest having puppy sit while you put food in his bowl. If your son is able, have him put the food in the bowl while you keep the puppy on a leash. Have your son give the release word (we use OKAY in a bright cheery voice) and then you release the puppy so he can go eat. BOTH of you leave the puppy's area until he's finished. He has to have confidence that no one will try to take his food (he doesn't know you don't want it:yuck:).

Also be careful when he has toys or cheweys...he may feel the need to guard all his resources. Gradually he'll become confident that his toys are his alone.

Be sure to enroll in obedience classes as soon as possible. Start looking for the classes now. At the very least he should start classes as soon as he finished with his puppy shots. Many people find classes that start earlier than that.

I second the idea of the vet visit. You and his vet are going to become bff's for a while!

One last thing: PICTURES!!!!!
I cant seem to get a pic to stick in my sig sorry little one in the AV

1 - 12 of 12 Posts